Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

3 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

The original was fantastic and those round windows.

Rangers stadium is a fantastic example of the Archibald Leitch type construction and they have managed to retain all of their historical features.

I like the inside of the Trinity but the outside of it looks awful.

If we could make the outer like it used to be and that of the current Holte exterior then that would be a good thing.

We are an old historical club. We should celebrate that and be one of the only teams that have these features to compliment our founding history with an iconic yet unique stadium.

I do like the look of the Trinity as it is but I wouldn't be against that at all. I agree it would look stunning if we gave it a bit of a facelift to look like the Holte. Surely it would be plausible to line the outside of it with the same brickwork?

There's lots we can do to the current setup to improve and expand. I really don't think there is any need to move grounds entirely.

Primary focus should obviously be the North Stand. Then go from there. I just hope that if/when they decide to make changes that they properly consult with the fans and ask us what we want. It is our club after all.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lord Willard said:

I'm up for redeveloping all the stand minus The Holte. 

One thing I do think though... St James Park in the middle of Newcastle is brilliant. All on the piss in the city, soaking up the atmosphere, go to the game, stroll out of the stadium and youre in the city centre, back on the lash. It's brilliant. 

I would be against moving away from VP and saddened as thats where me and my dad used to go together but that aspect of being in the city centre is very appealing and you'd get more tourism and probably sell more tickets by people strolling past and joining us to watch the game. Creating more casual fans. The club grows. More money, more sponsorship. 

Probably easier to build a few more pubs round the stadium and work out more cheaper than building a new stadium.

1 hour ago, Okonokos said:

I do like the look of the Trinity as it is but I wouldn't be against that at all. I agree it would look stunning if we gave it a bit of a facelift to look like the Holte. Surely it would be plausible to line the outside of it with the same brickwork?

There's lots we can do to the current setup to improve and expand. I really don't think there is any need to move grounds entirely.

Primary focus should obviously be the North Stand. Then go from there. I just hope that if/when they decide to make changes that they properly consult with the fans and ask us what we want. It is our club after all.

We still own all of the land around Villa Park do we not.

Anything is possible..

Randy only touched the tip of the mountain what could be done in terms of 'Revamping' the stadium.

Okay, Ellis built the new Holte and New Trinity but undone it by trashing the Trinity heritage.

Off topic, but I also recall the General saying that not long after Randy had taken over.. they were uncovering allsorts of archive photos etc. That had been hidden/stashed away for years that should have been on display etc.

Again obviously celebrating the glorious years while Dougie pissed off next door!

Edited by AvfcRigo82

I would say a no to a new stadium. Would be happy to upgrade by all means! VP has too much heritage and proud history attached in my opinion, and is widely considered one of the best traditional 'proper' football grounds in the UK, something to be proud of.

17 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

The original was fantastic and those round windows.

Rangers stadium is a fantastic example of the Archibald Leitch type construction and they have managed to retain all of their historical features.

We are an old historical club. We should celebrate that and be one of the only teams that have these features to compliment our founding history with an iconic yet unique stadium.

Adding on to my post above.. it would be great walking to the stadium.. getting off the train and seeing the stadium and thinking your in the 1920's... until you get into the stadium and your back in the 2020's with all the technology and mod cons all the new top stadiums have.

Futuristic whilst remaining elegant, historical and classy at the same time.

Edited by AvfcRigo82
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

I am old, but I know a unique stadium when I see one, and Villa Park is "unique".

Villa Park is an iconic stadium which can be improved and enhanced considerably with an increased capacity while remaining a beacon to the rest of the football world.

Moving from Villa Park would destroy our world renowned heritage, and make us just another ordinary football club. 

Unique does not make it good and what does make it unique?

Two old out dated stands with dire facilities and dire concourses? A Trinity Road Stand that many on here do not like? The surrounding area being a dump? I guess thats unique?

Has nobody ever moved house to a better location and improved their standard of living? We have done it once before in 1897 when we moved from the Upper Grounds.

Our world renowned heritage come from the illustrious history not the bricks and mortar. Moving grounds would not take away that history and heritage and it would not make us just another ordinary football club. The history and heritage will always be there. Moving would just be yet another chapter in that long and illustrious history.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

If Villa fans from 1920s saw today's stadium, they would be appalled. 

Really?  The vast majority had no access to even a roof and probably has p**s trickling down their leg by the end of the game. Bar the Trinity stand lets not romance the past too much. 

