Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

15 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Sure. But if just one person doesn't want to go then that's the end of it. 

I can only assume that will be the case. If someone is the owner you can't kick them out unless they want to - and I guess most people would take silly money to move. A bit like winning the lottery. 

Are those private houses? Or council owned?

Edited by Mic09

1 hour ago, Mic09 said:

I can only assume that will be the case. If someone is the owner you can't kick them out unless they want to - and I guess most people would take silly money to move. A bit like winning the lottery. 

Are those private houses? Or council owned?

It’s hard to tell, with the ‘right to buy’ they could all have been council owned/registered social landlord administered, but now be privately owned. You would have to do a land registry check on each house.

(I’m a Planner)

Edited by alreadyexists

I think a 3 tier wrap-around of the Trinity and North would look good and wouldn't diminish the 'old school' feeling of the ground too much whilst adding what, up to 10,000 more seats?

Would be money well spent if we perform well this season given ticket sales...........

4 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Would ardent fans of staying at VP be against moving if there was a cast iron case to move and progress the club and benefit supporters? 

good luck to them with that case

the problem is VP in its current condition isn't that bad or that far behind to justify it and its probably another 20-30 years off being there, there would be the opinion that there are too many solutions on the current site (which there are)

and I still think the problems for the owners are not attendance related, its corporate and non match day revenues, the latter would definitely be improved by relocating and creating an area similar to resorts world / stab city around the ground (which in themselves present the owners with a problem - the north of the city already has 2 of those type of places, one of them dying on its ass)

• Like 1

Villa Park is one of the best connected stadiums in the country.  Immediately off the heart of the UK motorway network and 2 railway stations.

The answer is redevelopment of the area, which is actually happening to some extent with the commercial units which are being built in the vicinity - the new wholesale market site etc.  It's actually only a small area between Villa Park and The Gun Quarter (an easily walk-able stretch) which needs developing and I am sure the City Planners have their eye on it already.

Citeh have developed huge areas around their ground, Liverpool are doing so also, no reason why we shouldn't.   The owners are certainly wealthy enough.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Is there something to say it wont?!

I know quite a few people that do Compulsory Purchase valuations for either side and with the amount of money spent I'd be amazed if it gets cancelled. It will go way, way over budget, but don't see them scrapping it.

I work with IT professionals and last year I was speaking to a senior Business Analyst who was employed on the HS2 but was looking for a new job. To cut the long story short, he called it a massive joke. No numbers add up, things aren't in place, it's no more than a sophisticated plan that sees no light at the end of the tunnel.

I think they will go ahead with it and by 2030 we will have it ready. But plenty of things can happen in this time so I would not be surprised if this badly designed project fell through with the change of government/policy/financial crisis or other unknown factors that are yet to play out.

Either way, in a dream world, if we did have a new Villa Park I would like to have it built there.

24 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

What about a purpose built stadium at the site of the planned Curzon Street station should HS2 not go ahead? Just around the corner from Aston?

they've started the enabling works already and they have tied the project in to several other developments, plonking a football stadium in the middle of it would piss too many people off

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

they've started the enabling works already and they have tied the project in to several other developments, plonking a football stadium in the middle of it would piss too many people off

See my post above ;) Its a long process and many things can happen. 

@Mic09

Can't say I disagree with any of that! From the surveyor/valuation end of things it also sounds like the whole thing is an absolute shambles.

I heard something a few months ago that would have surprised me if I hadn't worked for the Civil Service in the past*; apparently when HS2 was costed, they didn't make any adjustments for rising land value to take into account valuations wouldn't be set for a long, long time after costing the project.

* not a dig at Civil Servants, just the fact all organisations are well under funded causing anyone decent to either move on or become completely apathetic.

If Spurs can redevelop White Heart Lane like they have, I'm sure we can do the same!

I believe that if the footy had been better under MON, we could have easily filled a 50k seater stadium.  Despite the fact we we finished 6th 3 seasons straight, our home record was pretty poor due to playing the same 11 players and the same counter attacking football week in week out!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, New_Hope said:

our home record was pretty poor due to playing the same 11 players and the same counter attacking football week in week out!

We should've definitely played more sitting-back-football and got Salifou and Habib Beye on the pitch more often.

MoN was a one-trick pony but I find that logic a bit weird!

1 hour ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

We should've definitely played more sitting-back-football and got Salifou and Habib Beye on the pitch more often.

MoN was a one-trick pony but I find that logic a bit weird!

There was a buzz and excitement about the takeover and his appointment.  Attendances rose greatly to around the 39-40k in his first season....by his last season they had dropped off to the mid 30k as our home record wasn't very good due to his management style and the squad he built for £££ and failed to use.  That first season, we could have filled a 50k VP easily.

15 minutes ago, New_Hope said:

There was a buzz and excitement about the takeover and his appointment.  Attendances rose greatly to around the 39-40k in his first season....by his last season they had dropped off to the mid 30k as our home record wasn't very good due to his management style and the squad he built for £££ and failed to use.  That first season, we could have filled a 50k VP easily.

Didn't Randy have planning permission in place to rebuild the North Stand round that time?  Sadly the demise of the team killed off any plans like that.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Didn't Randy have planning permission in place to rebuild the North Stand round that time?  Sadly the demise of the team killed off any plans like that.

Villa have been talking about a  redeveloped North Stand for at about 20 years since the Trinity Road was rebuilt somewhat controversially. 

Indeed I have the programme from 2000 gathering dust (versus Derby I think) in which the plan was for the new Trinity followed by the corners being filled in. Which never happened. 

If you are a stadium nerd then fill your boots. The North Stand became dated when top flight stadiums had to become all seater. This meant that Villa Park capacity lowered due to the new seated Holte End and the North Lower moving from standing to seats. Having a goalpost design makes adding corners difficult as an entire new cantilevered roof would be required.  It would be more cost effective therefore to flatten and start again sometime in the future considering how dated it is. Hopefully.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

Villa have been talking about a  redeveloped North Stand for at about 20 years since the Trinity Road was rebuilt somewhat controversially. 

Indeed I have the programme from 2000 gathering dust (versus Derby I think) in which the plan was for the new Trinity followed by the corners being filled in. Which never happened. 

If you are a stadium nerd then fill your boots. The North Stand became dated when top flight stadiums had to become all seater. This meant that Villa Park capacity lowered due to the new seated Holte End and the North Lower moving from standing to seats. Having a goalpost design makes adding corners difficult as an entire new cantilevered roof would be required.  It would be more cost effective therefore to flatten and start again sometime in the future considering how dated it is. Hopefully.

I think the other problem with extending the North Stand (as opposed to knocking it down) is that structurally the top deck is literally hanging from the goal post style pillars.  Taking off the roof effectively means the end of it anyway!

When re building The North Stand, it needs to be a single tier. We made the mistake of making the Holte End a double tier. Would that effect the corporate side of things though? Or is that a stupid question. 

Edited by Rugeley Villa

Tell you what, I watch football all over Europe year after year. And the amount of plasticcy or/and soulless stadiums out there is just sad. Villa Park is a god damn national treasure and any development should reflect it. 

Still annoys me I never got to see the old Trinity Road Stand. 

• Like 1

On 06/08/2019 at 19:28, New_Hope said:

And that right there is the exact reason we shouldn't be wasting our money building a new stadium.

Attendances rise and fall with the form of the team. There are around 30k fans that will be there week in week out, and that is what the club need to cater to with an extra 10k more to capture the match day sales.

You look at teams like Liverpool, Tottenham, Newcastle & Arsenal, they sell out almost every single week which is why their capacities eclipse ours. 

Â