Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

49 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

We averaged 40k in I think 2008-2009 but attendances fell off a cliff when McLeish was appointed and didn't recover until Dean Smith was appointed.

I think we would fill 50k most weeks but if they keep ramping up prices the vicious cycle will kick in and will force some to quit going. That's why I don't  like the noises- cancelling a new stand, and announcing more corporate in an existing stadium that isn't big enough.

The fans which stop going will be replaced by those willing to pay, its simple supply and demand and that’s why we aren’t increasing capacity right now. The rarer the product the more that can be charged, its modern football economics. 

The has to raise prices in order to keep up with the established clubs who’ve had a massive head-start financially and who have also been more commercially savvy. I don’t necessarily agree with it but the waiting list shows that any season tickets not renewed due to costs will be brought by someone else. There is no loyalty towards fans anymore just increasing the bottom line. 

Edited by thabucks

Why do I think these 1000 to 1500 "premium  seats" will be existing seats... I mean they already upgraded some seats to premium this season. This would mean existing season ticket holders having to fork out "premium" price plus natural price increase for the same seats...

• Like 1

I'm pissed and had an amazing thought without much thought 🤦

Retractable seating on the corners of the north stand ( like train rails so they can be moved away from the ground when we do expand the north stand).

So build the tracks , add in the stands each side, that instantly adds extra seating.

Then later

Knock down north stand ( retract the sides so they are safe) rebuild north stand and then move the side seats so level with new north stand once built.

Less impact on gate receipts while redeveloping the north stand  due to the sides being put into place once demolition is done on north stand and rebuilding is taking place.

Clearly not thought it through but have polished off a bottle of e18hteen caramel rum tonight so if nothing else, that's an achievement  👌🏼 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, lainux said:

Why do I think these 1000 to 1500 "premium  seats" will be existing seats... I mean they already upgraded some seats to premium this season. This would mean existing season ticket holders having to fork out "premium" price plus natural price increase for the same seats...

Well where will new seats go, there isn't anywhere? Had to be upgrade of premium seats.

39 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Well where will new seats go, there isn't anywhere? Had to be upgrade of premium seats.

@lainux in addition ...

A lot of people have suggested that there is room for extra seats in the current footprint.  There used to be more anyway, so why couldn't they be reintroduced? Profile/rake can be modified, and concourse gaps can be filled. There is 100% the possibility to add 700+ seats without moving anyone out their current seat. There may well be the opportunity to add even more. 

I dont think it's a given that they will force anyone to move.  Call me naive, but I reckon the ~1300 Heck mentions is mostly new seats. It aligns with the total capacity they're claiming we'll have,  and aligns with his latest comments about keeping costs the same for everyone currently there, but increasing them for those that are willing to pay a surplus. The relatively small percentage that isn't moving people, will hopefully be those seats that usually go on general sale. It's easily done, and I really think Heck has learnt his lesson from the lower grounds debacle.

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 1

Now that we are definitely saying at VP we need to understand the long term plan. Adding 1,500 hospitality seats is meaningful to us at the moment (will be worth multi millions over a year) but in the grand scheme of things is a drop of water in the ocean.

We have to replace the North stand and the Doug Ellis asap as that’s where the huge match day commercial opportunity lies .

6 hours ago, brummybloke said:

Retractable seating on the corners of the north stand ( like train rails so they can be moved away from the ground when we do expand the north stand).

The North Stand doesn't really have corners where you could put seats - it'd just be a load of restricted views.

• Like 1

Thinking about where the hospitality seats might go, there was some talk of a dugout area for hospitality (Chelsea do it) which could I guess mean displacing some of those in the central Lower Trinity. Hopefully not, but I guess it's a possibility.

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Thinking about where the hospitality seats might go, there was some talk of a dugout area for hospitality (Chelsea do it) which could I guess mean displacing some of those in the central Lower Trinity. Hopefully not, but I guess it's a possibility.