I think we are being too hard on our home ground. It is still highly regarded and we have done very little to it in the last 20 years compared to the big boys. If we could improve it then it would move to being one of the top 10 ground in the country to probably one of the top 5.

Edited by The Fun Factory

24 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

I come from a city abroad

With the greatest of respect, that's probably why you don't get it. And I don't much like 'we sound like a bunch of old people'  being used as a put-down, as if that were automatically a bad thing. 

Just now, The Fun Factory said:

Really?  The vast majority had no access to even a roof and probably has p**s trickling down their leg by the end of the game. Bar the Trinity stand lets not romance the past too much. 

That's what I mean.

I'm sorry, but North Stand and Witton End are horrendous. Very, very poor.

Should we build new stands or move grounds, fans will see a massive improvement, just like the fans in the olden days would have done.

Yeah it will lose it's 'feel' - but it will become better.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

With the greatest of respect, that's probably why you don't get it. And I don't much like 'we sound like a bunch of old people'  being used as a put-down, as if that were automatically a bad thing. 

It isn't a bad thing - it's an over exaggeration to underline the point of 'everything was better in the old good times'.

As for me being from abroad, that is exactly why I feel I can comment on it - because I have lived through it. No Villa fan from Birmingham can say they know what it's like to move from their beloved ground.

I can say what it's like because I have seen it first hand - and although I wasn't pleased about it, it worked out for the best. 

7 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Hah! Oooooold!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

Genuine question to those of you who don't like the new Trinity. What is it that's so bad about it? I personally think it's a great stand.

Cheap and poorly finished.  Whole walls made of nothing but sheets of metal.  Half the "windows" at the level of the token brickwork are effectively boarded up with steel.

It has no class, no style and is the perfect monument to the man who made it happen.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sorry, I should say - Mr Purslow has been clear that there are no plans to develop the stadium at Villa Park in the immediate future - the planning documents above are clear evidence that development will take place and is quite possibly imminent. The ticket office/shop/dreadful office building will go as will the academy building I think - in it's stead we may see something that both replaces the existing ticket office/shop - but also includes a museum and potentially something along the lines of the box park at Wembley. Personally I'd love the opportunity to be able to watch away games live in a box park style facility at Villa Park.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Sorry, I should say - Mr Purslow has been clear that there are no plans to develop the stadium at Villa Park in the immediate future - the planning documents above are clear evidence that development will take place and is quite possibly imminent. The ticket office/shop/dreadful office building will go as will the academy building I think - in it's stead we may see something that both replaces the existing ticket office/shop - but also includes a museum and potentially something along the lines of the box park at Wembley. Personally I'd love the opportunity to be able to watch away games live in a box park style facility at Villa Park.

So would you say short term (1-2 yrs) nothing planned but medium to long term (5-10) hopefully yes at the actual stadium? You have to think there is a master plan somewhere.

Edited by The Fun Factory

I posted this in the history thread earlier, but it probably belongs in here:

So many smaller things Doug did to Villa Park annoyed me, from an aesthetic point of view:

- the cheap looking oddity housing a TV studio that occupies the space between the Holte End and the Witton Lane Stand

- the external metal staircase leading from the Trinity Road pavilion down to the Holte End

- the lower deck of the Witton Lane Stand blocking the corner of the Holte (built literally months apart!)

- the Corner Flag restaurant - the footprint of this building has all kinds of funny angles, not a single parallel building line to judge from Google Earth!

- a great big air conditioning unit in the players' car park

Best not get started on the Trinity Road Stand itself....

Doug did not give two hoots what anything looked like.  Even the old Holte was given a chocolate brown and red cladded exterior when they put on a £1/2m roof that lasted only 4 years before demolition.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

I agree that there is a case for a new stadium, but if it is to be on the same site, there is no way it could be built in one close season - which would leave us looking for a temporary ground share somewhere for at least one season. Not a prospect to be savoured. 

Ricoh Arena? Wouldn't even mean sharing with Coventry as they are playing at St Andrews 🤣

12 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Regardless, Mr Purslow has been clear that there are no plans to develop Villa Park in the immediate future.

But arent these minutes from a meeting a few weeks ago, before the season tickets went on sale?

These comments would have been prior to the knowledge that season tickets broke all records and had to be capped at 30k with a waiting list.

• Like 1

Â