England Euro 2016 Chat

andykeenan

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

this summer he's called up wilshere, henderson and sturridge despite all 3 of them struggling for fitness, last night he once again showed that he's desperately trying to play all the names

He'd have been mental to not take Henderson/Sturridge, if fit - and it seems they are. I can see some argument for not taking Wilshire, though Drinkwater/Delph being next on the list means I'd have probably taken him as well.

Just watched the bbc programme on Euro 96. Still as 13 yr old my favourite ever tournament. Still don't know how gazza didn't score. Goosebumps watching it really.

Hope this team can play the football that team did, in this tournament.

31 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Just watched the bbc programme on Euro 96. Still as 13 yr old my favourite ever tournament. Still don't know how gazza didn't score. Goosebumps watching it really.

What scraping a draw at home to Swiss, needing the ball to move to avoid 1-1 v Scotland and probably another draw and being outplayed against Spain.

Sounds familiar...;)

13 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

What scraping a draw at home to Swiss, needing the ball to move to avoid 1-1 v Scotland and probably another draw and being outplayed against Spain.

Sounds familiar...;)

Missing the Dutch and German games (besides the ons) where we played some fantastic football. Against Holland possibly some of the best I've ever seen an England team play. You're right give me the last World Cup anytime ;) (as yes I appreciate your were being very tongue in cheek before).

Ha yes of course. I don't remember anything of euro 96 (first tournament i watched was 98 world cup and can remember many games of that) so highlights is all I can go on. In fairness England are never going to wipe the floor with opposition so yes that is probably the best you're going to get.

From what I've seen England's best tournament performance was 2002 World cup. Beat a major nation in the Argies, swept aside Denmark 3-0 no problem in 2nd round and were leading Brazil....given after that was Turkey and Germany I think that was the best chance. 

3 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Yes just watched it myself. Great memories.  The 4-1 win against Holland is the best performance by England in a major tournament I think,  Holland were an outstanding team at the time. 

Edited by PaulC
  • Like 1

This is how the Daily Fail predicted the England squad for the 2016 Euros to look back in 2007 :D

mail-england-euro2016-team

To their defense it's almost impossible to predict such things, still, not great...

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, sne said:

This is how the Daily Fail predicted the England squad for the 2016 Euros to look back in 2007 :D

To their defense it's almost impossible to predict such things, still, not great...

Not sure why they would assume Rooney wouldn't be in the side? 

9 minutes ago, Genie said:

Not sure why they would assume Rooney wouldn't be in the side? 

Haha, yeah.

Even back in 07 he must have been i brighter prospect than Jose Baxter 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, sne said:

So where are they now?

Ben Amos - Bolton Wanderers (just relegated to League 1)

Sam Hutchinson - Sheff Wednesday (Championship)

Micah Richards - Sadly us..... (just relegated to Championship as Club Captain...)

Gavin Hoyte - Barnet (League 2)

Robbie Threlfall - No current team

Dean Parrett - Stevenage (League 2)

Michael Johnson - Booze Busters Select XI

James Henry - Wolves (Championship)

Theo Walcott - Arsenal (Premier League)

Jose Baxter - Sheffield Utd (suspended for failing drugs tests!) (League 1)

Scott Sinclair - Again sadly us... (just relegated to Championship)

What a sorry bunch of players!!!

Only Walcott (who hasn't made the squad this tournament either) has had a 'spectacular' career.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sne said:

that was closer to the Aston Villa relegation 2016 squad

of that 11 only Walcott be in top flight next season :lol:

Never even heard of Robbie Threlfall or Dean Parrett.

But it is something completely impossible to predict. Some of the squad wouldn't have even been teenagers in 2007.

Edited by kurtsimonw

On 03/06/2016 at 20:16, mikeyp102 said:

Still don't know how gazza didn't score.

To be fair, I thought Gazza explained it pretty well in that programme.

He thought the keeper was going to get a touch so he held back ever so slightly. Then when the keeper failed to touch it, he wasn't expecting it, so couldn't stretch quick enough.

If he hadn't made that assumption then he'd have scored.

What I always forget about that game, is it was golden goal so that literally would have been it if he had scored.

Edited by Stevo985

On 6/3/2016 at 20:48, VillaChris said:

Sounds familiar...;)

To be honest, Spain didn't just outplay England they were point blank robbed. They had two legitimate goals incorrectly ruled out, it was utterly scandalous, on some Korea 2002 level shit. 

• Like 4

On 6/3/2016 at 23:15, VillaChris said:

Ha yes of course. I don't remember anything of euro 96 (first tournament i watched was 98 world cup and can remember many games of that) so highlights is all I can go on. In fairness England are never going to wipe the floor with opposition so yes that is probably the best you're going to get.

From what I've seen England's best tournament performance was 2002 World cup. Beat a major nation in the Argies, swept aside Denmark 3-0 no problem in 2nd round and were leading Brazil....given after that was Turkey and Germany I think that was the best chance. 

Ironically, if David Beckham wouldn't have scored that freekick against Greece, England would have had the easiest route to a final in the history of the world cup (i.e. Germany's path). Instead England had to face Brazil, where Beckham bottling a challenge near the half way line lead to Rivaldo's goal.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

10 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Ironically, if David Beckham wouldn't have scored that freekick against Greece, England would have had the easiest route to a final in the history of the world cup (i.e. Germany's path). Instead England had to face Brazil, where Beckham bottling a challenge near the half way line lead to Rivaldo's goal.

Que?

The Beckham freekick against Greece was in the qualifiers so wouldn't have had any influence on the route to the final.

We played Sweden, Argentina and Nigeria in the group stages of the tournament, drawing with both Sweden and Nigeria but somehow beating Argentina (Michael Owen dive in the box, Beckham scuffed penalty)

We then dicked Denmark 3-1 before facing Brazil where as pointed out, Beckham bottled a challenge leading to the equaliser on half time and that Ronaldinho 'did-he-mean-it' free-kick.