England Euro 2016 Chat

andykeenan

44 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I couldn't disagree more. 

Drinkwater has two caps and has looked crap in both of them. It's not like he didn't have the chance to impress. 

And? Wilshere has done nothing all season but still manages to get in whilst Drinkwater has played an important role in a title winning side.

Wilshere can **** off.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

And? Wilshere has done nothing all season but still manages to get in whilst Drinkwater has played an important role in a title winning side.

Wilshere can **** off.

You can't just go picking people who've been rubbish at international level because they were good for their club. Maybe Drinkwater will have his time in the future. 

Wilshere was much better against Australia by all accounts. I don't get the indiscriminate hatred towards him at all. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, YGabbana said:

Drinkwater played well in the DM role against Australia imo. Broke up play and played the simple pass. Maybe people expected him to do more but id play him over Henderson for sure

He played well when he came on against Turkey too. He is one player that will look for the runs of Vardy. Roy is wrong to not take him. 

12 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

You can't just go picking people who've been rubbish at international level because they were good for their club. Maybe Drinkwater will have his time in the future. 

Wilshere was much better against Australia by all accounts. I don't get the indiscriminate hatred towards him at all. 

It's because International football should be about earning your caps through what you do at club level. Wilshere has done next to nothing at club level for at least this season and is living off of 'potential'.

I understand that he probably has more potential than Drinkwater and has also probably shown himself to be capable of being much better than him as well however in a tournament do you take a player who is capable of being a steady 6-7/10 or do you take a player that may be an 8/10, a 5/10 or may not even play at all?

Just now, sexbelowsound said:

It's because International football should be about earning your caps through what you do at club level. Wilshere has done next to nothing at club level for at least this season and is living off of 'potential'.

I understand that he probably has more potential than Drinkwater and has also probably shown himself to be capable of being much better than him as well however in a tournament do you take a player who is capable of being a steady 6-7/10 or do you take a player that may be an 8/10, a 5/10 or may not even play at all?

I'd rather win as many matches as possible, and I think we have a better chance of that with Wilshere than Drinkwater. That's all it boils down to. 

But he won't be fit, and Wilshere is just as anonymous in the majority f his England games than Drinkwater was. I think it's unfair to judge a guy who has not had bit parts in a couple of matches and not set the game alight. If he'd have been in our squad and playing throughout the tournament consistently I think he'd have been really good. Plus he has a good understanding with Vardy.

The real point is Woy picked someone like Barkley ahead of a Premier League winning player. Barkley has been gaash all season.

Yeah I really don't understand the Lallana fascination either. 

He was supposed to start at last world cup and barely played so think he'll start the first game, flatter to decisive and we'll barely see him again at international level.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ginko said:

But he won't be fit, and Wilshere is just as anonymous in the majority f his England games than Drinkwater was. I think it's unfair to judge a guy who has not had bit parts in a couple of matches and not set the game alight. If he'd have been in our squad and playing throughout the tournament consistently I think he'd have been really good. Plus he has a good understanding with Vardy.

The real point is Woy picked someone like Barkley ahead of a Premier League winning player. Barkley has been gaash all season.

There's a limited number of squad places. There are loads of players who have a couple of caps and didn't set the game alight. 

19 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'd rather win as many matches as possible, and I think we have a better chance of that with Wilshere than Drinkwater. That's all it boils down to. 

I disagree. I think Drinkwater over Wilshire for the same reason.

22 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

It's because International football should be about earning your caps through what you do at club level. 

It should be the best players IMO. Although, some people complained about Gerrard and Lampard despite them being among the best players in the PL and better English players, so who knows.

Edited by kurtsimonw

Just now, kurtsimonw said:

It should be the best players IMO. Although, some people complain about Gerrard and Lampard despite them being among the best players in the PL and better English players, so who knows.

So even if you are considered a better player you get to go even if you've barely played all season over someone who has played and performed well in a team that won the league?

Germany have taken players who have performed this season over players who are considered better who haven't.

2 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

So even if you are considered a better player you get to go even if you've barely played all season over someone who has played and performed well in a team that won the league?

Germany have taken players who have performed this season over players who are considered better who haven't.

How about taking somebody who has performed better in their international appearances than someone who has performed worse?

Yes it's a small sample size, but that's all we have to go on. 

11 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

If it's a result of you being injured, yes. Better players are more likely to win you games. But as I mentioned, you'll never make everyone happy. The most criticised players in the England set up over the best decade fit the bill of in form and best player... yet people still don't want them.

You can make all kinds of arguments. What about the players who got us there? Is it right that Wilshire is one of the best players in qualifying, then because Drinkwater had good games for a completely different side, he should reap the rewards?

Edited by kurtsimonw

7 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

How about taking somebody who has performed better in their international appearances than someone who has performed worse?

Yes it's a small sample size, but that's all we have to go on. 

But Wilshere has had far more opportunities in the England team than Drinkwater so it's hardly a fair comparison.

Hodgson said when he first became manager that he'd pick players based on current form and he's proven to be a hypocrite more than once now. Wiltshire is a good player but doesn't deserve to go to the Euros more than Drinkwater.

It's a moot point anyway as Ross Barkley shouldn't be anywhere near the team. Silly decision to take him and leave Drinkwater in my opinion.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ginko said:

It's a moot point anyway as Ross Barkley shouldn't be anywhere near the team. Silly decision to take him and leave Drinkwater in my opinion.

Can't agree there.

24 minutes ago, Ginko said:

But Wilshere has had far more opportunities in the England team than Drinkwater so it's hardly a fair comparison.

Hodgson said when he first became manager that he'd pick players based on current form and he's proven to be a hypocrite more than once now. Wiltshire is a good player but doesn't deserve to go to the Euros more than Drinkwater.

I'd have left Barkley and taken Townsend personally, not because I think Townsend is better but he does offer something different than a 3rd or 4th choice number 10 who hasn't played well months. That's probably the only change I'd have made. 

Ultimately the squad is about as good as it can be in 2016. If Roy does badly at the tournament, well, he'll carry the can, but I think he's made pretty decent decisions so far. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sexbelowsound said:

ntial than Drinkwater and has also probably shown himself to be capable of being much better than him as well however in a tournament do you take a player who is capable of being a steady 6-7/10 or do you take a player that may be an 8/10, a 5/10 or may not even play at all?

Weve got a guy whos 26 years old and due to one good season hes going to be the consistent 6-7/10 player in his first international tourny?

Fwiw, much prefer the latter in a tournament where you likely need to get super lucky throughout so would prefer to just hope variance is in our favour and the guy plays 8/10 in the more "important/tougher" games. (

It really shouldnt be drinkwater vs wilshire. It should be drinkwater vs henderson/barkley/lallana imo.

Edited by gharperr
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, sexbelowsound said:

You had Podolski sweating for a minute then mate....

All National teams have odd selections, Gignac for example playing in Mexico over Kevin Gamiero and Eder for Portugal who was abysmal for Swansea.