Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

So we are apparently going for a demolition of the ticket office area and rebuild with a museum & hotel? I would have thought maybe rebuilding the Doug Ellis stand would have been done prior to any hotel build due to the disruption it would cause but hey ho

3 minutes ago, danceoftheshamen said:

So we are apparently going for a demolition of the ticket office area and rebuild with a museum & hotel? I would have thought maybe rebuilding the Doug Ellis stand would have been done prior to any hotel build due to the disruption it would cause but hey ho

The problem with demolishing the rebuilding a stand is that it has to be done by August for the start of the new season, but the other bits could take months and not impact on games massively.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hippo said:

Hmmm - yet another attempt at the hotel in aston - good luck with that.

It does seem like a laughable endeavour. When I visit VP I want to get in and out of the surrounding area as quickly as possible. Who'd want to stay in a hotel near there?! Even for fans who travel a very long way and stay overnight, you'd go to the city centre surely? There's **** all else in Witton. 

Just now, Davkaus said:

It does seem like a laughable endeavour. When I visit VP I want to get in and out of the surrounding area as quickly as possible. Who'd want to stay in a hotel near there?! Even for fans who travel a very long way and stay overnight, you'd go to the city centre surely? There's **** all else in Witton. 

i would imagine there is reasonable through traffic of fairly wealthy people, who might fly over or similar to watch a match, why not take their money for the high class suite, as well as let them stay in a lovely villa ran hotel?, spending their money all the time?

Also, there are numerous normal people who might want to spend a night in a villa hotel so they dont have to drive home after a late match or such?

sure there are many more ways to make money off it, such as randoms staying in the hotel when they stay over in brum?, hotels can make a buck, especially well run ones that might see some through traffic for the odd very wealthy person reasonably regularly.

25 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

It's probably so they can bid for more/bigger conferences and events.  If people can move straight from the venue to accommodation it's more attractive for them and you are earning more per head. 

You will be suprised how busy Villa Park is in the day and non match evenings. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, danceoftheshamen said:

Im just sceptical that this hits the net - the same day the transfer of ownership of VP does.  My betting is we dont see any re development at the rear of the north stand for a few years yet.

11 minutes ago, hippo said:

Im just sceptical that this hits the net - the same day the transfer of ownership of VP does.  My betting is we dont see any re development at the rear of the north stand for a few years yet.

What have these guys done since arriving, to indicate that they need to use a planning permission application to hide another story that could be, but in my view isn’t, a bad new story? Spending some money, probably a relatively very small amount of money, on some building works that doesn’t effect ffp is just a normal part of improvement works for the stadium and it’s surrounds. 

• Like 1

Ah the hotel idea again. A bold move. How many clubs have a hotel on site? I can only think of Norwich. Presumably each room comes with a trouser press. 

Worcester cricket at New Road has  a hotel but that is in the city centre and, well, in  a nice area.  

I am hoping this is all part of a long term plan to redevelop Villa Park including a new North Stand. I just don't want to see us in 5 years time with just a bigger car park and some portakabins s as a club shop.

The stadium move does slightly concern me but on balance I think its just a ploy to get around the fair play rules. I hope. 

13 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

How many clubs have a hotel on site? 

Quite a few. Chelsea, Bolton, Nodge (as you say), Donkey Lashers, Lancashire cricket club, Hampshire, Worcestershire and various foreign clubs/venues. It’s not that uncommon. I dunno whether they all benefit the grounds, or some serve as a drag on resources. You’re right about location being a key factor I think. I’m not sure Aston is currently quite boutique hotel territory.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I love Aston. 

I mean sure, like every poor area it has it's issues with crime, but I never ever feel unsafe walking around there on a match day. Terraced housing, narrow pavements, the odd sofa on the street whilst Black Sabbath blasts out through an open window. Kids playing football over the rec, jumpers for goalposts. It's got a proper working class community vibe, I wouldn't want to move from there for all the world.   

Spot on you romantic old bugger 😀

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I love Aston. 

I mean sure, like every poor area it has it's issues with crime, but I never ever feel unsafe walking around there on a match day. Terraced housing, narrow pavements, the odd sofa on the street whilst Black Sabbath blasts out through an open window. Kids playing football over the rec, jumpers for goalposts. It's got a proper working class community vibe, I wouldn't want to move from there for all the world.   

Walking from Aston Station is awful though - the worst kinds of blocks of flats and big industrial units. Then you go under the motorway bridge and bang! It looks amazing.

• 3 weeks later...
On 30/06/2019 at 13:00, Lichfield Dean said:

Walking from Aston Station is awful though - the worst kinds of blocks of flats and big industrial units. Then you go under the motorway bridge and bang! It looks amazing.

I dunno, I do it all the time. I don't have an issue with it. It's an industrial, working class community. Not sure why that needs changing?

• Like 4

Â