England Euro 2016 Chat

andykeenan

I think I'd have been tempted to drop Barkley and take Townsend, not a player I love but he seems to save his best form for England and we only really have Sterling as a wide option which seems stupid to say the least.

Barkley would have got the chop for me as I don't see the point in having Rooney, Ali, Lallana and Barkley all wanting to play 10 and being not perfect in other roles. Barkley has been woeful at the back end of the season so is last in line.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, 007√ said:

I agree, but watching Drinkwater play, he looked way out of his depth! Wilshere, if fit can play. Its definitely a gamble but I'd have a fit Wilshere over Drinkwater by far.

I don't get why we once again take injured players to a tournament, wilshere, Henderson and sturridge. Stupid.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Jimzk5 said:

I don't get why we once again take injured players to a tournament, wilshere, Henderson and sturridge. Stupid.

I completely agree, its all politics. But who as a English player can fill those midfield roles? Are you willing to bring a young uprising non experienced youngster into the senior squad?

Woy has really gambled by only taking three centre backs and three players with very questionable fitness.

As with all things England, this gamble will prove more costly than good.

Of the three injured players, Sturridge is the only game changer but think Rashford has shown more (and would be more of an enigma to the opposition) than Sturridge in the latter half of the season. He is bang in form and does not look phased.

With Sturridge, all defenders need to do is give him a quick kick or nudge - he'll feel a bit of pain and then quietly slide out of the game, frightened of being injured.

Neither Henderson or Wilshire offer any more than Dier, Milner or Alli, especially in their current state of fitness.

As for the three centre backs - Stones is woefully out of form and at times a liability with his barca-esque dribbling and cruyff turns... Again, shenanigans like that will be costly at the pointy end of the tourno.

Both Cahill and Smalling are both good but the former has been out of form and suffered niggly injuries a lot this season. All it will take is one injury and a suspension and defensively we're buggered.

Well done Woy - another potentially decent tournament is doomed for failure due to picking favourites.

8 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Hodgson is a clown. Can't wait until we get knocked out of the group stages and this old **** walks.

and gets replaced by the next manager who does the exact same thing...

this shit is nothing new, they all do it

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

Wishere over Drinkwater is sheer stupidity from Woy.

As long as he has a pulse, Wilshire gets picked. People will be talking up his potential when he's 65 years old. Total waste of space.

Edited by One For The Road
  • Like 2

tbf hasnt he had more assists than ozil since christmas?

quietly going about his business since klopp being the genius manager that he is decided that he was a central midfielder rather than a winger (i shit you not ive had a liverpool fan tell me that :bang: )

2 hours ago, Jimzk5 said:

They're not injured, they're recovering from injury. Wilshere in particular seems pretty far along the road to recovery. 

1 hour ago, sexbelowsound said:

Wishere over Drinkwater is sheer stupidity from Woy.

I couldn't disagree more. 

Drinkwater has two caps and has looked crap in both of them. It's not like he didn't have the chance to impress. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, YGabbana said:

So hes taking 3 players who are unfit and lacking match fitness, missed a chunk of the season. That will bite him in the arse big time

Sturridge and Henderson won't be starting so you can manage their fitness and tailor training for their needs as subs don't need the same sort of training intensity as the regular starters.

Wilshere though....you just know he's now going to get shoe-horned into the starting 11 where his lack of fitness will be brutally exposed. 

Too be honest, drinkwater hasn't impressed at international level on my eyes so can see why he isn't picked.
Townsend offers something different and a different formation so maybe would've took him over Barkley who is on poor form. 
Still feel we are a defender short, but Roy has disregarded shawcross and there isn't really anyone else.

I would have definitely taken Drinkwater. I'd have dropped Barkley and Townsend personally. I think we have enough going forward but need more defensive minded midfield players to ensure we stay in games. Especially with a weak back line.