The press section in the Trinity takes up a lot of room, I'm sure that could be utilised better by splitting up and relocated around various parts of the site 

12 minutes ago, limpid said:

With the way the media tend to repot on us, perhaps they could be moved to the car park?

Maybe we can plant them in the park instead.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

The North Stand doesn't really have corners where you could put seats - it'd just be a load of restricted views.

If the choice is between a restricted view seat or not being able to get a seat because it’s all sold out, I’d rather have a restricted view seat. 

Also if the choice is between a normal seat at £60, or a restricted view seat at say £30, there would be people who choose the £30 ticket.

20 hours ago, thabucks said:

The fans which stop going will be replaced by those willing to pay, its simple supply and demand and that’s why we aren’t increasing capacity right now. The rarer the product the more that can be charged, its modern football economics. 

The has to raise prices in order to keep up with the established clubs who’ve had a massive head-start financially and who have also been more commercially savvy. I don’t necessarily agree with it but the waiting list shows that any season tickets not renewed due to costs will be brought by someone else. There is no loyalty towards fans anymore just increasing the bottom line. 

Yeah I agree. Villa want to charge an amount that means demand outstrips supply by 1 person. That would be the perfect situation. If you have £20 tickets, 50k seater and a waiting list of 50k, that's bad. If you have £150 tickets but only 30k in your 50k stadium, also bad. What you want is £100 tickets and stadium full with minimum waiting list.

21 minutes ago, Czarnikjak said:

Apparently the current GA+ areas (terrace view, lower grounds etc), are never sold out this season, can someone who attends all games confirm this is indeed the case?

Well there are always tickets going on sale late in the areas reserved for these options.

28 minutes ago, Czarnikjak said:

Apparently the current GA+ areas (terrace view, lower grounds etc), are never sold out this season, can someone who attends all games confirm this is indeed the case?

I have a season ticket in the Terrace View. It's been pretty much rammed out (pre match) every game from what I can see.

Can't comment on the Lower Grounds though.

Heck said the focus would be on all fans and not just one stand when he gave that interview before Xmas. Thats why I don’t get why some moan so much about its delay. Retrofitting the current general admission concourses and hospitality areas will be a costly exercise and will need to make a return on investment before they think about the North Stand IMO. Also by keeping supply lower that increases the demand and the amount people are willing to pay. 

We will have the warehouse for the 25/26 season and I can then see them also them looking at the The Holte Hotel in terms of expansion and refurbishment to create another fan zone behind the Holte. A new club shop is a must so will be interesting how they approach that over the next few years. Then what will they do afterwards once the current infrastructure is upgraded across the board with The Witton which is the hardest part of the stadium to upgrade due the lack of space. Exciting times ahead. 

Edited by thabucks
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, thabucks said:

Heck said the focus would be on all fans and not just one stand when he gave that interview before Xmas. Thats why I don’t get why some moan so much about its delay. Retrofitting the current general admission concourses and hospitality areas will be a costly exercise and will need to make a return on investment before they think about the North Stand IMO. Also by keeping supply lower that increases the demand and the amount people are willing to pay. 

We will have the warehouse for the 25/26 season and I can then see them also them looking at the The Holte Hotel in terms of expansion and refurbishment to create another fan zone behind the Holte. A new club shop is a must so will be interesting how they approach that over the next few years. Then what will they do afterwards once the current infrastructure is upgraded across the board with The Witton which is the hardest part of the stadium to upgrade due the lack of space. Exciting times ahead. 

The immediate plans for this summer are for the warehouse (which will hopefully not be GA+), the extended club shop and the refurbishment and development of the hospitality areas - I think we'll have to wait a while for the concourses. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Kingman said:

The press section in the Trinity takes up a lot of room, I'm sure that could be utilised better by splitting up and relocated around various parts of the site 

I've a feeling that it's a UEFA requirement to have a certain amount of space and it's built around that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â