Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

Depends on his ideas a sports city type plan like Man City is needed in Birmingham.  Loads of state of the art arenas for different sports/concerts would be possible.   That would serve the whole of the midlands and is easily accessible from the motorway network.

1 hour ago, One For The Road said:

I'm not missing the point. You can't compare the London Docklands area to Aston. Docklands is waterfront property in one of the world's leading cities. Inner city Birmingham is never going to be a place people want to spend time and no matter how much he pumps in, that will not change.

When you say "never"; what about in 70 years when central London is underwater?

• Like 3

We need to know what the scope of Tony's plan for Villa Park is before making suggestions. There is little point in talking about a new stadium based at the centre of a new sports/retail/residential complex with direct transport links to the city centre, if Tony sets a budget that will only stretch to jet washing the dirty concrete on the back on the North Stand. Similarly, there's little point in restricting our thoughts to fast beer pouring devices if Tony's got large investment and development plans. Come on Tony, give us a clue! :detect:

Edited by brommy

11 hours ago, One For The Road said:

I'm not missing the point. You can't compare the London Docklands area to Aston. Docklands is waterfront property in one of the world's leading cities. Inner city Birmingham is never going to be a place people want to spend time and no matter how much he pumps in, that will not change.

Apologies. Your not missing the point at all,  your just wrong. 

If he pumped £2bn of Chinese investment in,  Aston would be a place where people want to live and spend time.

Look at what is going on in Digbeth. Look at Eastside Locks which is only a hop skip and a jump from Aston as it is.  Areas can be reinvented. 

Tony was involved in building several entire cities bigger than Birmingham and moving half a billion people from a rural to urban locations.  He is a town planner and developer by profession Aston would be a ripple in a small pond compared to what he's done. 

You can't think of Aston in terms of what it is now. 

Of course all this depends on if Tony is kosher and the rumors / status of him are correct. If not we will get some new cladding on the side of The North Stand and a new hot dog stand outside. 

Edited by sidcow

• 1 month later...
On 16/11/2016 at 20:10, sidcow said:

Your totally missing the point. 

Tony said from the outset that he wants to delevop not just Villa Park but the whole area. As I have mentioned earlier on this thread London Docklands was considered a hell hole 20 years ago where no one in their right minds would go at night. Now it's one of the most valuable pieces of real estate in the world. 

That's what regeneration and development is all about.  OK he's not going to create a new Canary Wharf in Aston but how about Brindley Place (also a desolate wasteland 20 years ago) or Dudley Waterfront. 

Put the residents of Aston in Docklands and it will soon be a shit hole.

• Like 2

On 17/11/2016 at 19:07, sidcow said:

Apologies. Your not missing the point at all,  your just wrong. 

If he pumped £2bn of Chinese investment in,  Aston would be a place where people want to live and spend time.

Look at what is going on in Digbeth. Look at Eastside Locks which is only a hop skip and a jump from Aston as it is.  Areas can be reinvented. 

Tony was involved in building several entire cities bigger than Birmingham and moving half a billion people from a rural to urban locations.  He is a town planner and developer by profession Aston would be a ripple in a small pond compared to what he's done. 

You can't think of Aston in terms of what it is now. 

Of course all this depends on if Tony is kosher and the rumors / status of him are correct. If not we will get some new cladding on the side of The North Stand and a new hot dog stand outside. 

Digbeth and Eastside have a fair whack of council cash pumped into them over the last 15 - 20 years. IMO they are still not desireable areas. I really don't see where Tony would get the massive amounts of cash to redevelop the whole of Aston from. It would take years - you can't rock up to the planning department and say "I want to demolish Aston as it stands and this is what I want to build there"

I think the very, very most your looking at is an extended North Stand - with maybe a shopping mall\retail park style development. I would caution against getting hopeful for major city projects in Aston..or anywhere.

1 hour ago, Stephen_Evans said:

Tell us more!  Do you know why they are doing it?  Are they looking to increase capacity by building downwards, like at the Nou Camp many years ago?

No they're looking to improve the electrical infrastructure and it'll increase our advertising revenue 

48 minutes ago, hippo said:

Digbeth and Eastside have a fair whack of council cash pumped into them over the last 15 - 20 years. IMO they are still not desireable areas. I really don't see where Tony would get the massive amounts of cash to redevelop the whole of Aston from. It would take years - you can't rock up to the planning department and say "I want to demolish Aston as it stands and this is what I want to build there"

Why would Xia need cash? That's not how these developments work. IF it is his plan to develop a new docklands, he's just got to sell his ideas to the investors HS2 will be bringing into the city. Docklands wasn't paid for by one person and neither would this be. Cheap land adjacent to the city centre with short commute times to London will sell themselves - he'll be hoping that he can build out a wedge / corridor from Selfridges to VIlla Park / Aston Hall. Trams to VP 100 years after the last ones ran perhaps.

But all of this is a big "if".

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

No they're looking to improve the electrical infrastructure and it'll increase our advertising revenue 

Plus, it will improve the view and it will be cool as ****!

This kind of forward thinking is all a bit too much for me. I need a lie down. 

1 hour ago, Stephen_Evans said:

Tell us more!  Do you know why they are doing it?  Are they looking to increase capacity by building downwards, like at the Nou Camp many years ago?

The Camp Nou wasn't expanded by building downwards, it was expanded by adding a third tier and then they lowered the pitch.

As for Villa, why would they lower the pitch? I'm not sure I get the benefit.

6 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

The Camp Nou wasn't expanded by building downwards, it was expanded by adding a third tier and then they lowered the pitch.

As for Villa, why would they lower the pitch? I'm not sure I get the benefit.

Barcelona last 6 at home = W3, D3

Aston Villa last 6 at home = W4, D2

Clearly we're better than Barcelona, so why shouldn't we lower the pitch?!

• Like 4

If there's one thing Tony knows a lot.about it's urban redevelopment. I'd trust him to know more than me or anyone else here about what to do with Villa Park and the surrounding areas.

• Like 4

Â