Promotion 2016/7

Jareth

we're currently in the process of feeling out all possible outcomes of a game of football. loss to wednesday didn't feel too good, this draw not so much either, but the win against Rotherham was like sexing a free card, so I think we'll see much more of the last option going forward.

The current squad wouldn't get promoted. You could see tonight, with the lack of depth on that bench, that the minute injuries and suspensions happen - and they'll be a huge part of this league - we'll be down to a pretty poor side alarmingly quickly. 

Happily, we're still active in the transfer market and I'm moderately hopeful we'll be able to bring in the 4 or 5 extra players we need. 

• Like 2

We have dominated every team weve played so far in large parts.. so the potential is there.. if we can click and score a few more goals.. kill off games and then we wont need to worry about 1 individual mistake all the time. Its always crucial to Villa as we rarely score more than 1 a game. Ayew and co score their chances.. game over. Still think we need another striker.. and attacking midfielder. Together with Jedinak and De Laet. RHM and Adama should have been on the bench (provided they were both fit). Would even have preferred Gabby to Hutton AND Richards. 

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2016/08/21/ian-holloway-offers-a-fresh-assessment-of-aston-villa-after-thei/?

Less of a word removed now? :P

Ian Holloway offers a fresh assessment of Aston Villa after their recent signings

The former Crystal Palace and Queens Park Rangers manager previously predicted that the Championship new boys would finish 16th earlier this month.

Millwall Manager  Ian Holloway

Ian Holloway came under heavy criticism from Aston Villa owner Tony Xia before the start of the Championship season after predicting that his side would finish 16th, but the former Crystal Palace and Queens Park Rangers manager’s latest assessment of the claret and blues will likely be much more warmly received.

Villa boss Roberto Di Matteo has strengthened his team’s spine over recent weeks with the signings of Ross McCormack, James Chester and Mile Jedinak, and having also seen the club put in some encouraging performances in the meantime, Holloway is feeling much more positive about their chances of contending for promotion this term.

Speaking on Sky Sports before Villa's 0-0 draw at Derby County on Saturday evening, the 53-year-old said: “I was hoping they’d do this earlier, but they’ve changed the spine of their team now. They’ve got Tommy Elphick, Chester, just signed Jedinak, and obviously McCormack is probably the best player outside the Premier League.

“All I can say is it’s about time. I’m glad for Robbie – he’s a lovely fella. He can’t work miracles, but with Jedinak coming as well it’s phenomenal. They’ve got a real solid spine in that team.

“I’m delighted for Robbie because he’s actually got some money behind him now. I tried to say at the start of the season that you need to change that atmosphere and he’s doing a great job at it.”

Aston Villa's Ross McCormack reacts

One Villa new boy who has faced some scrutiny since the start of the season, however, is 21-year-old Italian goalkeeper Pierluigi Gollini.

The former Manchester United academy standout was signed from Hellas Verona in early July for a reported £4.25 million fee after earning rave reviews for his performances in Serie A last season, but a couple of goal-gifting errors in his first three Championship appearance have already led some to question his starting credentials.

Those mistakes aside, though, the highly-rated stopper has shown his promise by pulling off some superb saves in both the 1-0 loss at Sheffield Wednesday and last Tuesday's 1-1 home draw with Huddersfield Town, and Holloway believes it is far too early for Di Matteo to even contemplate dropping him.

“You don’t realise the process and depth you go into to find yourself a young goalkeeper,” he told Sky Sports before Saturday’s game. “So, yeah, it takes everybody time. They’ll stick with him and, at the end of the day, hopefully his centre-halves will help him.”

Pierluigi Gollini of Aston Villa collides with Chris Martin of Derby County

Gollini subsequently needed to make just one save against Derby, but he did look perfectly composed whenever the hosts threatened in the final third and commanded his area with confidence throughout the 90 minutes.

Let's just hope the 2 goalkeeping screw ups against Wednesday & Huddersfield don't leave us 3 points short of promotion at the end of the season. Our performances suggest we should be undefeated and sitting handsomely on 8 points now at the top end of the league rather than just hovering around mid table with the scum.

• Like 1

We certainly have quality, This is very apparent, however except Rotherham, we don't really know how to kill the better teams off in this league. Maybe its bad luck, maybe it isn't, but in order for us to challenge and be a threat every game, we need some pace and delivery from the wings, a goal scoring midfielder and a striker.  

I am pretty confident that we will have one of the best defences this season, we just lack options up front. Once we address that we will be fighting for automatic promotion.

Edited by Reivax_Villa

I'm quite happy with our steady start, in most senses we have started from behind all the other teams and have not peaked too early. The best is yet to come, even the fact that Jedinak will have had a full week to train with the squad before coming in is a blessing in disguise. As i said i think we will start slow like Usain Bolt, but our top end speed will blow them away eventually! :P

This could be our first team:

-----------------Gollini

New RB--Chester--Elphick--Amavi

--------Tshibola----Jedinak

Ayew-------McCormack-------Grealish

---------------Hernandez---------------

Bench: Bunn, Baker, Cissokoho, Bacuna, Westwood, Green, Gestede

Injuries permitting, there's absolutely no reason why that team shouldn't make a strong push for promotion.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 3

40 minutes ago, Mantis said:

-----------------Gollini

Injuries permitting, there's absolutely no reason why that team shouldn't make a strong push for promotion.

True, however I still fail to see what Green offers. (Yet)

1 hour ago, Mantis said:

-----------------Gollini

I agree, thats a bloody strong side at this level, much stronger than last season.

A few months ago i was one of the doom mongers that feared a season of struggle. Its a remarkable turn around when you consider just how much work has been done. 

3 hours ago, Mantis said:

-----------------Gollini

That starting XI once gelled and working together would likely do relatively well in the Premier League.. Very strong indeed. 

4 hours ago, Mantis said:

-----------------Gollini

Looks good... Bench a bit stronger.. but i still cant see any good attacking options besides Gestede on that bench. 

Â