England Euro 2016 Chat

andykeenan

Everton's John Stones - one of only three recognised centre-backs in England's 23-man squad - has faced criticism for the way he plays the game, often preferring to dribble his way out of trouble rather than clear the ball.

But Michael Owen has strongly defended the 22-year-old and said: "This kid could play for Barcelona.

"He's probably the only player in the England squad who could walk into Barcelona's team at the moment.

Shut up Michael for **** sake.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36431984

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

@V01

Who else would you play? It was a toss up between him and Milner. Now however much I like Milner, and he has been on good form recently, he's never really impressed that much for England imo. Henderson is awful, as is lallana.

Every other midfielder in the squad ahead of him. I'd say you have start Milner though. 

I wouldn't start Stones either, hasn't been in form since Christmas.

2 hours ago, V01 said:

Every other midfielder in the squad ahead of him. I'd say you have start Milner though. 

I wouldn't start Stones either, hasn't been in form since Christmas.

I agree about Stones' form but o just think Cahill is far too slow at international. When he has Terry next to him, whilst also slow they can sit back and Terry will direct him where to go. For England he gets exposed too often and doesn't have the partner to cover him.

Shame Woy only knows about 3 CB's who are eligible, I don't know what Shawcross has to do to get a call up. He should have been begging Terry to come out of retirement.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, V01 said:

Shame Woy only knows about 3 CB's who are eligible, I don't know what Shawcross has to do to get a call up. He should have been begging Terry to come out of retirement

I'm surprised Terry even wants to continue to play in England, let alone for England, after the way the FA treated him.

59 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

I'm surprised Terry even wants to continue to play in England, let alone for England, after the way the FA treated him.

Is my sarcasm meter broken?

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Is my sarcasm meter broken?

No sarcasm. He was found innocent over the Anton Ferdinand incident by the courts. The FA then did their own investigation and found him guilty of the same thing. 

4 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

No sarcasm. He was found innocent over the Anton Ferdinand incident by the courts. The FA then did their own investigation and found him guilty of the same thing. 

I'm well aware of what happened. He shouted a racial epithet at Ferdinand on the pitch. Video footage clearly showed this. He never denied it, including in court. His defence was that he was repeating something he thought he heard. 

This was never particularly likely. The charge didn't meet the burden of proof in a criminal court, but the FA were completely entitled to perform their own investigation. 

Anyway, I guess this is off topic, sorry all for diverting things. 

• Like 2

If there was ever a time for England to win it's next major tournament, it's now. The team is good enough to win it, and they look like they're hungry, which is an attribute I haven't associated with England sides in a long time. I think England are legitimate contenders for this tournament, and the World Cup as well. 

I still think England could have won in 1998, but for lack of belief.

• Like 1

I think the problem we saw last night is Rooney central gets in the way of Ali getting forward centrally and blocks space for him to make runs forward.

So that means Rooney shoehorned out wide which we've seen many times he can't do anymore at age of 30.

Either Rooney on the bench or most likely I think next Saturday Woy wil keep the diamond but take out Vardy and put Rooney right upfront alongside Kane. 

5 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I watched last night and thought we'd do well to get out the group

We just seem to get utter idiots as manager

Huh? Hodgeson has been a good england manager so far? We didnt play well yet we still won against a decent side. thats doesnt happen often

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Huh? Hodgeson has been a good england manager so far? We didnt play well yet we still won against a decent side. thats doesnt happen often

hodgson is the same as every other england manager ive ever come across, buckles under the media pressure to play the names that they want him to play

pisses his way through the group stage because lets be honest we should

last world cup we went out playing 4-2-4, midfield of a 34 year old gerrard and henderson, front 4 of sterling, welbeck, sturridge and rooney

this summer he's called up wilshere, henderson and sturridge despite all 3 of them struggling for fitness, last night he once again showed that he's desperately trying to play all the names

a good manager has a shape, a style, a formation, a way of playing and then picks the best 11 players suited to those roles, roy along with all england managers simply dont have the bollocks to do it

• Like 1

8 hours ago, maqroll said:

If there was ever a time for England to win it's next major tournament, it's now. The team is good enough to win it, and they look like they're hungry, which is an attribute I haven't associated with England sides in a long time. I think England are legitimate contenders for this tournament, and the World Cup as well

I still think England could have won in 1998, but for lack of belief.

ROFL! No chance.