Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

Should we look to change/upgrade the facade of stands around Villa Park, I really hope we look at more aesthetically pleasing materials i.e. more brickwork/stained glass. Like the Holte exterior.  I really dislike metals and plastics etc, as they are cold and cheap looking.  

Many years ago we visited some family up north and my dad suggested we have a look around the Ibrox stadium.  Now I'm not sure what it's like today, but at the time it seemed very imposing and I remember a lot of red brickwork on their main stand (I believe) and I thought it looked really cool.  However, I appreciate this is not to everyone's taste and can look dirty/old fashioned.  Perhaps it's an age thing, but I really like traditional materials to update buildings.  Below some images of how I remember Ibrox:

IMG_5303.JPG.dda0a183f99396007e76ed0b903898d8.JPG

IMG_5304.JPG.2986ca91c7467774474601efb9afc21b.JPG

Now I'm sure we could so much more with the exterior of the Trinity and Doug Ellis stands to mirror elements of the Holte appearance.    Possibly another mosaic etc?

The North stand just needs to go, full stop.  

Finally, if we didn't wish to fill a corner with just additional seating perhaps we could enclose the corners and have giant screens like the example below.  Ibrox again and perhaps a poor example of what I'm suggesting:

IMG_5305.JPG.b8add31e11817d368b0689e7cb11f125.JPG

IMG_5306.JPG.26ee9fcff497eda1c7c1584c2075d845.JPG

Whatever the club decide over the next few years, I hope we stay on our current site.  With Aston Hall across the way from us, there is potential to link the area and make the whole place a little more inviting.  Let's make Villa Park one of the most historic and beautiful grounds in the land.   

Edited by ferguson1
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Nah it really isn't. I watch football all around the world, and England today is one big safety zone compared to some Italian matches, or Polish, Dutch or Russian ones as an example. Even certain German ones makes you feel really uncomfortable with their neonazi ****. 

Outside VP you can even have a chat with opposing fans which is kinda neat. 

I think we’ve moved on from the 70s and 80s that’s for sure. The introduction of video evidence made a big difference. The fear of that knock on the door a few days/weeks later was a real deterrent for many. I know a lot of the fighting you see from the continent involves lads with their faces covered. It still goes on, but a lot is away from the ground and the immediate area. 

The stuff back in the 70s and 80s was like the Wild West though!!

9 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Nah it really isn't. I watch football all around the world, and England today is one big safety zone compared to some Italian matches, or Polish, Dutch or Russian ones as an example. Even certain German ones makes you feel really uncomfortable with their neonazi ****. 

Outside VP you can even have a chat with opposing fans which is kinda neat. 

Never been to the sty, then? :D 

1 hour ago, Michelsen said:

Who cares if Aston’s a bit rough? Yankee Stadium is in The Bronx for chrissake. Be proud of where we’re from.

Agreed, we're called Aston Villa. I'd hate to move out of B6. 

Regarding the current site we have 2 mainline railway stations in easy walking distance (many grounds have none) and it's right off the Motorway.  For connectivity it's superb really. 

I am certain there will eventually be a tram to Star City via Villa Park too. 

58 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Regarding the current site we have 2 mainline railway stations in easy walking distance (many grounds have none) and it's right off the Motorway.  For connectivity it's superb really. 

I am certain there will eventually be a tram to Star City via Villa Park too. 

When Prince William becomes King, there’ll be a direct line from Buckingham Palace. 

5 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'd like us to buy the land between the ground and the railway station, so that you can get off a train and walk down the steps off the platform into Villa Park via the impressive rear of a massive new Witton Lane stand.

I'd like the area from the back of the North stand to Witton Island redeveloped with underground parking; a new office, shop and ticket office building, a museum and properly structured landscaping right across the North Stand car park with a pre-match (outdoor) pub and German market feel.

I'd like the car park between the Holte Pub and the Holte End made level, with cars moved underneath and a fan garden area with another outdoor bar and food market on top. 

I'd like a ground that looks from the outside like some giant, dark satanic mill, like Tim Burton drew it, a Gaudi-esque masterpiece of Victorian brickwork, St Pancras station as a sporting edifice, the kind of place that has young children wondering what goes on inside, the kind of building that causes chaos on the M6 as people stare in awe, the kind of building that kids in Spain dream of visiting, that becomes the building that people associate with this city, our Eiffel Tower. From the outside, I want an ornate brick castle for a Victorian adventurer, on the inside I want a shiny explosion of light and chrome and colour and modernity. I want the spaceship from Close Encounters, crashed into the Albert Hall with a lush green pitch in the middle.

I think I may have covered off the "being ambitious enough" thing. I think about this way too often.

Write this to Purslow Edens & Sawiris please. This is the vision people at the top of the club should have.

Sublime.

Are we going to have a fan area outside the stadium anytime soon?

Anyone who's been to Etihad will know Man. City probably best in league for having area where you can have a drink and listen to pre match interviews. Think Everton also have one and they have much less space to deal with than around VP.

With regards stands. Holte is fine for me. North Stand when sold out isn't so can see that being finally rebuilt in 12-18 months if we stay up comfortably. So much space around the back so I'd imagine in new rebuilt would be club shop, musuem and underground car park.

The view from top of Trinity is excellent but a big problem imo is when it sells out as there is real lack of space in the design. Hate the way all the stairs leading up to top tier take up half the space (should've installed more lifts) so trying to get food/drink at half time becomes very cramped and congested.

Witton also like this but it's older stand and more cramped, views from both tiers very good unless you're right at the back.

• Like 1

Could the holte pub (if financially viable in comparison) be turned into a museum as the structure befits our history? Then behind a fan park moving the car park to the rear of the north stand . 

If Villa were to look to increase Villa Park's capacity, what capacity do you think Villa could reasonably fill if in the prem?

ie, no point in a 100k capacity stadium, but what could we reasonably fill or mostly fill regularly?, 50k?, 55k?

Â