Sign in to follow this  
Phumfeinz

Villa Park redevelopment

If Spurs can redevelop White Heart Lane like they have, I'm sure we can do the same!

I believe that if the footy had been better under MON, we could have easily filled a 50k seater stadium.  Despite the fact we we finished 6th 3 seasons straight, our home record was pretty poor due to playing the same 11 players and the same counter attacking football week in week out!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, New_Hope said:

our home record was pretty poor due to playing the same 11 players and the same counter attacking football week in week out!

We should've definitely played more sitting-back-football and got Salifou and Habib Beye on the pitch more often.

MoN was a one-trick pony but I find that logic a bit weird!

1 hour ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

We should've definitely played more sitting-back-football and got Salifou and Habib Beye on the pitch more often.

MoN was a one-trick pony but I find that logic a bit weird!

There was a buzz and excitement about the takeover and his appointment.  Attendances rose greatly to around the 39-40k in his first season....by his last season they had dropped off to the mid 30k as our home record wasn't very good due to his management style and the squad he built for £££ and failed to use.  That first season, we could have filled a 50k VP easily.

15 minutes ago, New_Hope said:

There was a buzz and excitement about the takeover and his appointment.  Attendances rose greatly to around the 39-40k in his first season....by his last season they had dropped off to the mid 30k as our home record wasn't very good due to his management style and the squad he built for £££ and failed to use.  That first season, we could have filled a 50k VP easily.

Didn't Randy have planning permission in place to rebuild the North Stand round that time?  Sadly the demise of the team killed off any plans like that.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Didn't Randy have planning permission in place to rebuild the North Stand round that time?  Sadly the demise of the team killed off any plans like that.

Villa have been talking about a  redeveloped North Stand for at about 20 years since the Trinity Road was rebuilt somewhat controversially. 

Indeed I have the programme from 2000 gathering dust (versus Derby I think) in which the plan was for the new Trinity followed by the corners being filled in. Which never happened. 

If you are a stadium nerd then fill your boots. The North Stand became dated when top flight stadiums had to become all seater. This meant that Villa Park capacity lowered due to the new seated Holte End and the North Lower moving from standing to seats. Having a goalpost design makes adding corners difficult as an entire new cantilevered roof would be required.  It would be more cost effective therefore to flatten and start again sometime in the future considering how dated it is. Hopefully.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

Villa have been talking about a  redeveloped North Stand for at about 20 years since the Trinity Road was rebuilt somewhat controversially. 

Indeed I have the programme from 2000 gathering dust (versus Derby I think) in which the plan was for the new Trinity followed by the corners being filled in. Which never happened. 

If you are a stadium nerd then fill your boots. The North Stand became dated when top flight stadiums had to become all seater. This meant that Villa Park capacity lowered due to the new seated Holte End and the North Lower moving from standing to seats. Having a goalpost design makes adding corners difficult as an entire new cantilevered roof would be required.  It would be more cost effective therefore to flatten and start again sometime in the future considering how dated it is. Hopefully.

I think the other problem with extending the North Stand (as opposed to knocking it down) is that structurally the top deck is literally hanging from the goal post style pillars.  Taking off the roof effectively means the end of it anyway!

When re building The North Stand, it needs to be a single tier. We made the mistake of making the Holte End a double tier. Would that effect the corporate side of things though? Or is that a stupid question. 

Edited by Rugeley Villa

Tell you what, I watch football all over Europe year after year. And the amount of plasticcy or/and soulless stadiums out there is just sad. Villa Park is a god damn national treasure and any development should reflect it. 

Still annoys me I never got to see the old Trinity Road Stand. 

• Like 1

On 06/08/2019 at 19:28, New_Hope said:

And that right there is the exact reason we shouldn't be wasting our money building a new stadium.

Attendances rise and fall with the form of the team. There are around 30k fans that will be there week in week out, and that is what the club need to cater to with an extra 10k more to capture the match day sales.

You look at teams like Liverpool, Tottenham, Newcastle & Arsenal, they sell out almost every single week which is why their capacities eclipse ours. 

57 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Would that effect the corporate side of things though? Or is that a stupid question. 

Well, yeah. Where are the boxes going to go, on the roof?

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

Well, yeah. Where are the boxes going to go, on the roof?

That would be a first so why not.   

