England Euro 2016 Chat

andykeenan

16 minutes ago, a m ole said:

I don't know why it's fashionable to hate Rooney and think he's not even good enough for the squad now. Anyway.

I'd probably start against Russia with:

Hart

Walker   Smalling   Cahill   Rose

Dier

Drinkwater            Alli

Rooney

Vardy          Kane

What's good is that the formation can switch pretty seamlessly with subs - Sturridge can replace Rooney for a fast, attacking 4-3-3, Wilshire can come in for Drinkwater or Dier, Vardy out for Henderson and go 4-2-3-1.

I think it's important to have the form players in though - and club combinations like Drinkwater/Vardy and Rose//Dier/Alli/Kane where they are all on the same wavelength. I think Rooney is probably the best player to facilitate that chemistry and why I'd start him now.

Yes thats what  I would go with. Walker or Clyne is marginal.

27 minutes ago, V01 said:

You had me until Wilshere.

Haha I know. Woy will play him at some point though, and he's better than Lallana for me. Obviously his fitness is the big issue but that's for the staff to figure out. Not in the starting line up though.

Edited by a m ole

Woy's love in with Wilshere seems to be due to him having "3 man of the match performances" in qualifying. Correct me if I'm wrong but England were playing pub teams so no indication of the quality you'll get in the real thing.

What's worse to me is Wilshere was playing DM aswell...travesty if he starts ahead of likes of Dier and Drinkwater who've been genuinely excellent in that position all season.

Wilshere-Ali-Rooney...there's simply not enough defensive nous there against the very best teams, Germany would rip that apart imo.

That's a little indication of where things could go very wrong, Woy needs to pick the right places in the right positions and not bugger things up.

Dier, Drinkwater, Alli

If he absolutely has to play Rooney put him him at the tip of the diamond, Kane and (I hate myself for this) Vardy up top.

Shame the defence is awful, Shawcross should be picked ahead of all those jokers.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

Any one think Sturridge and Vardy would work together, or are they too similar?

Sturridge is not fond of passing the ball which wouldnt really utilise Vardy pace. 

20 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

Any one think Sturridge and Vardy would work together, or are they too similar?

I think we really need to get Vardy and Kane playing together in the warm-ups to see whether those two can form a partnership. I see Sturridge as no more than a sub unless Hodgson goes 4-3-3 which wont work in imo. 

• Like 2

Woy's love in with Wilshere seems to be due to him having "3 man of the match performances" in qualifying.

I'm not disagreeing but part of why I gave up watching England was because of the likes of wilshere constantly getting man of the match off Andy Townsend despite doing pretty much **** all

see also sir andros of Townsend, the blokes the invisible man for 89 minutes before cutting inside due to the fact that he can't cross and scuffing a daisy cutter in past a Sunday league keeper, inevitably winning the man of the match award

And very few people suggesting we start Henderson who played most of the qualifiers or Milner who has been excellent since Christmas

I think we'll go with a diamond, dier at the base, Henderson and wilshere in the middle, Ali at the top then Rooney off Kane up front

Sturridge for me last night showed he shouldn't be anywhere near starting, hasn't got 90 minutes in him, impact sub at best, 4th choice striker

I don't think he was too bad on Saturday to be honest. But is he better than our other options? I don't really think so.

I'd like to see him play there in one of the other warmups to see him there for England. As long as Roy acts on the outcome (i.e. if he's shit then don't play him there!)

8 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I don't think he was too bad on Saturday to be honest. But is he better than our other options? I don't really think so.

I'd like to see him play there in one of the other warmups to see him there for England. As long as Roy acts on the outcome (i.e. if he's shit then don't play him there!)

Waching the cup final I was in too minds about Rooney in midfield. At times he was good and made things happen. He always wants the ball, which can become a problem when he slows it down and passes backwards. I think because of his 'senior' role in the side players feel they always need to give it to give him the ball when he shouts for it making us very predictable.

On 5/21/2016 at 19:04, rodders0223 said:

Not only that but he is doing the Steven Gerrard thing of dropping into some utterly pointess positions to play utterly pointless passes. Pirlo they are not.

he does that when he's playing up front...

I think for once this england side may get to QF at least, finally ahve some real good players like vardy, kane, ali etc Not relying on reputation players like gerrard, lampard and that oaf rooney

• Like 1