Promotion 2016/7

Jareth

----------------------Gollini---------------

Richards--Elphwick--Baker/Okore----Amavi

--------------------Jedinak------------------------

-------------Tshibola----Morrison-----------

-----Ayew--------------------Grealish-----

----------------McCormack--------------

Reckon that team would be in with a shout.

19 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

----------------------Gollini---------------

Richards--Elphwick--Baker/Okore----Amavi

--------------------Jedinak------------------------

-------------Tshibola----Morrison-----------

-----Ayew--------------------Grealish-----

----------------McCormack--------------

Reckon that team would be in with a shout.

Not too keen on Gollini after yesterday...

Not starting him would be totally detrimental to us and him. 

He looked comfortably good enough for us, if we buy another keeper based on yesterday then I'll be annoyed at the management. 

To be fair, that kind of kicking error happens all the time to better keepers and is very rarely punished. 

Now if he pulls a Guzan and it happens often then we have an issue. Until then, I'm happy to put it down the bad luck. It was a shit backpass too IIRC. 

• Like 4

Just now, dont_do_it_doug. said:

To be fair, that kind of kicking error happens all the time to better keepers and is very rarely punished. 

Now if he pulls a Guzan and it happens often then we have an issue. Until then, I'm happy to put it down the bad luck. It was a shit backpass too IIRC. 

Also the sequence of events that followed was fluky as anything as well. 

It was an error, not a total clanger, that was punished because of luck. 

I'm very comfortable and confident with pierluigi in goal. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, IwishIwasalivein1982 said:

The mistake plus I only ever saw him punching the ball out instead of catching it. Maybe I'm just fed up with keepers after giving Guzan so much time

Madness. There was one ball especially that he really had no right to get to and I thought "Here we go again", but he came out and caught it while being fouled. Despite being fouled, managed to keep hold of it.

The team as a whole needs to move more. You can't play the ball back to your keeper 100 times a game and him not slice one of them.

Other than that I had supreme confidence in him. Forestieri had a chance not long before that where I genuinely fancied Gollini to win. It's been about 3 years since I felt that way about our keeper. 

Based on that one game he's big, brave, commanding and has cat like reactions. Was it also his kick that Rudy flicked on for McScoremack?

6 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Also the sequence of events that followed was fluky as anything as well. 

It was an error, not a total clanger, that was punished because of luck. 

I'm very comfortable and confident with pierluigi in goal. 

It was a pretty horrendous mistake to be fair - there's no harm in saying that and I'm sure he'd be the first to admit it himself. Yes it was unfortunate in the way that it was punished but the slice was one of the poorest kicks I've seen from a back pass that was pretty routine to deal and on his favoured side. He didn't look to be under too much pressure either so unsure why he looked quite as rushed as he did.

I would question why we felt the need to keep passing it back and forward to him as well to be fair. When he kicked long he seemed to hit Gestede on the majority of occasions and we were picking up quite a few second balls off him as well, including our best chance of the game. Wednesday were pressing so high up the pitch when he passed it out that it never seemed likely for us to get the ball out of our own half without going long anyway. I'm not trying to say this is his fault as they were clearly told to do this but for me it didn't really work.

Other than that though I agree. He had an excellent game, made a few top top saves and I'm more than comfortable with him in goal. At his age I'm excited by the potential he has to become a very very good goalkeeper. We may have to accept a few mistakes as part of his development but I feel its worth it as long as they don't become too regular an occurence. Even De Gea had his own issues at United when he first came so I'm more than happy to cut him some slack.

one thing I will say that was refreshing yesterday, except for a comical Wallace dive I think it was actually an honest game. If more teams like that it will be at least enjoyable to watch games of football

Fletcher and Elphick perfect example, full blooded and end of it both players shook each others hands even if Fletcher couldnt stay on

5 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I didn't see him punch the ball once but did see him catch it several times. 

Confirmation bias IMO. 

I thought he looked pretty solid all around. He made one error that stands out because of the scoreline, but all in all I was impressed. 

53 minutes ago, useless said:

I saw a stat, that last season both Burnley and Middlesbrough didn't get their first wins until four games into the season last year.

Boro won their 2nd game of season

Â