Pierluigi Gollini

BOF

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Don't blame him for the second but the first is all on him.

It isn't really. I mean yes predominately it is on him but not entirely.

Hutton should have done better out wide and Elpwick and possibly even Chester should have done more once the cross came over.

I'm not defending Gollini, he made a big error but it wasn't entirely on him.

7 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

It isn't really. I mean yes predominately it is on him but not entirely.

Hutton should have done better out wide and Elpwick and possibly even Chester should have done more once the cross came over.

I'm not defending Gollini, he made a big error but it wasn't entirely on him.

It's got nothing to do with Hutton?

Yeah maybe the defenders could have done better, but that doesn't take anything away from Gollini's error. What I meant was his error was his fault. You can't blame other players for his balls up.

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It's got nothing to do with Hutton?

Yeah maybe the defenders could have done better, but that doesn't take anything away from Gollini's error. What I meant was his error was his fault. You can't blame other players for his balls up.

I didn't if you read what I posted. His error was his error and it was ultimately the one that cost the goal but other players made errors in the play leading to that.

12 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

It's a pointless debate as to how much of the blame is his, bottom line is that if he did his job properly he wouldn't have let that goal in.

It's a goal regardless, I think. He's not getting to it if he stays on his line, he didn't get to it coming off his line. Obviously the latter looks far worse.

He's young and up & coming, so he'll make mistakes.

If, in Jan, we buy a RB the defence will improve.

Buy 1, 2 or 3 CM's and the midfield will improve, thus protecting an improved defence.

a better defence & midfield will benefit both our attacking play and protection for our GK.

priority thinking ( polar-opposite to RDM thinking) We'll need better back-up than Bunn for sure but I think it will be easier to buy a better RB and CM's than we've got than a better GK than Golly.

However, if dreams do come true and we can buy modern day 

Cafu

Makelele

Best

Charlton

&

Law

Once they're all in, I wouldn't mind a Banks or a Shilton just to complete the set

Edited by Grasshopper
  • Like 1

It struck me that if we make the play-offs that Leeds Vs us could be a realistic play-off match. If we go into a high pressure game like that then I have to say I would prefer to do so with a better keeper - gotta switch him in Jan. 

• Like 1

Same discussion happening with the Liverpool Keeper.

Even De Gea he was considered a "liability" during his first half of a season at Man U. Young keepers do tend to take time to adjust when coming to the UK. 

4 hours ago, sexbelowsound said:

Mistakes happen. I thought it was a peach of a cross that completely caught out both defender and goalkeeper.

Even if he stands on his line does he save it? Haven't watched it back since but I felt like it went top corner like a bullet.

This is my feeling on it.

There was little to no chance that saves it if he stays on his line. Partially because he has to stay somewhat central to guard against the Leeds player missing the ball and it going in at the far post. Coming for it, he increased his opportunity of being able to get to it, but ultimately didn't get there. As you say, where the ball went in meant it was just a goal regardless. The Leeds player didn't see him coming, so him coming didn't even influence the header.

It was just a very, very good ball in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bunnski said:

It was a great cross in but imo he would of saved it easily if he stayed put, it was a perfect height for a keeper and was far enough out for the keeper to react.

Exactly. The rule of thumb for keepers are if you come out for a cross, you have to get something on that ball. 

Maybe if we had Baker player, Baker would have headed it out, but that's irrelevant. Yes it was a good cross, but Gollini made the choice to come out and try to punch/catch, and missed. This falls on Gollini for me. If he stays on his line, easy save and we are not scrambling forward to get an equaliser. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jareth said:

It struck me that if we make the play-offs that Leeds Vs us could be a realistic play-off match. If we go into a high pressure game like that then I have to say I would prefer to do so with a better keeper - gotta switch him in Jan. 

Pretty much how I feel. Whilst I do agree with others that he has potential (although I'm not sure how high it is), we're not in the position to allow a young keeper time to develop. We need to push for promotion this season and given that Gollini has cost us a few times with his errors I think we should look to sign a more steady and experienced keeper in Jan. A keeper isn't a priority above say, two central midfielders and a right back, but should be considered if we can address those areas. 

That said, any more soft goals and a new keeper will jump up the priority list. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

On 04/12/2016 at 08:28, Demitri_C said:

No chance. that was 100% gollinis fault. he hesitated to come out and then when he did he completely missed. very poor goal keeping.  he also at one point didn't come out when amavi was screaming at me him to

That's two games were we have enough lost because of his blunders

Nah, you're wrong.  I mean, you can apportion more blame to Gollini as he came and didn't get the ball, but it's initially the fault of the defence for not keeping Roofe in check.  They do that, he doesn't have a free header and the keeper doesn't need to make a decision.

As for the Amavi incident, crazy to blame the keeper there.  The ball didn't have enough pace on it - would've been suicide to rush out for it.  Amavi was in the wrong.

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

Nah, you're wrong.  I mean, you can apportion more blame to Gollini as he came and didn't get the ball, but it's initially the fault of the defence for not keeping Roofe in check.  They do that, he doesn't have a free header and the keeper doesn't need to make a decision.

As for the Amavi incident, crazy to blame the keeper there.  The ball didn't have enough pace on it - would've been suicide to rush out for it.  Amavi was in the wrong.

Thing is ,if defenders always got there tackles in, always got there blocks in etc - we wouldn't need goalkeepers.

A goalkeeper will be called on to make saves at some points during the match. Gollini IMO wasn't \isn't playing behind a defence that expose him to a unreasonable extent.

A good cross came in and he didn't deal with it. He's young,we move on. We didn't play well enough to deserve anything at leeds so I wouldn't put that on him.

I do think Bruce will pretty sharply bring in a new no 1  keeper in Jan. I think the target for Bruce is promotion not developing young players. By any means promotion do or do not...

Â