Jump to content
Adblockers - please click ×
Sign in to follow this  
Phumfeinz

Villa Park redevelopment

Recommended Posts

On 18/08/2019 at 16:04, OutByEaster? said:

I think our capacity for this season will be near to 41,500 with the closure of R1 and the netting keeping the segregation on place. There were noticeably empty seats in a couple of areas, including the away end - but if those are sold, they'd still count toward the attendance. Home tickets definitely sold out, so I'm guessing the away end didn't.

 

Attendance for Everton was I think 41.9k so looks like that will be sell out attendance this season. Does seem we've lost 700 or so seats in last few years as I always remember in the past 42.6k seemed to be maximum crowd we could get in but as you saw the corner between North stand and away fans isn't used anymore and must be close to 500 seats in that section.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Surely everyone knew this at least 2 years ago when Birmingham won (well no else wanted it) the bid for 2022? Sounds like a easy cop-out and that the new owners were not keen on 2 days of egg-chasing. 

Its a shame as it is one less event in Birmingham and the athletic village is going to be in Perry Barr so it would be have been ideal. I thought it would have been some decent PR. Ibrox hosted the Severns back in 2014, now this time it is going to be in a stadium outside the host city and 20,000 smaller when compared to  Glasgow. It is also less environmentally friendly by having it in a stadium which I believe has a nearby station which is not open during event days when compared to Villa Park with 2 nearby stations.

History is repeating itself as for 2012 Villa Park was to host football games and then said we would be doing 'redevelopment works' during that summer so it went to the Ricoh.

Nothing happened on the North Stand that time either.

I seem to remember the Dr sniffing around the bid, offering help in some sort of advisory role and thought at the time that a wealthy Chinese businessman with a doctorate in urban planning courting favour with the council of a city that is ripe for redevelopment made a lot of sense, wasn't 100% sure what he was after but I thought it was more than just a football club

with him gone the owners might not have the slightest bit of interest in the games, or more likely they've had some chats with the council about the benefits of hosting the games and found that they council want our owners cash to spruce up parts of their city or fund the management of the event and they rightly said no thanks

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bournemouth didn’t sell out at our place. There were a few hundred in the upper Doug Ellis that they didn’t sell out. Our capacity is less than 42k now and has been for a few seasons. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Our capacity is less than 42k now

Not so sure about that. The Everton game crowd was announced as 41,922 and although the seats for us lot were "Sold Out", the full attendance including  all exec seats, boxes, media etc. looked to have quite a few unsold empty seats that might take it just over 42K.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, blandy said:

Not so sure about that. The Everton game crowd was announced as 41,922 and although the seats for us lot were "Sold Out", the full attendance including  all exec seats, boxes, media etc. looked to have quite a few unsold empty seats that might take it just over 42K.

Is the crowd announced on ticket sales , or fans through the gates? If it’s on ticket sales, which I think it is, then our capacity might be below 42k. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Bournemouth didn’t sell out at our place. There were a few hundred in the upper Doug Ellis that they didn’t sell out. Our capacity is less than 42k now and has been for a few seasons. 

Pretty sure Bournemouth didn't make general sale, or Everton as I tried to get tickets for both games but couldn't as nothing was available on the website.

I'm guessing the odd empty seat here and there is due to people not turning up after buying tickets and certain sections left empty for segregation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Pretty sure Bournemouth didn't make general sale, or Everton as I tried to get tickets for both games but couldn't as nothing was available on the website.

I'm guessing the odd empty seat here and there is due to people not turning up after buying tickets and certain sections left empty for segregation. 

Bournemouth never made GS but Everton did. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Bournemouth never made GS but Everton did. 

Must have sold out by the time I tried to get a ticket then.

I wonder if there is a cut off point for people to return tickets. You see empty seats here and there that must be paid for, just the person not turning up. Can't imagine people are that loaded that they can't be bothered to sell their seat back to the club for resale. £35+ is decent money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most games somebody doesn’t turn up for whatever reason. When I can’t make it like Everton for example , I pass my season ticket on to my mate. Regardless of what our capacity is, it’s nice to see the sold out signs going up every game. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a small patch of seats right in lower part of the Holte next to the DE stand in which Villa never sell anymore. I mean the view is restricted but is not bad- if they took £5-10 of the price I am sure they could sell them.  Unless they think it s a safety issue that people could jump over it and fall out of the stand?!

Also has anyone else seen that they are now selling exec seats in the North Stand again after giving it a  refurb? That is on top of the Villa Village and Academy given a lick of paint as well which was strange as I thought they were knocking them down in the summer.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@The Fun Factory I was looking at that exact same patch of seats today as I was booking a couple for the Burnley game (ended up in Trinity upper again). Like you say, I'm surprised they can't call them "Extreme Restricted View" and sell them at a knockdown price. It's more money for the club and more Villa voices in the ground, after all. I hadn't thought of any Health & Safety / Falling over the edge reasons for non-sale, though your comment did remind me of playing "Lemmings" on the Amiga 500.