Seriously though, that does away with that idea then. 

2 hours ago, wilko154 said:

And that right there is the exact reason we shouldn't be wasting our money building a new stadium.

Attendances rise and fall with the form of the team. There are around 30k fans that will be there week in week out, and that is what the club need to cater to with an extra 10k more to capture the match day sales.

You look at teams like Liverpool, Tottenham, Newcastle & Arsenal, they sell out almost every single week which is why their capacities eclipse ours. 

I read somewhere, and I don't have the evidence to cite, but when a club builds a new, bigger stadium, attendances always increase in average. 

It's always being said, but Birmingham is massive and Villa don't have all that much competition, we could sell out 60,000 seats a week if we were successful, fashionable and our facilities were good. 

Don't get me wrong, I see no reason to knock VP down just yet. But I'm not overly sentimental about it, if we build a new stadium of the same calibre of Spurs (those that attend this weekend, let us know what it is like), I would happily accept the change. I wouldn't want any old mediocre stadium though, for us to leave Villa Park would need something special that would be an amazing football stadium and elevate the club commercially. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

When re building The North Stand, it needs to be a single tier. We made the mistake of making the Holte End a double tier. Would that effect the corporate side of things though? Or is that a stupid question. 

Not a stupid question. I couldn't be a single tier if corporate boxes are to be included.

If corporate boxes where done away with in the New North then it would essentially become something similar to "The Kop" at Anfield where it is a single tier wave.

For it to have any stand out to it then a good name would need to be sought.

The Holte End, The Kop, etc are iconic.

What could a single tier stand be known as?

The Ron Saunders End?    "The Roar"?

A Kop style would be great and have a museum, megastore and what not underneath, why not throw a hotel in there aswell. Wee have so much potential at our current pad.

I refuse to be drawn into any talk of moving away from Villa Park, now or ever really.

• Like 3

I have been a staunch supporter of keeping Villa Park as four stands and watching the game today I think we could achieve this by building a huge single tier replacement North Stand and wrapping  the upper tier of the Trinity Road stand around just like at spurs but not joining the NS. 

If we could replicate this and square of the other end of the upper tier of the Trinity and the Holte, that would take us to around 60k and keep the essence of VP.

Then long term tackle the Witton as and when. 

I’m sure Nassef & Wes would of been impressed with Spurs new stadium and hopefully inspire them when it comes around to redeveloping Villa Park. 

Edited by thabucks
  • Like 1

Just something to take on board. Everton has just sold out. How many tickets could we have sold for this particular fixture live on a Friday night? I reckon we would have shifted say another 2-2500 from now until next Friday . That would give you a crowd of around 44k. I honestly think once it hits general sale we are getting a false reading of the demand. The reason being is because the only seats that are usually avaliable are seats where the general sale mob don’t really want to sit, and that’s Doug Ellis and upper trinity. They are also our most expensive seats. With a bigger ground and more options to sit in different parts of the ground, I think the demand from general sale would be even higher than it is now. 

• Like 3

On 09/08/2019 at 01:46, AvfcRigo82 said:

Not a stupid question. I couldn't be a single tier if corporate boxes 

I refuse to be drawn into any talk of moving away from Villa Park, now or ever really.

I posted before that I wouldn't mind moving away.

As our first home game approaches, I want to admit I was wrong.

I'm looking forward to parking by the flats by Ruskin hall, as I always do, nipping to the shops with my kids, trying to convince the older one that drinks shouldn't be green, Deciding, domwe walk across the park or down Bevington Rd?

all little things, but things I'd miss. 

The ground needs to be improved, but improved where it is. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Just something to take on board. Everton has just sold out. How many tickets could we have sold for this particular fixture live on a Friday night? I reckon we would have shifted say another 2-2500 from now until next Friday . That would give you a crowd of around 44k. I honestly think once it hits general sale we are getting a false reading of the demand. The reason being is because the only seats that are usually avaliable are seats where the general sale mob don’t really want to sit, and that’s Doug Ellis and upper trinity. They are also our most expensive seats. With a bigger ground and more options to sit in different parts of the ground, I think the demand from general sale would be even higher than it is now. 

I think it's also the case that what hits general sale are single seats. People tend to want to go to games together. A home draw in the league cup later would be interesting.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this  

Â