Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

We could use The Alexander Stadium fairly easily I would think, it's permanent capacity is going to be £17,500 after the games but we could reinstate the temporary seating to move it to the £40,000 it will be for the games.   However I don't think there is a need for a wholesale rebuild.   The North Stand is the only real downer and that alone could be easily re-built to give us the capacity we need.  The rest just needs a spruce up and hopefully exterior remodeling of the Trinity.

If we genuinely do go big with the new owners we could rebuild the Witton Lane stand more in scale with the Trinity.   That's going to take us to 60,000 odd which will be plenty big enough 

Only thing to rebuild The Witton would be the need to purchase a street of terraced houses and move the road over, or build the stand over it into the current grassy walkway like they did with Trinity Road.

The owners seemingly have no intention of moving from Villa Park, otherwise they wouldn't be talking about knocking buildings down with the purpose of regenerating the area with superstore, museums, and hotels, in the 'near future'.

Just now, Junxs said:

But arent these minutes from a meeting a few weeks ago, before the season tickets went on sale?

These comments would have been prior to the knowledge that season tickets broke all records and had to be capped at 30k with a waiting list.

Yeah I was thinking that too.  Also they MUST be looking at something with what's gone on with the planning app.  

The planning app isn't linked to stadium redevelopment. It's about the surrounds to the stadium. 

The club simply aren't thinking about this at the moment - it's not part of the discussion they're having about the immediate future of the football club.

• Like 1

I might be getting the wrong end of the stick here but that sounds worryingly piecemeal.  That is what has got VP to this stage already, compared to the likes of Old Trafford. The whole back area of the ground needs to be looked holistically. Its no point building a new club shop on the footprint of the existing one, only for 5 -10 years later to build  a new superstore in the back of a new north stand. Hope I am wildly wrong on this.

Edited by The Fun Factory

I’m a chartered planner if anyone wants to know more about the processes involved. 

From a quick glance they’ve submitted a prior notification for demolition. It’s not the same as a planning permission but it’s basically a way of informing the council you intend to demolish something. You could include the demo as part of a planning permission if you intend to demolish then rebuild, but if you want to demolish soon then the prior notification is the quickest way as it’s just 28days. There’s also demolition notices which need to be done through the building reg process, but that’s separate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, imavillan said:

Unique does not make it good and what does make it unique?

Two old out dated stands with dire facilities and dire concourses? A Trinity Road Stand that many on here do not like? The surrounding area being a dump? I guess thats unique?

Has nobody ever moved house to a better location and improved their standard of living? We have done it once before in 1897 when we moved from the Upper Grounds.

Our world renowned heritage come from the illustrious history not the bricks and mortar. Moving grounds would not take away that history and heritage and it would not make us just another ordinary football club. The history and heritage will always be there. Moving would just be yet another chapter in that long and illustrious history.

Wow, you really don't think much of Villa Park .... Let's move then, and whatever industrial site we end up on we might as well rename our team after! For example, "Washwood Heath Villa" (the nearest wasteland site to VP) and rename our new soulless home "Washwood Heath Bowl"., because we wont be located in Aston any more, and the green and pleasant surroundings of Aston Hall Park will no longer enhance our visual appeal.

Check out the available land around VP before slating our present location.

2 hours ago, Okonokos said:

Genuine question to those of you who don't like the new Trinity. What is it that's so bad about it? I personally think it's a great stand.

Top tier concourse is awful, and as others have previously said the old Trinity was an iconic stand. As a kid in the 70’s we had season tickets in the Trinity and seeing it replaced with the new stand was horrible. I’m all for progress but the new stand could’ve incorporated some of the design features of the old stand but i suspect cost was one of the key decision criteria. 

Rangers have redeveloped 3 of their stands and left the main stand to preserve the heritage. It’s a pity HDE didn’t do the same.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

Where would you suggest we relocate to? Have a look at the Birmingham area on Google Earth for 'Brown Belt land' within a reasonable distance of B6.

Do a Spurs and knock down the old stadium and build a new one on the same site. We could ground share with SHA whilst it's being built 😉

It's the pitch where the history was played on, the stands where people watched that history being played.

I would say demolish the stands and build VP up again Into an oval stadium. The corners ( which is not there ) would add seats to VP and as it stands building the stands with today's building methods would no doubt add more seats as well.

call me easy to please but what exactly about the concourses to folks dislike? aside from the north stand which most acknowledge needs demolishing and replacing i dont think they're too bad at all. granted i've not sat in the home end of many of the top premiership teams but i cant imagine they're THAT much better...spurs excluded of course...would beer that fills from the bottom of the glass cheer everyone up then?

I’m easily pleased - an O2 phone signal and a queueing system that means you don’t have to jeopardise missing 10 minutes of the match to buy an overpriced cup of boiling hot coffee would suffice.

4 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

call me easy to please but what exactly about the concourses to folks dislike? aside from the north stand which most acknowledge needs demolishing and replacing i dont think they're too bad at all. granted i've not sat in the home end of many of the top premiership teams but i cant imagine they're THAT much better...spurs excluded of course...would beer that fills from the bottom of the glass cheer everyone up then?

For me it's general lack of space and facilities. If you sit in the North or the Doug it's noticable smaller and more crowded. They food and drink stalls are fewer and smaller which means it takes longer to get served. In the Doug I also find a lack of leg room in the stand itself, and I'm only 5'9'' so god knows how guys who are 6'+ get on.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Would people be against an Emirates/Wembley/Etihad 3 quarters of the stadium with Holte End left as it is?

Yes. Very much against it. Looks hideous.

37 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Would people be against an Emirates/Wembley/Etihad 3 quarters of the stadium with Holte End left as it is?

Bearing in mind the dimensions of the site, for me the blueprint continues to be the original Archibald Leitch layout which has survived the last 100 years or so even though stands have been replaced.  Four separate (but complementary) stands connected at the lower tier level with massive end stands.  There is space for a huge 15-16,000 seater stand at the North Stand end.

Â