This new "Gas Lamp Lounge" in the North Stand sounds interesting (from the promotional piece on the official website at least). Someone mentioned on this thread that the North Stand hospitality boxes were all being knocked through and I guess this is the result of it. So, a kind of budget executive experience with tickets for the lounge starting from £75? Sounds very good in principle. I'm already thinking birthday treat for my old dad. Just hope they have made a good job of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Five Ken McNaughts said:

@The Fun Factory I was looking at that exact same patch of seats today as I was booking a couple for the Burnley game (ended up in Trinity upper again). Like you say, I'm surprised they can't call them "Extreme Restricted View" and sell them at a knockdown price. It's more money for the club and more Villa voices in the ground, after all. I hadn't thought of any Health & Safety / Falling over the edge reasons for non-sale, though your comment did remind me of playing "Lemmings" on the Amiga 500.

This new "Gas Lamp Lounge" in the North Stand sounds interesting (from the promotional piece on the official website at least). Someone mentioned on this thread that the North Stand hospitality boxes were all being knocked through and I guess this is the result of it. So, a kind of budget executive experience with tickets for the lounge starting from £75? Sounds very good in principle. I'm already thinking birthday treat for my old dad. Just hope they have made a good job of it.

Compared to old grounds like Goodison Park or Loftus Road the view from there can't be that bad.

A fun fact is that the reason why the North Stand boxes are like they are is down to David Cameron's uncle, William Dugdale. He was the Villa chairman at the time and in a true toryboy fashion asked why can't they have two levels of executive boxes rather than one. I picked that up from Simon Inglis magnificent Villa Park- 100 years book.

Edited by The Fun Factory

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did not know that. Thanks for the book tip. Am currently reading "Aston Villa: A Nostalgic Look at a Century of the Club." Could look at those old pictures all day long. It got me thinking – I would love to see the the new owners invite Peter McParland to be guest of honour for a home game this season. The idea of him taking the applause from a sell-out Villa Park singing his name is enough to give anyone goosebumps. North American sports do so much more to honour past heroes (as Wes Edens will well know). We should do these things, not just wait for the black armband days.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have heard on BBC WM this morning that our owners are looking to purchase Villa Park and it's looked at from a possible perspective of FFP breach. 

Has anyone heard any more about this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

I have heard on BBC WM this morning that our owners are looking to purchase Villa Park and it's looked at from a possible perspective of FFP breach. 

Has anyone heard any more about this?

FFP thread? Seeing as it's not related to redevelopment of the ground.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

I have heard on BBC WM this morning that our owners are looking to purchase Villa Park and it's looked at from a possible perspective of FFP breach. 

Has anyone heard any more about this?

This purchase has already happened, the owners bought the ground back in May to comply with the FFP regs.

FFP thread

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/01/2019 at 21:17, Davkaus said:

I sat in the Lower North for the first time in years. What an absolute dump. I'm not sure what the lowlight was, from the grubby exterior, the Ryanair legroom, inadequate catering, or the only sink in the gent's being 20cm away and slightly lower than the nearest urinal, so you can't wash your hands without a cock in your peripheral vision... 

That thing being demolished can't come soon enough

wouldn't be so bad if it was in the "ladies"

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Possible idea to reduce carbon footprint for new stadium?

Quote

An Austrian football stadium has been transformed into a native central European forest.

Designed by Klaus Littmann, the installation is a statement against climate change and deforestation.

Hosting almost 300 trees, the stadium hopes to attract wildlife during the seven weeks the installation is open.

An aerial night shot of the stadium with the forest lit up by flood lightingThe forest lit up by night-time floodlightsAn aerial shot of the stadium with the forest within

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-49640345

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, sne said:

Possible idea to reduce carbon footprint for new stadium?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-49640345

This kind of bollocks boils my piss. 

How much co2 do you reckon was burned using the heavy machinery to lift those trees from wherever they were growing, by the massive low loaders used to transport them to the stadium, by heavy lifting machinery to install them at the stadium then the co2 created to dismantle it again. 

Fine, call it a work of art but I don't see how burning so much unnecessary co2 can possibly be a "statement against climate change" 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

This kind of bollocks boils my piss. 

How much co2 do you reckon was burned using the heavy machinery to lift those trees from wherever they were growing, by the massive low loaders used to transport them to the stadium, by heavy lifting machinery to install them at the stadium then the co2 created to dismantle it again. 

Fine, call it a work of art but I don't see how burning so much unnecessary co2 can possibly be a "statement against climate change" 

A bit like all these climate summits where they fly thousands of people all over the globe to talk about reducing the use of airplane travel.

Just Skype ffs

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...
Â