England Euro 2016 Chat

andykeenan

9 hours ago, Zatman said:

dont think he was ever going to make it though

Yeah, if anything I'm a bit disappointed by that news.

I'd have preferred for him just to be cut for not being good enough.

11 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Yes but he's not going to be a starter isn't he.

Should be a decent bench option and should be able to manage fitness better that way.

id definite take Rashford ahead of him, dont think he will but Hodgson should take all 5 but probably too risky

• Like 1

With Delph out, it's made Hodgson's decision a little easier as now he only has 2 to let down.

Personally, I think taking 5 strikers is a waste especially when one of the picks (Sturridge) is already injured and we have the attacking midfield players (Alli, Berkely, Lallana and even Townsend) who can supplement the attacking options.

For that reason I wouldn't take Sturridge.

As for the final chop, Woy has really gambled by selecting his usual crowd of Delph, Henderson, Wilshire, Sturridge etc - all of whom are currently injured or just coming back from lengthy injuries.

We surely cannot go into a major tournament where our midfield are nowhere near match fit and susceptible to injury. (although Woy will probably shoehorn Rooney into central midfield just so he plays!)

Out of the crocked midfielders, Delph is already out of the tourno (so a wasted opportunity for someone who's played all season) which leaves either Henderson or Wilshire. We surely cannot take both and leave behind Drinkwater?!? This would be a major gamble and knowing England's luck one or both would get injured and Alli/Dier will get suspended.....

I'd leave Wilshire behind, minimal playing time this season and has not looked match-fit/effective in his 3 appearances for Arsenal and England. I honestly think Henderson is a better fit for how England play and could sit alongside Dier, allowing Alli the freedom to express himself.

My England XI (from Woy's current squad)

..................Hart

Clyne.Smalling.Cahill.Rose

....Henderson.Dier.Milner

..................Alli

...........Kane.Vardy

Subs: Forster, Walker, Stones, Lallana,Sterling, Rashford, Rooney

I don't hold out much hope for a successful tournament, when arguably we should be pushing for a place in the final.

I can see the decision to only take 3 centre halves backfiring spectacularly (Rooney can play there as well..;)) and taking a perma-crocked squad is just begging for punishment.

With Delph out, it's made Hodgson's decision a little easier as now he only has 2 to let down.

Personally, I think taking 5 strikers is a waste especially when one of the picks (Sturridge) is already injured and we have the attacking midfield players (Alli, Berkely, Lallana and even Townsend) who can supplement the attacking options.

For that reason I wouldn't take Sturridge.

As for the final chop, Woy has really gambled by selecting his usual crowd of Delph, Henderson, Wilshire, Sturridge etc - all of whom are currently injured or just coming back from lengthy injuries.

We surely cannot go into a major tournament where our midfield are nowhere near match fit and susceptible to injury. (although Woy will probably shoehorn Rooney into central midfield just so he plays!)

Out of the crocked midfielders, Delph is already out of the tourno (so a wasted opportunity for someone who's played all season) which leaves either Henderson or Wilshire. We surely cannot take both and leave behind Drinkwater?!? This would be a major gamble and knowing England's luck one or both would get injured and Alli/Dier will get suspended.....

I'd leave Wilshire behind, minimal playing time this season and has not looked match-fit/effective in his 3 appearances for Arsenal and England. I honestly think Henderson is a better fit for how England play and could sit alongside Dier, allowing Alli the freedom to express himself.

My England XI (from Woy's current squad)

..................Hart

Clyne.Smalling.Cahill.Rose

....Henderson.Dier.Milner

..................Alli

...........Kane.Vardy

Subs: Forster, Walker, Stones, Lallana,Sterling, Rashford, Rooney

I don't hold out much hope for a successful tournament, when arguably we should be pushing for a place in the final.

I can see the decision to only take 3 centre halves backfiring spectacularly (Rooney can play there as well..;)) and taking a perma-crocked squad is just begging for punishment.

Surely Drinkwater is the better option to Henderson? 1 of the best Mids this season in a league winning team.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, YGabbana said:

Surely Drinkwater is the better option to Henderson? 1 of the best Mids this season in a league winning team.

I'd certainly take him (esp over Wilshire) whether he's a starter is another matter.

He'll take wilshere and he'll start him

First game vs Russia wilshere and Henderson will be starting, two midfielders struggling for fitness...and we'll wonder where it goes wrong...

Think sturridge will miss out and probably Townsend but both have the media backing, I really wouldn't be surprised if he dropped drinkwater

• Like 2

I still think Ali is better in midfield, rather than as the 10. Dier in the holding role. Then Roy will have to decide between wilshire or Henderson. 

I don't understand the point in the Portugal game. It would be better to rest them for a week..Kane had played over 50 games this year.

Edited by mikeyp102

19 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Yes but he's not going to be a starter isn't he.

Should be a decent bench option and should be able to manage fitness better that way.

He can't manage his fitness in the build up to the tournament. Rashford is a better option for me now. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, PaulC said:

Who else will miss out then. Townsend will be one I think. The other is between Henderson, Drinkwater and Rashford

I honestly can't see the point of Lallana, what does he really do when he plays other than be o.k in possession.

England are doing nothing if he's being considered a starter.  He dosen't have much pace either if he's going to play out wide.

More I think about it....more Ross Barkley misses out. When you look at it Dele Ali has surpassed him this season as the great young attacking midfielder hope.

You also have to look at where Rooney will fit in...probably again as an AM if England go for Kane and Vardy up top so yeah I'd cut Lallana and Barkley although looks like it will be Drinkwater and another. 

Barkley is getting away with it at the moment, had a poor season, done nothing for England, Ali has definitely overtaken him, he'd probably be 3rd choice sub for that role and yet his name is barely brought up

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Zatman said:

id definite take Rashford ahead of him, dont think he will but Hodgson should take all 5 but probably too risky

It's not really. If England play 2 upfront and also Rooney behind him....then you'd only have Rashford as impact sub.

I'd always prefer two strikers ready to come off the bench if the front two aren't doing much plus also having a wide player there.

I don't think 5 strikers is excessive at all, England are certainly going to need to score goals to progress far given the shambles at the back.

If Welbeck was fit he'd be on the plane without question.

I think if you've got 4 strikers plus sterling we'll be fine, if we play 4-4-2 diamond we have sterling, lallana, Barkley and Ali who can all play there, play some sort of 4-3-3 and sterling can play as one of the front 3

True but I remember 2006 World cup and that abomination from Sven (cue massive Zatman defence....)

Only took 4 strikers, Crouch, Rooney, Owen and Walcott.

Walcott was never ever going to play so you were just down to 3 strikers and Rooney wasn't fit as he did his metatarsal just 6 weeks before. And then Owen did his ACL 2nd game....

I'd take 5 just to be on the safe side and class Rooney as an attacking midfielder for this tournament.