Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

We wouldn't win the bid if the city tried that, Liverpool will almost certainly offer a new stadium with Everton getting the benefit, the sports quarter with it then turning in to offices etc sounds to me like either a smaller venue and or maybe the athletes village or broadcasting centre which would then be converted to office and retail space after 

another thing with VP is what sports brum offers as part of the bid, rumours that they want cricket, they will probably also want rugby 7s, in theory there's plenty of stuff like archery that could be held there and someone will definitely want BMH

there is however potentially a huge spanner in the works which could be a bigger threat than Liverpool (who realistically imo is the only challenge to brum) Durban are about to be kicked off 2022, that means it could all be rejigged

Blues would get a new ground or they would add temporary seats to Perry Barr. VP could be used for the sevens or even possibly the opening or closing ceremony lol. Can't really see Birmingham getting the bid anyway after London Olympics  and Glasgow  Commonwealth Games in a short space of time. 

9 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Blues would get a new ground or they would add temporary seats to Perry Barr. VP could be used for the sevens or even possibly the opening or closing ceremony lol. Can't really see Birmingham getting the bid anyway after London Olympics  and Glasgow  Commonwealth Games in a short space of time. 

Not many other countries actually want to host the Commonwealth Games (why do they still bother with it?) so Birmingham may get it by default over the next twenty years or so.

Glasgow one Parkhead was used for the opening ceremony while Hampden Park did the closing ceremony.

VP would certainly be involved if the bid was won...it's already a world class sporting arena you don't have to build from scratch and it's only a mile from Perry Bear so with the UCE closing there's scope to build a sports Village along that route I'd suspect and connect the two up.

On 1/24/2017 at 20:20, Harry said:

Unless our on the pitch performances dramatically improve and we are back in the PL I can't see us needing a 61k stadium any time soon...sadly.

I agree, but that's not really how it works.

If the club are planning to redevelop parts of Villa park anyway, i.e. not for capacity reasons, then they may as well increase the capacity while they're at it.

It would be way more expensive to redevelop for aesthetics etc, but keep the capacity exactly the same, and then to redevelop AGAIN 5 or 10 years from now because they need to add more seats

15 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

Is it? :o

They''ve moved next door to Aston Uni...Millennium Point is a proper university quarter now.

Not quite sure what they've decided to do with the UCE buildings but obviously a proper scope for potential redevelopment with the area it covers.

8 hours ago, VillaChris said:

They''ve moved next door to Aston Uni...Millennium Point is a proper university quarter now.

Not quite sure what they've decided to do with the UCE buildings but obviously a proper scope for potential redevelopment with the area it covers.

Thanks. Have been out of the area for a number of years now, always nice to hear about things like this.

I was at UCE when the Trinity Road stand was being rebuilt, I used to go up to the top floor of the library and check how the redevelopment was getting on nearly every day.

Needless to say my mates thought I was a sad case!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, limpid said:

I suspect it's right at the top of the facilities development agenda.

I agree that in the 'Master Plan' developing Villa Park would be high on the agenda, but given nothing up until now has gone according to that plan, they'd be crazy to do much with it while we are locked in this division (or worse still lower), as any investment would have little effect on the value of the club (assuming this has some importance to the owner).

Lets say the worst happens and this season we are relegated (god forbid), spending money on a stadium that already surpasses everything but perhaps 15 grounds in the country (this is pure guesswork on my part, and not something I am stating as fact) would have no benefit to our League 1 campaign, or even to a Championship campaign, the only value in having a nice stadium is to fill it on big match days so the TV gets a good spectacle and international supporters get a good opinion on what Aston Villa is.

In the modern game gate receipts matter very little (with the exception of the few really big games), Villa have good corporate facilities on the whole, and yet these were rarely totally sold out even in the Premier League, in the worst case scenario where the plan goes totally wrong having a nice ground isn't going to make Villa attractive to new buyers, so for me, we need to have a plan for development, but activate it only when we have some stability and have a manager and team in place that are looking up rather than down, otherwise the lovely new ground just becomes a millstone around the neck of the club.

Land in Witton has very low value, so developing land in Witton also creates a low gain to the club value. The only way I can see that either would increase currently is if Villa were a Premier League team and we developed the "Theme Park of Dreams" idea to include the community in the club. I am all for the idea, and in an ideal world the North Stand at least would be replaced, but lets get things moving in the right direction on the pitch first, because up until now the good Dr has done everything he promised and his return is way short of what he expected I am sure of that, personally I'd rather he didn't waste more money.

Also, the plan fro Dr Tony was that Villa would be one of the top clubs in the world, and much as I love Villa Park, I would doubt very much that a stadium and matchday experience befitting such a club could be created in that environment.

i think on one hand now is exactly the time to do it, we have the upper trinity shut, reopen it, close the north

i dont know if im seeing between the lines we will play a big part in Brums commonwealth games bid and in return we will get some favours when it comes to planning and who knows maybe even rates afterwards, its all about timing with the big city plan, enterprise zones, the commonwealth games, HS2, these economic zones and the advanced manufacturing hub etc

9 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

i think on one hand now is exactly the time to do it, we have the upper trinity shut, reopen it, close the north

i dont know if im seeing between the lines we will play a big part in Brums commonwealth games bid and in return we will get some favours when it comes to planning and who knows maybe even rates afterwards, its all about timing with the big city plan, enterprise zones, the commonwealth games, HS2, these economic zones and the advanced manufacturing hub etc

I agree, attendances will dip next year one way or another. It's the perfect time to rebuild the North Stand (where I sit), and squeeze(lol) the fans in the other 3 stands. We've proven that spending money won't get us up, we might as well redevelop the ground with the money, and create a climate of a club on the up.

1 hour ago, dukes said:

I agree that in the 'Master Plan' developing Villa Park would be high on the agenda, but given nothing up until now has gone according to that plan, they'd be crazy to do much with it while we are locked in this division (or worse still lower), as any investment would have little effect on the value of the club (assuming this has some importance to the owner).

You've created a straw man there. No-one has suggested there is a "Master Plan". I suspect there are a broad range of plans/agendas with different priorities depending on other factors, some inside the club's control and some outside of it. To operate a business any other way would be negligent.

Stadium and facilities plans need to be worked on so that they are ready when needed. This is high on the agenda for the groups who are working on it. The club will be working with the council on short, medium and long term plans about transport and about planning consent. They won't be waiting until we're promoted to have those conversations - it would be negligent of both the club and the council to do otherwise.

• Like 1

I assume everyone's probably already aware of this but thought I'd give a heads up just in case:

Keith Wyness is going to be on BBC Radio WM - West Midlands Football Phone in from 5:30PM today and will be taking calls and questions from fans. Definitely worth a listen.

Can only see the North Stand being redeveloped if we're ever playing regularly in Europe again or even make the CL one year.

That would mean top 6 regularly. We could've redeveloped the ground in the MON area given we were getting 40k average in those days but wouldn't be much use now.

Unless we do that then a 51k ground would be very hollow, we just don't have that big a fanbase imo.

Â