England Euro 2016 Chat

andykeenan

7 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Hodgson is a clown. Can't wait until we get knocked out of the group stages and this old **** walks.

England are 6/1 not making it out of the group stage, its actually harder to get knocked out than qualify in this tournament

• Like 2

4 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Yeah I really don't understand the Lallana fascination either. 

He was supposed to start at last world cup and barely played so think he'll start the first game, flatter to decisive and we'll barely see him again at international level.

it really doesnt make sense and when Liverpool fans(the most deluded of them all) say similar you know he isnt great

4 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Italy are pretty ropey at the moment. Solid in defence but barely have an attack worthy of the word.

But some how they always seem to do well against us in the major tournaments. On paper we probably have a better squad so could be interesting. 

9 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

But some how they always seem to do well against us in the major tournaments. On paper we probably have a better squad so could be interesting. 

They still went out in the group stages at the World Cup, and their squad then was stronger than it is now.

No Verratti or Marchisio and a set of strikers who haven't even really played for the second half of the season, let alone in form and scoring.

I don't have a problem with Wilshere going as he is a good player on his day, I just think Drinkwater should have gone instead of Barkley as we've already got Rooney/Lallana/Alli and even Sterling who can play the number 10 role and Barkley can't really play anywhere else, he's not been in good form since January either. 

We have a shit ton of forward thinking players, Just think Drinkwater would have been a more useful as a solid option to close out games or make us a bit more solid defensively in games where we need it.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Bookies have us at 4th favourite, and for me that's about right. Spain, Germany and France above us.

Would put Belgium above England but England in next group with Portugal and Italy in semi finals would be a very good end result.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

British teams always struggle against Italy's rock solid defence, don't think Republic of Ireland or Scotland had much joy against them in previous meetings. I do think Irish can nick a draw against them in group stages as this squad is much weaker than the 2012 version imo.

Didn't realise until 9 they repeated the whole of the England-Scotland Euro 96 game on red button. The Shearer documentary was a very good watch aswell.

Don't remember anything of euro 96, France 98 was first tournament I watch.

Just think it's a massive shame England haven't hosted a tournament since and likely won't again for the foreseeable future due to politics.

Would be amazing to be in the country when it would be on, demand for tickets would be insane which is interesting as I believe a lot of the general matches didn't actually see out including a couple at VP.

I think England will host a Euros soon enough. with expansion to 24 teams only England , Spain, Germany, Russia, France, Turkey and Italy are big enough stadiumwise to really host it singlehandedly as UEFA probably not fond of co-hosting

Russia and France have tournaments soon and Italy and Spain in crisis that they dont have money plus Turkey is still a dodgy enough choice

My starting team against Wales and Russia:

Hart

Clyne Stones Smalling Bertrand

Dier 

Wilshire  Ali

Rooney

Kane Vardy

However, I still think RH will chicken out of playing 442 and go:

hart

Walker Smalling Cahill Rose

Dier Wilshire

Rooney Ali Vardy

Kane

Whilst the players are the same the difference in where Vardy will start will be pivotal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chappy said:

Really enjoyed the euro96 documentary!

Just watched that  - good stuff. I was a 21 year old living in London at the time and it brought back good good memories.

Although I'd forgotten about the trouble which kicked off all over the city after the semi-final defeat.

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

I think England will host a Euros soon enough. with expansion to 24 teams only England , Spain, Germany, Russia, France, Turkey and Italy are big enough stadiumwise to really host it singlehandedly as UEFA probably not fond of co-hosting

Russia and France have tournaments soon and Italy and Spain in crisis that they dont have money plus Turkey is still a dodgy enough choice

I read sometime last year that Germany/Allianz Arena were the main threat to Wembley for the Euro 2020 SF/Final, but there's basically an agreement that they backed down for that in turn for our support for them to host Euro 2024, then they'd support us for 2028. So 2028 could be a possibility for us.

4 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

My starting team against Wales and Russia:

Hart

Clyne Stones Smalling Bertrand

Dier 

Wilshire  Ali

Rooney

Kane Vardy

However, I still think RH will chicken out of playing 442 and go:

hart

Walker Smalling Cahill Rose

Dier Wilshire

Rooney Ali Vardy

Kane

Whilst the players are the same the difference in where Vardy will start will be pivotal.

I don't know why you think that's chickening out. Playing Hart by the corner flag looks plenty brave to me!

• Like 1

@V01

Who else would you play? It was a toss up between him and Milner. Now however much I like Milner, and he has been on good form recently, he's never really impressed that much for England imo. Henderson is awful, as is lallana.

I honestly think we have actual players who can cause any european country problems. players like vardy, kane, alli, dier

Not saying we can win it but I think England will have  a good tournament this time round. Its great that for first time in years we dont have to rely on rooney

I think Vardy is a certain red card against cunning central defenders. defenders like Ramos, Pepe, Chiellini will get under his skin and we have seen this season the smallest bit of aggro can wind him up

bloody Bacuna wound him up at Villa Park