Promotion 2016/7

Jareth

So season commencing today and already a lot more positivity! So far then we've had:

4 Ins - Gollini, Elphick, Tshibola, McCormack

8 Outs - Richardson, N'Zogbia, Crespo, Clark, Gana, Gil (loan), Guzan, Sinclair.

Plus 3 more bids (Jedinak, Morrison, Wells?) and Lescott being told to f*** off (even if Leeds don't want him), squad is already looking a lot better. 

If we could get rid of Richards and Gabby would be excellent. The we have 7 or 8 players in (according to the good Doctor), meaning a total of 11/12 in?! Whilst maybe some concerns that the squad doesn't know each other and a lot of upheaval like last season, there are 2 key differences: 
1. Better management; and
2. Better attitude.

What is clear that each of the signings come across as professionals, wanting to play better football and want to play for the shirt. If the other signings are of similar mentality then I think we are well into having an excellent team, one that should be challenging at the upper echelons of the league!

Now watch us lose to Wednesday... 

:rolleyes:

If today was any indicator of the opposition quality in the Championship all we need to do is add a RB and CM, put pressure higher up and have the balls to play the players at the club with better technique and ball control (Grealish, Adama, Green...) rather than the "safer" defensive ones like Bacuna.

Westy, Gestede, Gardner Hutton, Cissokho and Bacuna were all awful and we still dominated them in the second half. Yeah we lost, but that was because we tried to play it too safe.

Hope Di Matteo learned a lot about the team today.

• Like 4

If Wednesday is the best this league has to offer we should be in the mix i think. they were very lucky and you can tell by their celebrations that they knew they were lucky and won it for them. we haven't even signed all our players yet and they struggled to beat us. i think we have  a chance. fro me next two league games will show if we are serious or not as both winnable home games

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

If Wednesday is the best this league has to offer we should be in the mix i think. they were very lucky and you can tell by their celebrations that they knew they were lucky and won it for them. we haven't even signed all our players yet and they struggled to beat us. i think we have  a chance. 

Agree with this. We've definitely got the quality to do some damage in this division, it's a massive step down from the prem. 

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

Agree with this. We've definitely got the quality to do some damage in this division, it's a massive step down from the prem. 

Just about to post something similar.  Sitting here thinking about Adama and Amavi being close to returning.   Then perhaps add Morrison, Jedinak and one or two more.  I think we would be close to having a team that could rip up this championship IF we can get them playing as a team in a system that maxmises the talent we have.  We are going to be very exciting to watch this year.

Edited by Gary Thomas

Wednesday aren't the best this league has to offer, they finished sixth last season, fifteen points from automatic promotion. The season before last Ipswich finished sixth.Still away to them first game of the season is a tough start and we can take a lot of positives from our performance, and I think we'll be there or thereabouts come the end of season.

17 minutes ago, useless said:

Wednesday aren't the best this league has to offer, they finished sixth last season, fifteen points from automatic promotion. The season before last Ipswich finished sixth.Still away to them first game of the season is a tough start and we can take a lot of positives from our performance, and I think we'll be there or thereabouts come the end of season.

mate they are up there with brighton and derby as best teams barring the relegated sides

Not saying they aren't decent, I'm sure they will be there or thereabouts come the end of the season. Just that they aren't as good as people are making out. Certainly not the best that this division has to offer, we'll face tougher challenges.

7 minutes ago, useless said:

Not saying they aren't decent, I'm sure they will be there or thereabouts come the end of the season. Just that they aren't as good as people are making out. Certainly not the best that this division has to offer, we'll face tougher challenges.

That's hard to know at this stage, so I think "certainly" is the wrong word to use. I think there are going to be 6-8 teams vying for the top spots and who the 'best' are is still very much uncertain. 

They won 17 and lost 2 games at home last season. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, useless said:

We wont go to grounds that are much tougher than that, wednesday home form is excellent and we can be proud hoe we played. I bet they thought they would steam roller us and they didnt at all. I fancy us to batter them at Villa Park 

We need to sort out our midfield. It's blatantly obvious. We won't make a dent in this league if we stick with what we have. Jedinak and Morrison would be a statement of intent. I'm not fussed about Hernandez, that's not the problem for us. I think we are well equipped to score goals. I just think we get overrun in midfield and dominated far too easily. No intelligence on the ball.

21 hours ago, cyrusr said:

If we could get rid of Richards and Gabby would be excellent. The we have 7 or 8 players in (according to the good Doctor), meaning a total of 11/12 in?!

I think he meant 7-8 players coming in total, not another 7-8.

so 3 or 4 more now.

15 minutes ago, Jareth said:

3 games in 7 days starting on saturday - get a couple of wins and add one or two players and we'll be set up for the season ahead. 

or lose 2 out of the 3, confidence drops, and we limp along...    

Could go either way i think.   The first 3 games are so important to build that confidence.

1 minute ago, ender4 said:

or lose 2 out of the 3, confidence drops, and we limp along...    

Could go either way i think.   The first 3 games are so important to build that confidence.

Or lose 2 of the next 3, win the next 6 and find ourselves top of the table. 

I feel like we as fans need to clear the decks too and focus our energy on staying positive and backing the team. Let's not undervalue ourselves, make **** loads of noise and give them the best possible shot. 

• Like 3

I personally think the fact we have so many games is a good thing. Can help create momentum if we are winning and equally if we are losing it's "forget about it and quickly move on"

It's what we need at this stage to sort the crazy mentality out.

• Like 3

Â