Promotion 2016/7

Jareth

27 minutes ago, terrytini said:

For me, I see no relevance at all in what Newcastle do, so I guess it depends on what you are looking for ?

I agree with this. Newcastle will go up automatically whilst we will be lucky to be in the top 10. Their results don't interest me in the slightest. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, terrytini said:

I assume there is no fan on here who thinks we ought to win every game.  So we all accept we will lose games.

But, we cry, "this isn't 1 game, its been awful for years "  

In other words once the accepted idea of the 1st sentence is placed in our current context a defeat assumes distressing and bafflingly mystical proportions.

"Its a new team, how can we STILL be fragile " ?  "Only one 1 in 5 yet its all new stuff, how come ?"  

"need to lift the curse"

"Manager needs  to improve"

"Why do we fold second half  ?"

IMO it is more a question of the following ;

-some peoples unrealistically high expectations not being met that is the cause of the distress.  

- the illogical  - but understandable - conflation of the present and past Team/perfomance with the current  one,

- finally a third element, the fact that the players - however new -  are subject to the mental pressures brought about by the first two.

Taking the first one - (briefly, as I posted all the stats the other day) - the turn around required is right up there with the biggest by any Club.  To translate a record breakingly bad side into a Top 6 contender.  After I posted there were some saying that not to reach the Play-Offs would be a failure.  IMO they underestimate the size of the challenge, and results like this prove it.  If they underestimate the challenge, they will be overly upset when the challenge is not met.

Then the second - I have seen quite a few people say, in the same breath, that we "have only 1 win from 5" and "its different players but the same crap"

But that simply isn't true is it ? The 1 Win from 5 hasn't been with a new Team. Even today, we didn't field all the signings.  And todays side isn't the one that lost 1 of those 5, at Luton. Nor is it the one that lost at Sheffield. And it certainly isn't the one that "hasn't won away for X months"

This new side is entitled to lose - we have to expect them to lose - and it would be less 'inexplicable' if we saw it as that.

This side, todays side, this is their first bad defeat.  And as I said right at the top, bad defeats will happen, we all agree that.

So for me there is no mystery, no curse, no need to look at the Manager leaving, no reason to panic.

(We still clearly need 3/4 players but we all knew that)

We need to accept that the past seasons results and performances, and the players and Managers responsible for them, are gone, and hence nothing to do with what happens now (other than in terms of giving us a low base to start from and maybe adding to pressure in the mind of  players who are aware of those results).

We need to accept a winning side from where we were is not going to happen quickly, that our current side has barely even started, and that however good it is it will be a struggle to Win (and score) as often as we need to in order to get top half, (especially from the low base we started from, but anyway.)

And we need to give the Manager another 12/15 games before we judge whether he is progressing that task.  In those games we will perform well, win, lose, perform badly, and so on.  It will be the overall position that will matter.

Every Villa fan should be made to read this tonight before they go to bed, and again in the morning as soon as they wake up.

• Like 3

I will add a little something for those fearful of nightmares............the closest parallel to us, Sunderland (relegated with a dreadful record in 2006 but promoted as Champions in 2007) had 3 points after 5 games, and were one off bottom........................................:)

Edited by terrytini
  • Like 2

Too early to judge really. The last two seasons we got promoted from this league I don't think we started too well. In 74/75 I believe we won our last 8 matches. Its not how you begin its how you finish. 

I think we are all smarting but its a long way to go. If you want to be positive I would say in all 5 games played Villa still looked like they probably have the better players than the opposition- it is just we are yet to be consistent and organised enough yet.  I think that there is a still  a large drop off in quality from the prem to the championship and on paper at least we have a team good enough to be in contention of a play off spot.Wherever we do that is another question. I think we will have a stronger end to the season than the first half of it.

1 hour ago, useless said:

Huddersfield and Fulham won't be in the top two come the end of the season. Totally catchabblepable.

Wouldn't rule out Fulham.
They've signed two very solid players now in Ragnar Sigurdsson and Stefan Johansen.

13 hours ago, terrytini said:

I assume there is no fan on here who thinks we ought to win every game.  So we all accept we will lose games.

But, we cry, "this isn't 1 game, its been awful for years "  

In other words once the accepted idea of the 1st sentence is placed in our current context a defeat assumes distressing and bafflingly mystical proportions.

"Its a new team, how can we STILL be fragile " ?  "Only one 1 in 5 yet its all new stuff, how come ?"  

"need to lift the curse"

"Manager needs  to improve"

"Why do we fold second half  ?"

IMO it is more a question of the following ;

-some peoples unrealistically high expectations not being met that is the cause of the distress.  

- the illogical  - but understandable - conflation of the present and past Team/perfomance with the current  one,

- finally a third element, the fact that the players - however new -  are subject to the mental pressures brought about by the first two.

Taking the first one - (briefly, as I posted all the stats the other day) - the turn around required is right up there with the biggest by any Club.  To translate a record breakingly bad side into a Top 6 contender.  After I posted there were some saying that not to reach the Play-Offs would be a failure.  IMO they underestimate the size of the challenge, and results like this prove it.  If they underestimate the challenge, they will be overly upset when the challenge is not met.

Then the second - I have seen quite a few people say, in the same breath, that we "have only 1 win from 5" and "its different players but the same crap"

But that simply isn't true is it ? The 1 Win from 5 hasn't been with a new Team. Even today, we didn't field all the signings.  And todays side isn't the one that lost 1 of those 5, at Luton. Nor is it the one that lost at Sheffield. And it certainly isn't the one that "hasn't won away for X months"

This new side is entitled to lose - we have to expect them to lose - and it would be less 'inexplicable' if we saw it as that.

This side, todays side, this is their first bad defeat.  And as I said right at the top, bad defeats will happen, we all agree that.

So for me there is no mystery, no curse, no need to look at the Manager leaving, no reason to panic.

(We still clearly need 3/4 players but we all knew that)

We need to accept that the past seasons results and performances, and the players and Managers responsible for them, are gone, and hence nothing to do with what happens now (other than in terms of giving us a low base to start from and maybe adding to pressure in the mind of  players who are aware of those results).

We need to accept a winning side from where we were is not going to happen quickly, that our current side has barely even started, and that however good it is it will be a struggle to Win (and score) as often as we need to in order to get top half, (especially from the low base we started from, but anyway.)

And we need to give the Manager another 12/15 games before we judge whether he is progressing that task.  In those games we will perform well, win, lose, perform badly, and so on.  It will be the overall position that will matter.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

If we finish anywhere outside the top 6 RDM needs to be sacked, that would be competent unacceptable. I'd say he would have done worse than garde, Sherwood and lambert if that were to happen.

Couldn't disagree more. I'm staggered that Villa fans can think anything except top 6 is unacceptable after spending 5 years watching the club rot.

so much more than the first team squad needs to be fixed.

• Like 2

Â