Tony Xia (no longer involved with AVFC)

Vancvillan

Just speculating but i would imagine the skybet championship is not shown on tv in China. Also terrestrial tv is the big thing in china which is brilliant really, they don't go in for subscription channels. Not exactly business savvy but common sense for somebody on villa's commercial side to start negotiating a tv deal over there.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

He made his own money rather than being gifted it like Lerner.

Makes me trust him more.

Not quite. He seems to have come from quite a privileged background. But he looks like he can handle himself.

Edited by hippo

3 minutes ago, hippo said:

Not quite. He seems to have come from quite a privileged background. But he looks like he can handle himself.

Not at all how it came across in the Guardian interview:

"“I grew up in a very normal family,” he said – but according to reports in China’s domestic media he was far from a normal child. They describe Xia, who was one of three children, as a child prodigy who left home to study at university in Beijing at the age of 14."

Edited by JPAngel

52 minutes ago, Butterfingers said:

Agree

Should never have mentioned figures for the war chest though. First golden rule when entering into a transfer window.

To be fair his figures are SO wide ranging that he hasn't really given much away.  I suspect that everyone would expect us to spend £20 million minimum - the £50 million is so much higher as to suggest that he will spend what the manager (and I assume others) think we need to spend.  I don't think he's opening himself up to being held to ransom - any more than you would expect of a new owner who seems to be loaded.

His business is very similar to the oil tycoon arabs and the roman abramovich's of the world. Meaning he has endless amounts currently and owns so much other things and investments that can't see his money dry up, where as the oil tycoons eventually will dry up. He will continue to grow, and his business, Recon Group is a massive loop hole for FFP and other things that football is trying to put restrictions on. Really great for us this!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Richard said:

I've already heard him talk more in the last day than lerner in the last ten years

Interesting that Roberto WAS one of the choices,  emphasis on the WAS

I thought that as well - seemed to be a "we thought about him but we have other options that we think might be better".  Pure speculation on my part but I'll now be surprised in RDM is our next manager.

Just now, allani said:

To be fair his figures are SO wide ranging that he hasn't really given much away.  I suspect that everyone would expect us to spend £20 million minimum - the £50 million is so much higher as to suggest that he will spend what the manager (and I assume others) think we need to spend.  I don't think he's opening himself up to being held to ransom - any more than you would expect of a new owner who seems to be loaded.

Yeah the budget is largely whatever we need. He's just trying to say that in the best way he can not knowing his way around the English language flawlessly. If the manager comes in and wants seven players at £10 million each then we spend £70 million, I don't think there is a cap it's just whatever the case by case requires.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, allani said:

Possibly and I do agree that new owners are exposed to being held to ransom generally.

The fact that he mentioned that theres up to £50mil available, renders the £20mil quotation irrelevant.

There was absolutely nothing to have been gained by mentioning specific figures.

24 minutes ago, Straggler said:

Tony is a Stark change from Lerner and I'm sure he will be an ironclad guarantee of success.  I can't wait to see the team that he assembles.

One that avenges the demise of AVFC perchance?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JPAngel said:

Did Samuelson and Wyness ever get convicted of anything or was it just speculation?

To my best knowledge neither of them are convicted for crimes relating to business, but that doesn't make them bona fide business partners

No, there is no way the national channel in China (CCTV) will pay to broadcast Championships, unless there is 1-2 Chinese players playing there, which may not happen next season.

The number of people watching football games is, for example a normal PL game, about 5-15mil. Between Man Utd and Arsenal, could be 40-50mil. So the market is huge which is good for Villa in a long run if the market potential can be exploited.

1 hour ago, Johnnyp said:

Just speculating but i would imagine the skybet championship is not shown on tv in China. Also terrestrial tv is the big thing in china which is brilliant really, they don't go in for subscription channels. Not exactly business savvy but common sense for somebody on villa's commercial side to start negotiating a tv deal over there.

Pretty sure the Championship would be the same as the PL where the TV broadcast rights are collective, so one team can't go and negotiate a TV deal for themselves elsewhere.

1 hour ago, allani said:

Getting tookover would always give the impression there is money to spend but the best thing to take from it was the fact he said it would be the managers decision. It could be £20m but if it was needed up to £50m! Sounds brilliant let's see how it pans out! 

Â