Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

6 hours ago, macandally said:

Underwhelmed by this, nothing against RDM but uninspiring appointment.

We need a new culture and style of play implementing from the ground up, Martinez, Rogers would have had us playing football, Moyes would have had us gritty and hard to beat, what does RDM bring?

We seemingly keep lurching from one short term gamble to another with no long term vision.  If Tony Xia has real wealth, get a decent manager in and build a platform for the future as parachute payments are not the be all and end all!

Ok firstly moyes rejected us so he is out of the question.

Martinez may play attacking football but whats the point of having him if we need to score 5 goals every week to win a game as we will concede goals galore under him with his poor defensive record.

Don't know if you have seen butRodgers had gone celtic? Therefore i don't think Xia has done a bad job getting RDM 

A part of me would have liked to have seen Rowett or even Warburton over Di Matteo. But Robbie is hardly a decision to upset about. We're a Championship club now, so we're hardly going to be having top quality managers queuing out the door for us.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

4 hours ago, calcifer said:

Managerial appointments are like marmite you either love them or hate them!

Not me. I always reserve judgement until I see what they actually do. Totally neutral on RDM - as I would have been with Moyes or Pearson.

• Like 1

I think bickering about opinions is pointless.

none of us really knows what a good manager is or what it takes to be one, we are jaded by a long standing series of uninspiring managers at this great club of ours.

but you look back and think things like

would lambert have done any better if he had more money/backing

was anything good that came from the houllier reign down to him or Gary Mac?

could remi have done better if he was given more time and some actual money for new players?

would sherwood have done any worse than remi and black.

now not saying I agree with any of the above statements but even in the Lerner period there is a lot to debate about our own managers.

we just need to chill and hope that RDM is the right man at the right time for us. As success for any manager at any club is wafer thin.

only manager I have seen really blossom and earn deserved respect and praise is pochettino from saints to Spurs. If you look at Ranieri most of his career has been either sublime or awful with very little in between. Then he went to Leicester and the gods and erm monks it seems smiled on him. But as someone has already pointed out if Leicester start throwing money about on big egos and start to believe their own hype then things could easily go wrong. That team's success is based partly on hard work, humility and team ethic. Something which is fragile in football.

i am more worried that any manager at villa has to come in ship out the players who are crap or want to leave, convince some to stay. Get in an entirely new backbone of players and staff then integrate all of them in under a month.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Woodytom said:

Genuinely buzzing for next season now. I have to hold my hands up and say, the departure of randy Lerner has made a big difference in my attitude. I was well aware of it being his time to go for a couple of years but I prolonged in minimising the blame I threw his way. I was wrong.

This is a new era and I can't wait. Going to attend the most matches I've ever attended so if you come across an extremely good looking bald bloke talking utter drivel, it's probably Woodytom. 

Just driving back from the gym and life of Riley was blaring out. I suddenly love football again. UTV

Alright lads, who hacked Woodytom's account? :detect:

• Like 3

15 hours ago, SirSteveUK said:

"Roberto di Matteo's Claret & Blue Army "  ???

Holte Enders will be knackered after singing the 1st  line...

You don't need the Roberto.

'Di Matteo's claret and blue army' scans fine ;)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

You don't need the Roberto.

'Di Matteo's claret and blue army' scans fine ;)

The rate we get through managers we should just shout 'Claret and Blue Army' 

28 minutes ago, hippo said:

The rate we get through managers we should just shout 'Claret and Blue Army' 

"insert manager's name here Claret and Blue Army!"

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Nothing will ever top "Big Fat Ron's..."

Agreed although Di Matteo could really endear himself to us by putting on 4 stone over the summer so we then have "Big Fat Bobs Claret and Blue Army"

• Like 2