Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

Think there is a big risk in building a new stadium with the intention to make it look "old" that it will turn out a bit "plastic" and faux.

If done right I'm sure it can look great, but all things considered I rather we built a proper "new" stadium as no new stadium would have the old charm or soul of VP either way.

• Like 2

On 11/9/2016 at 13:32, dnmacf said:

The redevelopment of Stamford Bridge (http://www.dezeen.com/2015/12/02/herzog-de-meuron-submits-plans-chelsea-football-stadium-redesign-london/) is leading the way for me in terms of current football stadia. It's respectful of the architecture within the surrounding area. It's grand and iconic yet simplistic and attractive. Overall, reflects the character of the area very well. 

Looks like some kind of designer toilet seat.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, sne said:

Think there is a big risk in building a new stadium with the intention to make it look "old" that it will turn out a bit "plastic" and faux.

If done right I'm sure it can look great, but all things considered I rather we built a proper "new" stadium as no new stadium would have the old charm or soul of VP either way.

Reclaimed bricks?

2 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Reclaimed bricks?

The problem with reclaimed bricks, is that they aren't a genuine part of the original build, so the same as other design materials which attempt to replicate traditional finishes is that by virtue of the fact that they aren't actually old it can end up creating a kind of pastiche of the original. If large scale redevelopment was to happen, I personally would prefer to see contemporary materials blended with the existing traditional elements of VP.

I'm an Urban Planner so spend a lot of time talking about bricks, tiles, materials and architecture and design in general :)

Edited by alreadyexists
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, alreadyexists said:

The problem with reclaimed bricks, is that they aren't a genuine part of the original build, so the same as other design materials which attempt to replicate traditional finishes is that by virtue of the fact that they aren't actually old it can end up creating a kind of pastiche of the original. If large scale redevelopment was to happen, I personally would prefer to see contemporary materials blended with the existing traditional elements of VP.

I'm an Urban Planner so spend a lot of time talking about bricks, tiles, materials and architecture and design in general :)

I can talk about tiles all day long, I'm a roofer ;) you plan it, mick the brick will build it, and I'll roof it.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I can talk about tiles all day long, I'm a roofer ;) you plan it, mick the brick will build it, and I'll roof it.

Ah brilliant :) I do love good materials chat. What about those forticrete gemini's... that's a good modern tile which mimics older clay tiles. In general I like a mock bonded, thin profile tile, preferably with a camber to it. I hate Marley Moderns.

• Like 1

On 11/8/2016 at 21:07, OutByEaster? said:

In terms of what's out there and blends the modern and traditional brick, the Lucas Oil Stadium is fantastic. That Mercedes one is completely soulless - it's a shopping mall with 60,000 seats. Villa Park is a brick building, we're a club with a Victorian history, it's a special one - we can't jettison that, it would be a dreadful mistake. Architecturally I think we need to take our cues from the local area, from our history and from our values - all of those say brick to me.

Absolutely. 

Though I wouldn't be against a modern, futuristic North Stand -providing the Trinity was given a more traditional finish. 

Throughout my time supporting the club, each of our four stands have often had a distinct, separate identity. So there is a historical argument as well to avoid making them all similar/ the same. 

Another option to explore re increasing capacity is to actually build down-rather than up.  FC Porto did this at their old ground, building below the original lower tier and having an intimidating 'bowl' that bit closer to the pitch. The effect when you land into a stadium like that -from the street, but essentially entering the second tier- is quite impressive. Making the ground tighter might have the additional boost of improving the atmosphere as well. 

Enclose the corners as Rangers have managed to do (even with four separate stands)to improve the acoustics further and it's job done. 

Get more retail outlets under the stands and make the area more hospitable. The Trinity has a great bar area and facilities, the rest of the stands should have similar interiors. Why it has to be a cold concrete environment is beyond me. 30,000 - 40,000 potential customers should have more options to spend, before, during and after the game. .  

3 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

Ah brilliant :) I do love good materials chat. What about those forticrete gemini's... that's a good modern tile which mimics older clay tiles. In general I like a mock bonded, thin profile tile, preferably with a camber to it. I hate Marley Moderns.

The quality of geminis have gone down hill. I do like using them though. Marley moderns are utter shite. Really weak tiles and you only have to look at them and they break. Thin edge tiles with a mock bond are Russell Lothians. I prefer grampians the best. The last two weeks I've been slating on the Chester road. Some of the houses on the site are worth 1 million. 

• Like 1

As a non brick expert :), wouldn't brick be very time consuming and therefore expensive when building something as massive as a new stadium?

Compared to more "modern" materials and ready made segments that is...

From what I understand big glass walls is also really expensive.

Might as well ask the people who know stuff about these kind of things.

4 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

The quality of geminis have gone down hill. I do like using them though. Marley moderns are utter shite. Really weak tiles and you only have to look at them and they break. Thin edge tiles with a mock bond are Russell Lothians. I prefer grampians the best. The last two weeks I've been slating on the Chester road. Some of the houses on the site are worth 1 million. 

are those the houses being built behind W.M. Wheat & sons in Streetly?

Â