Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

The Camp Nou wasn't expanded by building downwards, it was expanded by adding a third tier and then they lowered the pitch.

As for Villa, why would they lower the pitch? I'm not sure I get the benefit.

It's to do with the infrastructure to the advertising boards spend a bit to save a lot, they're putting in some stuff to get a state of the art pitch bulb system (instead of the white lighting rigs on wheels) and it'll mean they can get more advertising in, it's all stuff I'd say 99.9% of us here would never think of but someone at VP has

from the way it was explained to me it's not because of seating or because of the view or anything it's all to improve the electrical side of the stadium, iirc they did the lights last year

Edited by villa4europe

I guess this should go here.

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/ld201617/ldselect/ldhs2/83/83.pdf

The bit you want is right at the bottom.

On 26 October and 30 November, we heard a petition presented by three group companies which own and run Aston Villa Football Club. The petitioners have a large training ground at Bodymore Heath, near Tamworth, a small part of which will be taken for the high-speed railway. 

I'm not sure what "three group companies" means.

I did like this line:

The facilities at Bodymore Heath meet, and indeed surpass, the requisite standard for the top Premier League rating. 

It's interesting that our claim to some extent rests on being able to shout at players properly.

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

I guess this should go here.

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/ld201617/ldselect/ldhs2/83/83.pdf

The bit you want is right at the bottom.

I'm not sure what "three group companies" means.

I did like this line:

It's interesting that our claim to some extent rests on being able to shout at players properly.

Certainly sounds like we put forward a pretty rubbish argument (no offence, Mr Stephenson). 

32 minutes ago, NottingVilla said:

It's just to make the advertising boards clearer. Nothing to get excited about unless you have a fetish for electronic advertising. 

in terms of the punters experience then yeah that'll be about it, in terms of behind the scenes running and maintaining VP its more than that

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

It's to do with the infrastructure to the advertising boards spend a bit to save a lot, they're putting in some stuff to get a state of the art pitch bulb system (instead of the white lighting rigs on wheels) and it'll mean they can get more advertising in, it's all stuff I'd say 99.9% of us here would never think of but someone at VP has

from the way it was explained to me it's not because of seating or because of the view or anything it's all to improve the electrical side of the stadium, iirc they did the lights last year

Thanks. It sounds worthwhile and prudent rather than exciting then but I'm all for the club trying to maximise commercial revenue, it was always one of the things I was most critical of during the Lerner era.

• Like 1

No it's a bit more, it's sounds like some points in the pitch so they can set up the lights locally rather than run hundreds of metres of cables and the efficiency of those rigs dropping, they're then also I think doing alternative power supplies to the advertising to try and make them more cost efficient 

It sounds like they identified an inefficiency in something that was resulting in us spending money and decided to change it 

• Like 1

I remember hearing about the power problems we have for our catering units and the difficulty in what wasn't a joined up approach to the four buildings that make up Villa Park in terms of power and water and so on - I guess there's a benefit to fixing the kind of infrastructure problems we wouldn't normally know or care about. "Lowered" would be the key word here - if it's six centimetres to allow for some cabling, then I'm guessing we won't even notice.

9 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Thanks. It sounds worthwhile and prudent rather than exciting then but I'm all for the club trying to maximise commercial revenue, it was always one of the things I was most critical of during the Lerner era.

So it's just me that finds infrastructure exciting then? :huh:

18 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

So it's just me that finds infrastructure exciting then? :huh:

Probably.

In and of itself it's not an exciting development or not least to most.

Where I think it is pleasing is that it demonstrates two things. That Xia isn't here for the short term, i.e. through money at it get promoted and sell for a profit or reap the rewards of the TV deal. 

Secondly, he or his people are quite clearly looking at every single aspect of the club and systematically pulling it apart to put it right and you'd imagine put us ahead of many.

Now we are all primarily interested i. What happens on the pitch but these days what happens off it is as if not more important in many ways.

I don't want to dwell on the past but the way the club has been run by the last two owners was at times moronic.

So it's good to see this sort of focus. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, limpid said:

Why would Xia need cash? That's not how these developments work. IF it is his plan to develop a new docklands, he's just got to sell his ideas to the investors HS2 will be bringing into the city. Docklands wasn't paid for by one person and neither would this be. Cheap land adjacent to the city centre with short commute times to London will sell themselves - he'll be hoping that he can build out a wedge / corridor from Selfridges to VIlla Park / Aston Hall. Trams to VP 100 years after the last ones ran perhaps.

But all of this is a big "if".

I used to work for a council dept that encouraged such investors to develop in Birmingham. If he can succeed in attracting such investors in under 12 months I will take my hat off to him. 

18 minutes ago, hippo said:

I used to work for a council dept that encouraged such investors to develop in Birmingham. If he can succeed in attracting such investors in under 12 months I will take my hat off to him. 

I might have missed something, but where did the 12 months time frame come from? Like I said, IF this happens, it'll be related to HS2.

Just now, limpid said:

I might have missed something, but where did the 12 months time frame come from? Like I said, IF this happens, it'll be related to HS2.

Well assuming nothing happens before the season ends - that would roughly link in with twelve months since Xia arrives.

Personally I think its a non starter.

• Like 1

Â