Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

I think a promoted side always has a buzz about the place and gets increased numbers for a season or 2.

If we stay in the prem and finish midtable every year then I can see the crowds settling around 36k average.

Right now though I think because of the feel good factor we could probably get 50k most games and 55k for the big games. Become a champions league regular and we could probably pull in 60k on a regular basis.

I think Liverpool or Man Utd come to town and we could probably sell whatever the capacity is as its a local derby or sorts (by that I mean they seem to have more fans in Birmingham than Villa do)

23 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

If Villa were to look to increase Villa Park's capacity, what capacity do you think Villa could reasonably fill if in the prem?

ie, no point in a 100k capacity stadium, but what could we reasonably fill or mostly fill regularly?, 50k?, 55k?

I don't think a stadium redevelopment needs to go crazy with attendance figures, push it to 50k but more importantly better corporate facilities, the North has horrible little booths, replicate the trinity / holte corner, a 2nd large holte suite type function room and maybe most importantly something that brings people to the stadium and generates revenue more than 19 times a year (not a clue what - no theme park jokes...)

50k would do us ok. The only problem is if we were to become a mid table team, or even worse a struggling team fighting relegation/getting relegated. Then we would have to do something very special to be able to get it as full as possible. If we do alright for ourselves then 50k would be enough imo. Obviously if we were to go on and do great by challenging the top clubs then we’d probably need more than 50k, but that’s unlikely that will happen anytime soon imo. Get this season out of the way then look at things then. 

Villa’s best average crowd was about 47,000 just after WWII.  Post-North Stand but pre-Taylor report the capacity was 48,000.  To me, 50,000 seems about right.  Extra seats make less difference to revenue than sold out corporate facilities.

22 minutes ago, Stephen_Evans said:

Villa’s best average crowd was about 47,000 just after WWII.  Post-North Stand but pre-Taylor report the capacity was 48,000.  To me, 50,000 seems about right.  Extra seats make less difference to revenue than sold out corporate facilities.

That's why I think North Stand needs doing regardless.  They must be losing out on Corporate income because the corporate offering there is pretty dire. 

Plus a larger stand means larger rooms more useful for other functions. 

I once hired a room in The North Stand for a conference.  It was dire and we wouldn't have gone back again if they hadn't offered us the Trinity Stand suite for the same price. 

The whole stand is like walking into a Hotel which hasn't been decorated since the 70's. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Personally I think we are getting ahead of ourselves talking about stadium expansion. We need to consolidate our position on the premier league for a couple of years before we even consider expanding 

Doug is that you?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 21/06/2019 at 19:06, RadioTom said:

Ah, Villa Village!

When I was younger, I used to think Villa Village was an actual village with shops, pubs, a school, a little village green where the players would train, a church, an award-winning chippy, all dedicated to Villa. 

Imagine my disappointment. Especially when I found out there was no chippy. 

You were lied to as a child.*

*Appreciate this isn't in Villa Village but it's close enough 😁

No chance we will ever move from Villa Park. We are slightly limited on space but there is so much that could be done for a lot cheaper than buying land and then building a new stadium.

Spread over the next 10-15 years:

• Knock down the North Stand and corners.
  • Build a new North Stand with the exterior in the 'Leitch' mould, interior modernized. Link the corners in to the Trinity and the Doug Ellis to give 3/4 of the ground a bowl like shape on the interior.
  • Build the club shop, museum, fan park etc into the new North Stand.
  • Rename the North Stand. Back to the Witton End for me.
  • Potentially update the exterior of the Trinity in the 'Leitch' mould.
  • Knock down the Doug Ellis Stand.
  • Build a new Doug Ellis Stand. Either build it in the same mould of the Trinity over the road behind, or buy the land behind to bring it back. Exterior in the 'Leitch' mould, interior modernized.
  • Rename the Doug Ellis Stand.
  • Look at modernising the Holte End without taking away any of it's look and feel if at all possible.

5 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

No chance we will ever move from Villa Park. We are slightly limited on space but there is so much that could be done for a lot cheaper than buying land and then building a new stadium.

