Tony Xia (no longer involved with AVFC)

Vancvillan

6 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Not really. It wasn't a lie, I truly believed it at the time. 

I was wrong. 

Edit - propaganda is the wrong word. I don't know what word I'm looking for. 

Ha, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Propaganda and 'wider agenda' are both poor phrases to use if your statements were sincere, but you're probably not used to having to choose every word carefully! 

• Like 1

Just now, Davkaus said:

Ha, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Propaganda and 'wider agenda' are both poor phrases to use if your statements were sincere, but you're probably not used to having to choose every word carefully! 

Haha I've tried to let go of having to choose every word carefully! No more dictionaries! :D

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, maqroll said:

I just watched the interview, and he looks about 10 years older than 30, do we have his age right?

He also seemed a bit shy and even nervous, which makes me like him, he's not pompous or polished and he doesn't seem like he's full of shit. 

I look forward to an owner who will be visible and vocal when needed. 

If we really have 50m to spend this summer...I say we bring Tekkers back for the promotion push, wouldn't that be great?!

He's 39.

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I thought his English was pretty poor for a bloke who spent 6 years at Harvard, not sure if that's because he was obviously nervous or if it's just because I'm one of them people

He was last at Harvard and MIT like 20 years ago. If he's remained largely in China speaking Chinese it's not surprising to me that speaking in English is a tad rusty.

As others have said, surprised he revealed how much he paid and his transfer budget. Schoolboy errors, he'll regret that when he's having offers rejected for players this summer.

I didn't see much buisiness accumin in that interview.

Maybe he's over eager to impress us by revealing a good budget?

more worryingly though, he mentioned strengthening goalkeeper, midfield and striker but no defence..

Imagine spending 50 mill and still having Lescott and Richards in defence :blink:

4 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

more worryingly though, he mentioned strengthening goalkeeper, midfield and striker but no defence..

Imagine spending 50 mill and still having Lescott and Richards in defence :blink:

He only mentioned those positions because the interviewer asked if he would strengthen those particular positions. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Nit picking and all that but revealing how much we have to spend this summer was a little naive.  Hopefully that is a lesson very quickly learnt.  

To be fair, he set the minimum at 20 mill and the max at 50 mill. I imagine most other clubs are expecting villa to buy their way back if they can. No harm done.

The lack of financial details are likely due to China's censoring and rather secretive nature, rather than some dodgy dealings.

Besides, if he's backed by the government, more money for us! :D

10 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

I think an important thing to note is that he almost certainly knows the next couple of weeks are the most important. Once he passes the laughable 'Fit and Proper Persons' test of the FA, the club is his and he can do whatever the **** he likes.

Speak big numbers and grand plans, project confidence, that's about all it takes to pass the FA's due diligence. I'll believe it when it happens.

31 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Nit picking and all that but revealing how much we have to spend this summer was a little naive.  Hopefully that is a lesson very quickly learnt.  

To be fair tho, we've all been itching to know.

11 minutes ago, KJT123 said:

He only mentioned those positions because the interviewer asked if he would strengthen those particular positions. 

Pretty sure the interviewer only mentions striker and goalkeeper. Not that it matters, it was a tongue in cheek comment...

43 minutes ago, Daweii said:

He was last at Harvard and MIT like 20 years ago. If he's remained largely in China speaking Chinese it's not surprising to me that speaking in English is a tad rusty.

I work in a University, and there are loads of Chinese students around and there are people doing post-grad qualifications here whose English is **** abysmal considering they've been studying for a while. They don't understand many basic sentences - at least orally. It might well be that their reading and writing comprehension is much better. Indeed once you lose the regularity of immersing yourself in a speaking and listening context, fluency of language declines pretty sharpish.

Edited by Rodders

16 minutes ago, meme said:

The lack of financial details are likely due to China's censoring and rather secretive nature, rather than some dodgy dealings.

Besides, if he's backed by the government, more money for us! :D

On the face of it, it would seem that this might very well be the ideal owner...giving all the right signals that he's not a hit and run owner, he wants to put work into not only the club, but the entire area there, where needed/possible. We are a proxy Chinese satellite right now...yikes. But bring it on, wtf....

45 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

Indeed. I'm disappointed that he didn't at least attempt to sign Wes Morgan in that 44 second clip.

Where's the ambition?

;)

Â