Promotion 2016/7

Jareth

That rather makes my point for me. The championship is a long season, and there are so many games with a lot of teams who are very similar ability wise, that things can change very fast.

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

Boro won their 2nd game of season

Burnley lost theirs and drew the other two i think. 

But they went on a run of like 10-15 games unbeaten. Are we capable of that? 

2 hours ago, KSV said:

Burnley lost theirs and drew the other two i think. 

But they went on a run of like 10-15 games unbeaten. Are we capable of that? 

In this league possibly. I mean we just faced a promotion candidate and looked the better team. Yes we lost but my point is many teams in this league are worse than they are. Our biggest issue is fitness as this is a long season but I think we can overcome that.

so with the transfers we are making (in and out), is it looking more likely that we can get promoted?

Also, everyone talking about Newcastle, but what are Norwich up to with their squad?

current Betfair odds to win Championship (not that it means anything really):

Newcastle - 4.33

Norwich - 4.5

Brighton - 9

Villa - 10

Sheffield Wed - 13

Edited by ender4

9 minutes ago, ender4 said:

so with the transfers we are making (in and out), is it looking more likely that we can get promoted?

Also, everyone talking about Newcastle, but what are Norwich up to with their squad?

Norwich seem about on par with us. They have hammered a team already this season and have played out a close fought match with Sheffield Wednesday. They drew against Wednesday similar to how we would have if the mistake hadn't happened. I think based on the season so far they are our rivals for promotion yet I think we are pulling away from everyone in regards to squad quality, that said we have seemingly tried to buy the league so in reality we should have the strongest squad. 

8 minutes ago, ender4 said:

current Betfair odds to win Championship (not that it means anything really):

Newcastle - 4.33

Norwich - 4.5

Brighton - 9

Villa - 10

Sheffield Wed - 13

With every player like Jedinak we sign, our chances improve. But what gave me huge hope was Saturday's game - I only saw the extended highlights but we are finally looking balanced, truth be told I didn't really recognise us. Sounds simple but if RDM gets a majority first 11, littered with captains, not tainted by last season, then there is no reason why they can't top the league. 

• Like 1

All things considered, with the signing of Chester and with Jedinak almost nailed on, we now have a team ready for promotion.

You add the loan of Bamford or similar to that (if it happens) and I would be quite disappointed to not go up this season. Whilst it can be rather judgemental, looking at the team Newcastle have put out the first two games on paper, I would say our first 11 is at a par if not better factoring in those two potential signings. All down to how the team evolves with RDM's vision but I have no qualms with the transfer policy so far.

Ultimately with each new signing (and each player leaving) we are getting a better team; no question on that. The more work on the squad done before 1st September the stronger we will be. Early days though and it is a long, gruelling season. Right now we look likely to fighting in the upper echelons of the League with potential of play offs. 1 or 2 more signings in/out and we could really get the promotion drive rolling. :)

It is frustrating the team we are forming now would have been far, far better than last season's and would at the very least have been fighting in the relegation battle rather than being the team that got a kicking every week.

3 minutes ago, Jareth said:

3 points off top spot and NUFC in the relegation places. Be nice if this was the case after Christmas. 

This league is a marathon more so than any other. 4 points from 9 isn't too bad seeing as we played a team who nearly went up last year and given Huddersfield start. 

The encouraging thing is that when we seem to click we look a bit unplayable and the points we have lost have been through individual errors with a slice of luck involved. That should even out over the course of the season, but then again, we do seem cursed by the football gods at times.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jonno_2004 said:

The encouraging thing is that when we seem to click we look a bit unplayable and the points we have lost have been through individual errors with a slice of luck involved. That should even out over the course of the season, but then again, we do seem cursed by the football gods at times.

we need a wicker man to end our misfortunes. I'll get the bees..

• Like 1

We can't keep saying "they're promotion candidates" though. This applies to about half the division. 

Oh look, we play Derby on Saturday and guess what they are another "promotion candidate".

I think Norwich are quite obviously the best team in the league. Good up top and not bottle jobs like us. 

4 minutes ago, Holtern8 said:

We can't keep saying "they're promotion candidates" though. This applies to about half the division. 

Oh look, we play Derby on Saturday and guess what they are another "promotion candidate".

I think Norwich are quite obviously the best team in the league. Good up top and not bottle jobs like us. 

I think it's way to early to state Norwich are best side in league

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

I think it's way to early to state Norwich are best side in league

its not really, they have bulk of squad that went up last time and players like Hoolahan, Tettey, Brady, Naismith even Jerome are all really comfortable at this level

Just now, Zatman said:

its not really, they have bulk of squad that went up last time and players like Hoolahan, Tettey, Brady, Naismith even Jerome are all really comfortable at this level

It's three games in, form changes. I actually think Newcastle are best team in the league if going by squads. 10 games will give us a clear picture who is best team in the league.

Way too soon to panic especially seeing as we are still pretty active in rebuilding the squad. 

Obviously we need to be nearer a 2 points per game average to win/get automatic promotion. There's over 40 games left though we just need to do enough between now and the transfer window closing to not leave us to much to do to compete at the top end of the league. 

Â