Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

Looking at the aerial photos, does anyone else feel that there is scope to knock down Villa Park and build a brand new modern stadium? It seems like a big enough site to me. 

I think the most likely development would be to knock down the North Stand and build a Holte sized stand there. 

I absolutely love Villa Park and it really is a special place. However, it doesn't seem to make sense to me that in the long term it would be better to build a new stadium than continue to made alterations to the current ground. Like any building, football grounds do not last forever. I see that being many years away yet, but I think it will happen at some point. 

31 minutes ago, PompeyVillan said:

Looking at the aerial photos, does anyone else feel that there is scope to knock down Villa Park and build a brand new modern stadium? It seems like a big enough site to me. 

We would need to purchase huge swathes of land and clear the houses like Liverpool did to be able to do that and I can’t see the point or the necessary returns per seat being there to justify the costs. It will be a new North Stand or a move to a new location and just can’t see the latter ever happening. 

1 minute ago, thabucks said:

We would need to purchase huge swathes of land and clear the houses like Liverpool did to be able to do that and I can’t see the point or the necessary returns per seat being there to justify the costs. It will be a new North Stand or a move to a new location and just can’t see the latter ever happening. 

Do you not think it would be possible to move the pitch further back towards the club shop at the North Stand to create enough space? 

Just musing, I should imagine if they're thinking of doing anything with the stadium they'll have and architect in to assess the site. 

As said we would need to knock down a couple of rows of houses to do that due to crowd circulation and right to light so no that isn’t a viable option for what would be a minimum return. If we were to start from scratch it would be a multi purpose area with the potential to earn money throughout the year not just match days. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

Where would we play while this is going on...

Alexander Stadium is being expanded to a 40,000 seater for the 2022 Commonwealth Games. If the Villa owners decide to demolish stands, or even build a new stadium I am sure Alexander Stadium would be a potential home for a season or two. 

• Like 1

I'm dead against knocking down and building modern stadium.

Villa Park is a special place, how the fudge trinity road wasn't listed I don't know but the classic old school design is absolutely unique in that we also have corporate facilities on a par with the modern stadiums. Something Doug takes a lot of credit for.

There isn't an old stadium like it. We don't need a new stadium, more than enough corporate boxes for money making.

Only thing that makes sense is knocking down north stand and building another holte sized beast.

That would bring it up to about 52000.

If any further development needed knock down the awful Doug ellis and build another trinity sized stand over the road again. Could easily get the existing stadium up to over 60,000. Obviously at a cost. But for me the Doug ellis was built on the cheap and looks dreadful

16 hours ago, PompeyVillan said:

I think the most likely development would be to knock down the North Stand and build a Holte sized stand there. 

I absolutely love Villa Park and it really is a special place. However, it doesn't seem to make sense to me that in the long term it would be better to build a new stadium than continue to made alterations to the current ground. Like any building, football grounds do not last forever. I see that being many years away yet, but I think it will happen at some point. 

I would just rebuild else where. There is no reason why we have stay in crime central. The location does us no favours.

Who would have thought that mirroring some windows and putting up a few claret fascias would make such a big difference. Okay, it's still just a polished turd, but it's 10 times better.

• Like 3

went to Amsterdam at the weekend, park and ride at Ajax's ground, 1 euro for all day but you have to use the metro station located next door, there's 12,500 parking places there (about 1500 underneath) ajax were away that day so no football, its located south of the city pretty much straight off the motorway 10 mins on the train, the stadium is surrounded by shops, restaurants, cinema and businesses, all of them open despite no football, thousands of people in and around the area with no football, club shop busy with no football

part of the problem with us replicating that is brum isn't crazy busy or difficult to drive around or park in the centre but its something so simple that brings thousands of people a week to their stadium despite it not even being open

that's the money maker, that's what I think xia was on about with his theme park nonsense, how many people will go to VP today? some villa fans to visit the club shop, maybe a tour, maybe a meeting or conference in the trinity? less than 100 people? there are currently 193 cars parked at Ajax's stadium for the day

50 minutes ago, hippo said:

I would just rebuild else where. There is no reason why we have stay in crime central. The location does us no favours.

What, you think potential new supporters are looking up crime statistics before they decide whether they want to become a Villa fan or not? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

What, you think potential new supporters are looking up crime statistics before they decide whether they want to become a Villa fan or not? 

No I don't think that.

• Like 1

The location's a bit of a mixed bag. Walking out/in past the church, the Holte pub, past Aston Hall...That's lovely. Then you get a street further away and it's a stroll through the slums, which doesn't give a great impression. 

If you're thinking of trying to turn the stadium in to a destination that attracts income on days other than match days, it being in the middle of a shithole isn't going to help. It's the kind of place I wouldn't want to walk through if I wasn't surrounded by thousands of fans.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

went to Amsterdam at the weekend, park and ride at Ajax's ground, 1 euro for all day but you have to use the metro station located next door, there's 12,500 parking places there (about 1500 underneath) ajax were away that day so no football, its located south of the city pretty much straight off the motorway 10 mins on the train, the stadium is surrounded by shops, restaurants, cinema and businesses, all of them open despite no football, thousands of people in and around the area with no football, club shop busy with no football

part of the problem with us replicating that is brum isn't crazy busy or difficult to drive around or park in the centre but its something so simple that brings thousands of people a week to their stadium despite it not even being open

that's the money maker, that's what I think xia was on about with his theme park nonsense, how many people will go to VP today? some villa fans to visit the club shop, maybe a tour, maybe a meeting or conference in the trinity? less than 100 people? there are currently 193 cars parked at Ajax's stadium for the day

Amsterdam gets about a billion tourists a year though. Birmingham gets 12.

Was digging around the internet and found this 2014 mock up:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/4e05a6c27f706e74c3edfd0fc64d8d90/Villa-Park-Expansion

The write-up states:

'Starting point was DizzyHarsh's Villa Park model. Demolished the North Stand and based the floor plan of the new stand on the current Trinity Road Stand. Both corners are in-filled also - should take the overall capacity to around the 50,000 mark as well as adding additional executive suites between the upper and lower tiers and in the corners'

The corners look...quite odd here. And you can see how things are hemmed in by Witton Lane. Having said that, it's nice to play around with visualisations like this.

• Thanks 1

Â