England Euro 2016 Chat

andykeenan

Probably worth comparing to other squads....here's France:

FRANCE 

Goalkeepers: Benoit Costil (Rennes), Hugo Lloris (Tottenham), Steve Mandanda (Marseille).

Defenders: Lucas Digne (Roma), Patrice Evra (Juventus), Christophe Jallet (Lyon), Laurent Koscielny (Arsenal), Eliaquim Mangala (Manchester City), Jeremy Mathieu (Barcelona), Bacary Sagna (Manchester City), Raphael Varane (Real Madrid).

Midfielders: Yohan Cabaye (Crystal Palace), Lassana Diarra (Marseille), N'Golo Kante (Leicester), Blaise Matuidi (Paris Saint-Germain), Paul Pogba (Juventus), Moussa Sissoko (Newcastle).

Forwards: Kingsley Coman (Bayern Munich), Andre-Pierre Gignac (Tigres), Olivier Giroud (Arsenal), Antoine Griezmann (Atletico Madrid), Anthony Martial (Manchester United), Dimitri Payet (West Ham).

They have the best under 25 generation at the tournament but also Gignac. Can't get over he's been picked ahead of Lacezette, he plays in Mexico ffs. Giroud we all know is average against good defences and he's likely to be starting striker with Greizmann and one of Coman/Martial either side of him.

Can't say their defence looks up to much....Evra and Sagna are well in their 30s, Mangala we know is a car crash, Kos is good but not as the leader of the defence (similar to Cahill), Matthieu  hardly gets a game for Barca, been unlucky with injuries there but is it really much better at the back than England?

There are the defenders Belgium have picked (the rest of the team is very very good).

Defenders: Toby Alderweireld (Tottenham), Dedryck Boyata (Celtic), Jason Denayer (Galatasaray), Bjorn Engels (Club Bruges), Nicolas Lombaerts (Zenit), Jordan Lukaku (Oostende), Thomas Meunier (Club Bruges), Thomas Vermaelen (Barcelona), Jan Vertonghen (Tottenham).

Boyata is shite, never heard of Engles, Denayer is potentially good but only plays in Turkey, dunno if baby Lukaku is any good but plays in Belgium as does Meunier which is obviously not a high level of club football and Vermaelan is constantly injured.

So bad Toby and Vertonghen may have to play at FB, that has been rumoured from some Belgium fans on their forums.

And these are two of the favourites to win the competition! 

Is no top class defenders in football at the moment, people say Hummels is best in Europe but he looks crap everytime I see him play. Except the Juventus/Italian connection is not many other great defenders or defences 

12 hours ago, Zatman said:

Is no top class defenders in football at the moment, people say Hummels is best in Europe but he looks crap everytime I see him play. Except the Juventus/Italian connection is not many other great defenders or defences 

agree

but at the same time in a rant of how stones is overrated i listed several youngsters across europe at the moment and there is a decent crop, varane was top of it but im not sure how being a part time footballer over the last 2 years has impacted him, then you've got laporte, marquinhos, jedvaj, gimenez, tah, sule plus then other potentials like baumgartl, christensen, zouma, mammana, riedewald, 

left back you've got gaya at valencia who should be something special, right back maybe tete at ajax

7 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

The England captain who hasn't delivered at a tournament for 12 years? Well he should be picked over him. 

I can't stand Rooney myself. Just saying that there's no way it would ever happen.  Not under Hodgson anyway. Delph over Noble is another shocker. 

What exactly has Andy Carroll done to deserve a call up?

This plan b stuff, every time I watch him and hear play him for England, play it up to him, good old fashioned England striker, no one else plays like it... That's exactly the thing, nobody plays like it, football has moved on, he'd be a walking free kick, the idea that Carroll could play up top and rough up a couple of centre backs that simply doesn't exist anymore

Then you add in the issue that we as a team don't play like that anymore, you could argue that there are only 2 wingers in that team, sterling and Townsend and Townsend might not go and sterling doesn't really play that wide anyway, he'd be a waste of a shirt

Rooneys biggest problem isn't his ability or experience at playing at that level it's his role within the team, if Roy gets it right then we will have a good team, if he shoe horns him in then we won't, I maintain that if he starts with Rooney and sterling then he's royally **** it up, there's only room for one of them and that's only just too

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

This plan b stuff, every time I watch him and hear play him for England, play it up to him, good old fashioned England striker, no one else plays like it... That's exactly the thing, nobody plays like it, football has moved on, he'd be a walking free kick, the idea that Carroll could play up top and rough up a couple of centre backs that simply doesn't exist anymore

Then you add in the issue that we as a team don't play like that anymore, you could argue that there are only 2 wingers in that team, sterling and Townsend and Townsend might not go and sterling doesn't really play that wide anyway, he'd be a waste of a shirt

Rooneys biggest problem isn't his ability or experience at playing at that level it's his role within the team, if Roy gets it right then we will have a good team, if he shoe horns him in then we won't, I maintain that if he starts with Rooney and sterling then he's royally **** it up, there's only room for one of them and that's only just too

Howay Man!!!

Get it in the **** mixer!!

2705AA3B00000578-3013541-image-m-21_1427

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Disagree on Carroll when fit he has been fantastic for West Ham in my opinion, I think his hold up play and the way he brings the rest in to play is very good. Hes faster than he looks and his passing and shooting is good and the way he attacks a header is fantastic. He is able "mix it" but I dont see that being put as a negative to Lewandowski, Zlatan or Suarez not that Im saying hes anywhere near them. 

However Vardy and Kane are sure fire in the squad. I think its more the point of why bring in Rashford when your not going to pick him (or shouldnt) over some one who you might in Carroll or Defoe. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YGabbana said:

Vardy RWF hmmm

Actually really like that team...if it all clicks Vardy, Kane and Sturridge interchanging positions would be a nightmare for defences and you also have Ali making late runs into the box, make it happen Woy.

Would take out Henderson and move Dier back to DM but like that selection a lot. 

I don't know why it's fashionable to hate Rooney and think he's not even good enough for the squad now. Anyway.

I'd probably start against Russia with:

Hart

Walker   Smalling   Cahill   Rose

Dier

Drinkwater            Alli

Rooney

Vardy          Kane

What's good is that the formation can switch pretty seamlessly with subs - Sturridge can replace Rooney for a fast, attacking 4-3-3, Wilshire can come in for Drinkwater or Dier, Vardy out for Henderson and go 4-2-3-1.

I think it's important to have the form players in though - and club combinations like Drinkwater/Vardy and Rose//Dier/Alli/Kane where they are all on the same wavelength. I think Rooney is probably the best player to facilitate that chemistry and why I'd start him now.

Edited by a m ole
  • Like 1