Pierluigi Gollini

BOF

I would be interested to know what issues those who think he should be replaced have with him ?  I'm no expert on Keepers but taking a recent example I remember when Guzan first played under MON I thought he looked very weak on crosses, and lacked any sign of being a commanding character.

With Gollini I've not really seen anything  - since those 2/3 early season mistakes - that looks untoward with his play, and would say its pretty early to judge his actual character.

In addition, I'd be interested to know who people think should replace him - I'm not challenging anyone, as in expecting them to know every player, but just genuinely wonder what Keeper we think we can get who is definitely a significantly better one  - because I don't know of any who look both much better and likely to be available.

3 minutes ago, Mr.Messy said:

If Gollini gets injured we are in trouble. Another GK should be a must.

I don't know who, but someone with experience and obviously talent who will come in as an equal to our No.1 Gollini to provide competion.

Agree with the need for a decent back up - but again, how easy is that going to be ? Mid Table Championship Number 2 keeper ?

51 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

That Hugo Lloris chap had a great game for Spurs in the Champions League against Monaco, I reckon we should sign him. 'Cause we can afford to.

Yeah because I said we should by a Champions league keeper.....

By top quality I meant an experienced, older keeper that has played at Premier League level and would come to a club of our current stature. 

The sarcasm in this thread is just childish and sad.

1 minute ago, One For The Road said:

Unfortunately I am not employed as a goalkeeping scout. There must be plenty of players out there can could come to us with the budget we clearly have though.

Ah, the old 'I'm not a scout' line :D

That's a cop out.

I'm not asking a lot. 

Name one who meets your criteria.

• Top quality
  • Older than Gollini
  • Played at PL level
  • Would come to us in the Championship

It's clearly easy as you advocate replacing our current 1 who is in good form. 

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

That's a cop out.

I'm not asking a lot. 

• Top quality
  • Older than Gollini
  • Played at PL level

That's not true at all. Saying that I think a particular player is a weak link has absolutely no correlation with me being able to find a replacement for him. 

Any experienced keeper will do for me.

Get Stuart Taylor back from Saints?

Nothing much against Steer, though I'm not sure when he's back. Don't mind him as backup if he's fit.

I don't want to ever see Bunn play for us again. I'd be better.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

That's not true at all. Saying that I think a particular player is a weak link has absolutely no correlation with me being able to find a replacement for him. 

Even taking that into account, if you're this vocal against replacing him, with such clear criteria in place, you must have even a rough idea of who we should get.

So to summarise this exchange.

We should replace our young, improving with every game, in-form keeper because 'we can afford to'. His replacement has to be someone who is experienced at PL level, 'top quality', older than Gollini and willing to come to a championship club, yet even just off the top of your head, you can't even put forward one idea.

I'm beginning to think you didn't think this one through.

Edited by StefanAVFC

4 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Even taking that into account, if you're this vocal against replacing him, with such clear criteria in place, you must have even a rough idea of who we should get.

So to summarise this exchange.

We should replace our young, improving with every game, in-form keeper because 'we can afford to'. His replacement has to be someone who is experienced at PL level, 'top quality', older than Gollini and willing to come to a championship club, yet even just off the top of your head, you can't even put forward one idea.

I'm beginning to think you didn't think this one through.

I just think we need a more experienced keeper if we are to push for the play offs. Things will get very testing as the season progresses and I think it's a lot for a young lad to come over from Italy for the first time and be number 1 for a team chasing promotion.

At the very least we need a quality keeper to compete with him. For me a new keeper is an absolute must. 

Edited by One For The Road

3 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

At the very least we need a quality keeper to compete with him. For me a new keeper is an absolute must. 

I agree FWIW.

But as a number 1 to replace him. Not while he's playing well.

10 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Any experienced keeper will do for me.

Get Stuart Taylor back from Saints?

Nothing much against Steer, though I'm not sure when he's back. Don't mind him as backup if he's fit.

I don't want to ever see Bunn play for us again. I'd be better.

I had to check that out but he is still at a Premier League club. He has made a fine career out of being a No.3 goalkeeper

just checked his stats and his 2nd most appearances at a club was for Villa :lol:

• Like 3

I dont think Gollini needs to be replaced, but our options are so poor that a another keeper is a must. If we can find a good keeper that is happy to come here as a number 2, fantastic. If not and we have the opportunity to sign a good number 1, again, i think we must. Not because Gollini is poor, but because Bunn is simply atrocious . 

As long as we address the priorities of centre mid and right back first, I wouldnt be against us getting another keeper. To replace Bunn, not Gollini, that is. If or when Gollini is injured, we may be in trouble there. Wouldnt dream of replacing Gollini. He is going to be a monster for us.

We are after a keeper but not a number 1, we need back up with Steer and Watkins being injured and Bunn being er Bunn. Even with Bunn we are an injury away from a keeping crises.

We need one in January and I'm sure we will get one, most likely on loan.

• Like 1

Konstantopoulos at Middlesbrough

McGregor at Hull (not playing and signed by Bruce I believe)

Given??

Just 3 keepers I thought of that aren't playing at their current clubs and would add competition to our goalkeeping area and help Gollini's development. 

As well as he is playing, and as much as I want him to do well and be our number 1 for years to come, I think we are weak in the keeping department and Bunn should be moved on to allow a stronger second option. 

If there is a dramatic drop of form, I'd rather we had a capable keeper as back up to come in and take the heat off him for a few weeks instead of leaving him out there week after week in the limelight like the start of this season 

20 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

That's a cop out.

I'm not asking a lot. 

• Top quality
  • Older than Gollini
  • Played at PL level

Anders Lindegaard

• Like 1

Â