Spread over the next 10-15 years:

• Knock down the North Stand and corners.
  • Build a new North Stand with the exterior in the 'Leitch' mould, interior modernized. Link the corners in to the Trinity and the Doug Ellis to give 3/4 of the ground a bowl like shape on the interior.
  • Build the club shop, museum, fan park etc into the new North Stand.
  • Rename the North Stand. Back to the Witton End for me.
  • Potentially update the exterior of the Trinity in the 'Leitch' mould.
  • Knock down the Doug Ellis Stand.
  • Build a new Doug Ellis Stand. Either build it in the same mould of the Trinity over the road behind, or buy the land behind to bring it back. Exterior in the 'Leitch' mould, interior modernized.
  • Rename the Doug Ellis Stand.
  • Look at modernising the Holte End without taking away any of it's look and feel if at all possible.

what is Leitch mould?

2 hours ago, ender4 said:

what is Leitch mould?

When Archibald Leitch died 80 years ago few in football knew his name but his impact on those who watched the game was huge.

Between 1899 and his death on 25 April 1939, the Scottish architect built stands for Rangers, Chelsea, Fulham, Spurs, Liverpool, Everton, Manchester United, Arsenal, Aston Villa and many more.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-48028660

When Archibald Leitch died 80 years ago few in football knew his name but his impact on those who watched the game was huge.

Between 1899 and his death on 25 April 1939, the Scottish architect built stands for Rangers, Chelsea, Fulham, Spurs, Liverpool, Everton, Manchester United, Arsenal, Aston Villa and many more.

Edited by Mister_a
Adding detail
  • Like 1

Four separate stands no horseshoe for me . That is the essence of villa park if we lose that then I don't see the point in staying somewhere just for nostalgia if the better option would be to move . 

1 hour ago, sne said:

If we establish ourselves in the PL I think we'll see a new stadium withing 10 years.

Villa Park is in a wonderful location, surrounded by a huge road network and a few minutes walk from two railway stations. Leaving aside all other arguments I doubt we’d find a better connected venue. 

The stadium itself sits on quite a large plot and the very fact it’s in a poor area means that buying more land is very affordable and getting planning permission to develop both the ground and other related community projects shouldn’t be hard. 

The rest is just money and logistics. We have plenty of the former and therefore we can afford the very best to managed the latter. Also I don’t think this type of investment has any effect on ffp. In fact if we can convince FIFA that Messi and Ronaldo are a pair of bricklayers it’s game on!! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Villa Park is in a wonderful location, surrounded by a huge road network and a few minutes walk from two railway stations. Leaving aside all other arguments I doubt we’d find a better connected venue. 

The stadium itself sits on quite a large plot and the very fact it’s in a poor area means that buying more land is very affordable and getting planning permission to develop both the ground and other related community projects shouldn’t be hard. 

The rest is just money and logistics. We have plenty of the former and therefore we can afford the very best to managed the latter. Also I don’t think this type of investment has any effect on ffp. In fact if we can convince FIFA that Messi and Ronaldo are a pair of bricklayers it’s game on!! 

All the way Dave.

Moving from B6 is an absolute no go.. now, 10 years time or 100 years time.

We already lost our PL status, we don't want to lose the home - the founders of league football - that has so much history enriched within.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, NulliSecundus said:

You were lied to as a child.*

*Appreciate this isn't in Villa Village but it's close enough 😁

I used to go there after every match back in the day when the Number 11 was my way of getting to games.

Happy days

2 hours ago, thabucks said:

Four separate stands no horseshoe for me . That is the essence of villa park if we lose that then I don't see the point in staying somewhere just for nostalgia if the better option would be to move . 

How many seats could we get in the 2 built in corners..........its a yes from me

• Like 1

If we moved from Villa Park I would be astonished.  We have a deep connection with that particular (Unfortunately located I will give you) piece of ground / grass that we have all watched our heroes on for generations.  

Aston Hall,  the Church & the Holte end just to pick a few,  they don't go with you just so everyone knows.

However,  redevelopment will arrive one day.  One day they will knock all the houses down around the Villa.

Only problem with filling the corners in is.... It prevents wind blowing into the stadium and on the grass. I think that's been a contributing factor as to why we have one of the best pitch's in the UK. All these modern stadiums don't have the same air flow. 

Edit - also more daylight 

Edited by Lord Willard

6 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

Only problem with filling the corners in is.... It prevents wind blowing into the stadium and on the grass. I think that's been a contributing factor as to why we have one of the best pitch's in the UK. All these modern stadiums don't have the same air flow. 

Edit - also more daylight 

Adding more fans might offset the lack of wind :trollface:

• Haha 1

Â