Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

Interesting Dr Tone has mentioned this- though it is on the day we got the lowest crowd of the season!  

The problem is that the North Stand is a goal stand so the demand for corporate fancy facilities are lower in this area even if we got promoted.  That is what really rakes cash in for any new stands/stadiums. I don't like that but that is the modern world. Liverpool basically said the same that the proposed expansion of the Anfield Road End is hardly worth it if it is just for us pleb football fans. 

I think Doug missed a trick in the 1990's. He should have left the Trinity as it was and built a wraparound stand for the witton lane and witton end creating a horsehose style stadium with modern facilities but with history as well. But we can't reverse that. On the plus side to Doug at least he made sure Villa owned a lot of land around the stadium for future development.

One day it would be great to see a swish new North Stand complete with a swanky club megastore and museum but having seen this being discussed at length by the last 2 previous owners and nothing to happen, I will wait and see to any future developments. 

How about this then?  The canal is not very far away,  they could build an extension to nearby Villa Park and build a canal wharf/Basin around which they could build bars and whatnot. 

It would certainly make headlines ,  the first new canal and wharf in 200 years. 

Didn't they re-create Venice in one of the big developments in China? 

They could also run water buses back into town to cover some of the additional transport requirements. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sidcow said:

How about this then?  The canal is not very far away,  they could build an extension to nearby Villa Park and build a canal wharf/Basin around which they could build bars and whatnot. 

It would certainly make headlines ,  the first new canal and wharf in 200 years. 

They could also run water buses back into town to cover some of the additional transport requirements. 

Doesn't Birmingham have more canal mileage than Venice?

33 minutes ago, sidcow said:

That would be amazing. Could get a boat to Villa Park! 

50 minutes ago, villanwesty88 said:

That would be amazing. Could get a boat to Villa Park! 

I saw a TV thing recently about a boat which takes people from central Manchester to Old Trafford.  You buy a membership and you basically drink on the boat instead of a pub and it drops you off right outside the ground. 

4 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I saw a TV thing recently about a boat which takes people from central Manchester to Old Trafford.  You buy a membership and you basically drink on the boat instead of a pub and it drops you off right outside the ground. 

i think the number 11 bus does this too tbf.

23 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

i think the number 11 bus does this too tbf.

I used to get the no 11 from Hall Green to matches what I was a kid. Half the frickin way around the outer circle to get to the game,  used to take bloody hours. 

Don't recall any draught beer mind. Could be tempted to do this now if they served on board now though! 

I always thought it pointless to redevelop villa park until we are back in the prem pushing 40k again. But I could get the idea of preparing for our return back to the prem by starting work whilst we are in the championship. However long we are in this league for we will return to the prem at some point. Only problem is that when we are struggling we average between 33-36k and that's with reasonably cheap tickets. If we were to get ourselves a good exciting team then with cheap tickets it may be worth having a 50k seater stadium, or with a safe standing section it could rise beyond 50k. Our Fanbase is old school though in terms of big fluctuations in crowds for games. 

We keep hearing that corporate is where the money is made and average punters are barely worth building for. 

In which case why not build a huge stadium and let in fans for free or virtually free. 

If you have a stadium packed to the rafters with 100,000 every week you are far more likely to "farm" some future corporate buyers than if you only have 30,000 comming to the games. 

Supermarkets know the value of a loss leader to attract people to the store.  Football clubs seem to operate the opposite way and price people away from the store. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, sidcow said:

In which case why not build a huge stadium and let in fans for free or virtually free. 

If you have a stadium packed to the rafters with 100,000 every week you are far more likely to "farm" some future corporate buyers than if you only have 30,000 coming to the games. 

Supermarkets know the value of a loss leader to attract people to the store.  Football clubs seem to operate the opposite way and price people away from the store. 

They already do that in the bundesliga. it works pretty well from what I can see. the premier league and English football is just money obsessed and has no forward thinking at all. it's just gouge everyone for as much money as possible, especially your own fans. 

Edited by villa89
  • Like 3

There's **** all Tony can realistically do about the train services, unless he wants to spend half of his life lobbying the government. Frankly I'd rather he spent his time making money. 

However, putting on half a dozen 'football special' coaches back into the city center after the match would be a god send. Perhaps they could leave from Lichfield Road? Dead easy from there with minimal traffic and would reduce congestion across the board. 

• Like 1

On 06/11/2016 at 10:51, Rugeley Villa said:

I always thought it pointless to redevelop villa park until we are back in the prem pushing 40k again. But I could get the idea of preparing for our return back to the prem by starting work whilst we are in the championship. However long we are in this league for we will return to the prem at some point. Only problem is that when we are struggling we average between 33-36k and that's with reasonably cheap tickets. If we were to get ourselves a good exciting team then with cheap tickets it may be worth having a 50k seater stadium, or with a safe standing section it could rise beyond 50k. Our Fanbase is old school though in terms of big fluctuations in crowds for games. 

I guess a lot of this comes down to the scale of Dr Tony's plans for the ground and surrounding area. If he has big plans, then planning and applications will need to be put in for approval and the bigger the plans the longer these things can take to get through. For instance Spurs ground improvement took many years to get it started, and they had troubles with the neighbours,

If we have success, which I am certain Dr Tony is hoping for, then we will attract new fans. So it is best to be ready for them, than finding yourself unable to meet demand. A new ground and surrounding areas, also increases our potential sponsorship revenues which will help us compete with the top teams again and in turn increase fan numbers.

A question that has popped into my head, Do we own a lot of the land behind the North Stand? If so, could Dr Tony do what Spurs have done and move the ground slighly in that direction to allow a total rebuild? I'm guessing these are things that might be being considered, and if so that could take a long time to get passed through for approval?

A rebuild incorporating old and new can be either amazing or plain awful IMO depending on if it's done "right".

It's a shame Chelsea never got to build their Battersea power station Stadium as it would have been cool to see how it would have looked.

Bildresultat för chelsea battersea stadium drawings

Edit: Not sure what Pink Floyd would have thought about it thou...

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, NeilS said:

A question that has popped into my head, Do we own a lot of the land behind the North Stand? If so, could Dr Tony do what Spurs have done and move the ground slighly in that direction to allow a total rebuild? I'm guessing these are things that might be being considered, and if so that could take a long time to get passed through for approval?

Yep we do. Before us it was a Post Office depot and TA army base don't you know.  Villa own a lot of land around the ground which in fairness is a legacy of Doug.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Yep we do. Before us it was a Post Office depot and TA army base don't you know.  Villa own a lot of land around the ground which in fairness is a legacy of Doug.

I thought we owned it, but wasn't sure if it was sold off at some point in recent years. I guess that gives the club some scope to re-position the ground slightly and making it a bigger project if they wish..

23 hours ago, sne said:

A rebuild incorporating old and new can be either amazing or plain awful IMO depending on if it's done "right".

It's a shame Chelsea never got to build their Battersea power station Stadium as it would have been cool to see how it would have looked.

Bildresultat för chelsea battersea stadium drawings

Edit: Not sure what Pink Floyd would have thought about it thou...

Ideal launchs for "Ravers" Fireworks

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Â