Promotion 2016/7

Jareth

I just don't get why Newcastle are all the pundits favourites to walk this league and yet we are so unfancied.  Getting a bit fed up of the Geordie Love in on the radio to be honest.  What/who  have Newcastle got that is so much better than us in reality??   People even seem to think Wolves will do better than us!

8 minutes ago, Hev said:

I just don't get why Newcastle are all the pundits favourites to walk this league and yet we are so unfancied.  Getting a bit fed up of the Geordie Love in on the radio to be honest.  What/who  have Newcastle got that is so much better than us in reality??   People even seem to think Wolves will do better than us!

I like it - puts less pressure on the team.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Hev said:

Who cares what others think or say, ultimately it's what we do that affects us.

Let em keep wagging their tongues, heaping the pressure on those highly regarded to perform.  We'll quietly go about our business and do what we do.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Hev said:

Its better for us, all the pressure is on Newcastle, no one expects us to do anything therefore less pressure. I know which boat i would rather be in. 1st or 2nd i don't really care as long as we go back up. 

We also haven't had that great of a start to the season. Winning one in five isn't great, especially when looking at who we've played. If we fail to beat Bristol City, then it will start looking like a poor start to the season.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, terrytini said:

Because if we go up it will be one of the most remarkable turnarounds for many years.

We weren't just relegated, we were obliterated, lock, stock, and barrel. Managers, players, Owner - a catastrophe everywhere.  And it wasn't just a poor season was it ?  It was the rightful culmination of years of neglect.

And look at the finish comparison between us and Newcastle....

After Valentines day (so the final third of the season), Newcastles record was that of a typical relegation fodder side. Played 12, W 3 D 3 L 6, Scored 17, Conceded 16. ( But  Unbeaten in their last 6).

We played 13, Won 0, Drew 1, Lost 12, Scored 7 (!), Conceded 36 (!!)........so whilst they were getting relegated, we were sinking without trace.

Then we need a new Manager, they keep the guy that gave them that good ending.

And we need to transform that record into Scoring 60/70 goals and conceding 30/40. That is a HUGE turnaround.

And remember last year how quickly we found out the difficulties of integrating a lot of new players ? Well here we are again. (I know it isn't the same, there is clearly form and planning going into building an actual team).

I think Tony and RDM (and back up) look like they are doing a very good job of turning all that around, he certainly now has the weapons at his disposal, but getting that ground back isn't easy. To suggest we should be level with Newcastle in the Odds, given that backstory, is very, very optimistic (to say the least).

And in doing so it sort of adds pressure to RDM - if we 'should' be thought of as on a par with them then it effectively lessens his achievement if we manage it.

I think it far fairer and more realistic to say we now have a fighting chance, because of the good work done, in mounting a challenge.  But it will still take a lot to fall into place.  Whereas Newcastle should be leading the challenge.

(Put it another way, if I was a Newcastle fan, and we manage to catch them or get close, I'd be wanting to know what had gone wrong !  And as a Villa fan I'd be absolutely thrilled - I wouldn't be saying "well we were on a par so its no big deal ")).

When you look at this reasoned argument, I can understand and appreciate it a lot more.   I guess I just get sick of the constant Newcastle and Rafa Lovefest but yes, I fully see what you are saying here.

I hope we go up and Middlesborough stay up, we have unfinished business with them. I remember them always stealing our players and getting "glamorous" names we were linked with. Also, more importantly I have a couple of smug Middlesborough supporting mates (as well as girlfriend) and can't wait to dish them out a hiding!

53 minutes ago, Hev said:

When you look at this reasoned argument, I can understand and appreciate it a lot more.   I guess I just get sick of the constant Newcastle and Rafa Lovefest but yes, I fully see what you are saying here.

Glad to be of Service :)

And I wouldn't worry about the Rafa/Geordie Love fest - it just makes it all the more fun when it turns out he wasn't the new messiah after all !;) (again)

Edited by terrytini

4 hours ago, terrytini said:

Because if we go up it will be one of the most remarkable turnarounds for many years.

We weren't just relegated, we were obliterated, lock, stock, and barrel. Managers, players, Owner - a catastrophe everywhere.  And it wasn't just a poor season was it ?  It was the rightful culmination of years of neglect.

And look at the finish comparison between us and Newcastle....

After Valentines day (so the final third of the season), Newcastles record was that of a typical relegation fodder side. Played 12, W 3 D 3 L 6, Scored 17, Conceded 16. ( But  Unbeaten in their last 6).

We played 13, Won 0, Drew 1, Lost 12, Scored 7 (!), Conceded 36 (!!)........so whilst they were getting relegated, we were sinking without trace.

Then we need a new Manager, they keep the guy that gave them that good ending.

And we need to transform that record into Scoring 60/70 goals and conceding 30/40. That is a HUGE turnaround.

And remember last year how quickly we found out the difficulties of integrating a lot of new players ? Well here we are again. (I know it isn't the same, there is clearly form and planning going into building an actual team).

I think Tony and RDM (and back up) look like they are doing a very good job of turning all that around, he certainly now has the weapons at his disposal, but getting that ground back isn't easy. To suggest we should be level with Newcastle in the Odds, given that backstory, is very, very optimistic (to say the least).

And in doing so it sort of adds pressure to RDM - if we 'should' be thought of as on a par with them then it effectively lessens his achievement if we manage it.

I think it far fairer and more realistic to say we now have a fighting chance, because of the good work done, in mounting a challenge.  But it will still take a lot to fall into place.  Whereas Newcastle should be leading the challenge.

(Put it another way, if I was a Newcastle fan, and we manage to catch them or get close, I'd be wanting to know what had gone wrong !  And as a Villa fan I'd be absolutely thrilled - I wouldn't be saying "well we were on a par so its no big deal ")).

:clap:

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I hope we go up and Middlesborough stay up, we have unfinished business with them. I remember them always stealing our players and getting "glamorous" names we were linked with. Also, more importantly I have a couple of smug Middlesborough supporting mates (as well as girlfriend) and can't wait to dish them out a hiding!

If I had a GF who was a Riversider, I'd restrict at least 2" untill we were back in PL

4 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

im pretty sure we are even now with Boro since we gave them Guzan

• Like 1

On 25/08/2016 at 09:19, useless said:

We also haven't had that great of a start to the season. Winning one in five isn't great, especially when looking at who we've played. If we fail to beat Bristol City, then it will start looking like a poor start to the season.

A very poor start to the season, and not good enough. Four points from play offs, six points from automatic promotion, and that's after having a pretty easy start. Not good to lose going into an international break

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

Â