Pierluigi Gollini

BOF

On 26/11/2016 at 02:14, KSV said:

So he has confirmed he wants a goal keeper. Now do we buy an experienced number 1 and let Gollini learn.. or a capable back up keeper who would be willing to move to be no.2 in the championship 

Regardless we need somebody to push Gollini. Bunn is a nice guy but a complete waste of a shirt. Steer is out for the season too with an ACL injury? I couldn't even tell you who is next in line. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Regardless we need somebody to push Gollini. Bunn is a nice guy but a complete waste of a shirt. Steer is out for the season too with an ACL injury? I couldn't even tell you who is next in line. 

Didn't we sign some young keeper from Anderlecht?  Probably him.

On 26/11/2016 at 03:14, KSV said:

So he has confirmed he wants a goal keeper. Now do we buy an experienced number 1 and let Gollini learn.. or a capable back up keeper who would be willing to move to be no.2 in the championship 

Not sure if you are serious. We need to buy a much better number 1 if we are to have any hope of making the play offs. We aren't bound by the financial restrictions of most 2nd tier clubs so there is no need at all to have cheap rookie goalkeeper as our number 1. Especially when we have 50 odd million up front.

12 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

Not sure if you are serious. We need to buy a much better number 1 if we are to have any hope of making the play offs. We aren't bound by the financial restrictions of most 2nd tier clubs so there is no need at all to have cheap rookie goalkeeper as our number 1. Especially when we have 50 odd million up front.

Really?

Gollini has been very good after a bit of expected shakiness in the first few games. Wanting another number one keeper when he's in good form and playing well is totally pointless.

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 2

On 28/11/2016 at 13:25, bannedfromHandV said:

I'd rather see us continue developing Gollini, he's shown enough for me to warrant it.

That said, if an opportunity comes up to buy a quality player then you shouldn't pass it up based on sentiment.

I don't think it's even sentimental. Gollini has made mistakes and is learning from them. This is his first season playing in English football let alone with Villa.

I don't get the clamour for replacing him. He's a good goalkeeper who is progressing and developing the more he plays for us. Having continuity in this department is a massive strength for any team. All goalkeepers make errors - it's their other work that they should be judged on. For me, Gollini shows the traits of being a good keeper for a long while. 

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

Really?

Gollini has been very good after a bit of expected shakiness in the first few games. Wanting another number one keeper when he's in good form and playing well is totally pointless.

Not buying a a better keeper when you can afford one is pointless. He may have improved a bit but he is still far from the finished article. We can do better. So we should. Simple really.

Just now, One For The Road said:

Bringing in a top quality keeper is a priority in my view. Thats just my opinion. He is a young lad an do should fight for his place and learn the ropes. He is doing OK at the moment but I think he is a weak link in our squad. As I said, that's just my opinion.

A few things here.

1) We're a championship club. I've seen you post plenty that you don't expect us to go up this year. Yet you want a top quality keeper. I'm sorry but mid table championship clubs don't get 'top quality' anything, especially in January.

2) You don't need to tell me twice it's your opinion, I guessed that and it's your right to have one but it's my right to totally disagree.

3) You say that he needs to 'fight for his place'. You aren't arguing for that. You're saying he should outright be replaced. You're contradicting yourself.

He has fought for his place after a ropey start, didn't crumble under the pressure and now he's in good form and only getting better. I would argue all of this is evidence of him 'learning the ropes'. And anyway, what better way is there to 'learn the ropes' than playing time?

4) Buying another keeper to replace him, now he's in good form, would send all the wrong messages about the club and possibly deter other young players from moving here.

Buy another keeper, keep him on the bench to push Gollini to get better, sure. If Gollini has a relapse, then we have somebody better to step in. Competition is great. Bit of a waste of money while Gollini is in good form but fine.

However, buying another keeper to replace him just because we can, even though our current number 1 is in good form. Unnecessary and unfair to Gollini. 

2 hours ago, One For The Road said:

Peter Ridsdale likes this post.

article-2430715-0049031A00000258-26_634x

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

Not buying a a better keeper when you can afford one is pointless. He may have improved a bit but he is still far from the finished article. We can do better. So we should. Simple really.

Should we also replace Grealish and Amavi with better players because they aren't the finished article?

Gollini is slowly turning into a very good keeper, and this is coming through starting games consistently. To go out and buy a 'more experienced keeper' right now would be madness.

There are areas of the side that need improving in January and our keeper is not one of them.

Midfielders, a right back and possibly a left winger should be priorities with whatever funds we have left without breaking FFP.

17 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

Bringing in a top quality keeper is a priority in my view. Thats just my opinion. He is a young lad and should fight for his place whilst learning the ropes. An experienced keeper could help him to improve. He is doing OK at the moment but I think he is a weak link in our squad. As I said, that's just my opinion.

I disagree, I don't see him as a weak link and whilst I cannot speak on behalf of everyone here I'd suggest you're in the minority.

Out of interest, given your strong views and what we should be doing in this department, who should we sign to replace Gollini?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Out of interest, given your strong views and what we should be doing in this department, who should we sign to replace Gollini?

Don't be daft, that isn't his job. He should be top quality though.

• Like 1

Does anyone remember how many mistakes De Gea made in his first season of English football? I really like what i've seen recently from Gollini he's produced a few game-saving moments recently, keep the lad.

Edited by carewjust4u

Â