Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

1 hour ago, AntrimBlack said:

Yes. All the talk of where we are aiming for, and we get Di Matteo. Very uninspiring. Makes me wonder what our ambitions actually are.

I think it says more about our current attractiveness rather than our future ambitions.  Which sort of top Manager would we have needed to get for to think we were ambitious ?  Top Managers don't come to ruined Clubs in the Championship every day !

13 minutes ago, Kingman said:

Even with a new owner,

Having had Lerner stuck to us like shit on a blanket for years, it has taken its toll on new found levels of acceptance. 

Bit like coming out of a shit relationship and everyone saying "you could do better than that" 

You think you've got a love boat but she's just a **** tug boat :crylaugh:

And yet you don't offer a list of alternative candidates that you'd prefer and the reasons why.

13 minutes ago, Ginko said:

And yet you don't offer a list of alternative candidates that you'd prefer and the reasons why.

Oh No, Not you again!.. Ive seen to much. 

k55n2c1.gif

Edited by Kingman

13 hours ago, villa4europe said:

think its a mixture of derby being better suited to that league and our collection of billy big bollocks who didnt care as they cruised to relegation arent going to suddenly start caring now, hopefully by the end of the season we'll be in a better position but right now id take their squad over ours going in to the championship

thats why i think derby is an easier job

Who from the Derby squad would you like us to sign? I must admit I don't know much about the Championship team.

Who from the Derby squad would you like us to sign? I must admit I don't know much about the Championship team.

Don't know tbh, they have several journeymen who have made entire careers from that level, shackell, keogh, Thorne etc a few of them like Johnson and then obviously bent, wiemann, ince have played in the prem and then found their level

In our current squad we have Sinclair who spent some years there on loan as a kid and rudy

They need 1/2 players just to give them that push over the line, they then have the problem that their squad won't be good enough for the prem but for next season they need a bit of cosmetic surgery

We have the problem that we've got a squad that won't want to there let alone not be good enough of mentally suited to it, we need 6/7 players to turn the ship around, probably more, we need life saving surgery

23 minutes ago, roadoftrinity said:

Will Hughes is the obvious one. Assuming he doesn't go to the Premier League next season I think we should really push the boat out to sign him. He's a very good player who, at Championship level, will dictate games. He's still young so has plenty of upside.

With Newcastle linked to him there's really no reason why we shouldn't be able to sign him.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

I think it was a jest in connection with Chapter 1278 of how Jose is going to be Man United Manager.  (Where Skys intrepid reporters said image rights was the hold up)

You know, the only football related event that has happened since the season ended.

Edited by terrytini
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, terrytini said:

I think it was a jest in connection with Chapter 1278 of how Jose is going to be Man United Manager.  (Where Skys intrepid reporters said image rights was the hold up)

You know, the only football related event that has happened since the season ended.

Ah I see, thanks for explaining. 

It must be the only football related event as the other day when I checked the sky sports app, there were 15 articles all about Mourinho. Not one about the glorious Aston Villa! Pfft what do Sky know anyway.

5 hours ago, Kingman said:

TBH I said the same thing about 6 days ago, 

All the noises our new owner has been making about going to do this, going to do that etc. 

I assumed they had bigger fish to fry than RDM. 

Oh Well you know what they say about assumption, Its the mother of all **** ups! 

The problem is though king an we are a championship club now so we are aiming lower, although I think RDM is a very good appointment based on where currently are as a club.

8 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

Well the first thing Bobby needs to do is reinstate Stan Petrov into the squad and hand him back the captains armband. Be a big start to inject some leadership and positive presence into the squad.

I think we have to be realistic.  Petrov is in his mid  30's and has  been out the game for a long time.  He might not have the legs or  ability to be a first team regular,  so can't warrant the captain's armband.  However I would have him as club captain over flabby in a heartbeat.    

pity about Pearson felt he was the perfect choice, Derby for me should be favourites go up with Newcastle

on another note I expect Darren Bent wont be happy with that appointment

• Like 1

4 hours ago, terrytini said:

I think it says more about our current attractiveness rather than our future ambitions.  Which sort of top Manager would we have needed to get for to think we were ambitious ?  Top Managers don't come to ruined Clubs in the Championship every day !

True, Terry. Money, though, that can do it, especially if it seems that a new owner will be splashing the cash. And I was not thinking of a top manager, just someone a bit more inspiring. My aspirations were raised by the new owner's claims. :D

1 hour ago, Made In Aston said:

I think we have to be realistic.  Petrov is in his mid  30's and has  been out the game for a long time.  He might not have the legs or  ability to be a first team regular,  so can't warrant the captain's armband.  However I would have him as club captain over flabby in a heartbeat.    

We need to be more professional, and have our hearts ruled by our heads.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ginko said:

Where we are aiming for is very much in the future.

We are about to become a Championship club. I don't know why some people struggle to understand this. Getting a Champions League and Championship promotion winning manager to manage us in England's second tier is about the best we can hope for. It's a lot better than what we could expect up until a few weeks ago. I'll be pleased as punch if we get RDM in. I can't think of any other realistic targets since Moyes ruled himself out who I'd prefer.

There's ambition and then there's reality. Prospective managers will listen to the former but make the majority of their decision based on the latter. I really don't know what some fans expect.

I blame the new owner. He has raised my expectations to unrealistic levels. :)

I think if you look very carefully at what Dr Tony has said, he has emphasised the prime importance of getting back into the premier league. I think I recall correctly that he went quite close to saying it's his only concern right now.

That is the only thing he's said that I like so far. All the other unrealistic bollocks about top 3 clubs in the world/Aston theme park etc.was ill-advised and irritating (because we can remember the similar stuff Lerner was spouting at the start of his regime).

I actually think Di Matteo or whoever takes the job will be under immense pressure to get promotion quickly and we may see one or more managerial heads rolling before too long if we don't start to make quick progress towards promotion.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AntrimBlack said:

True, Terry. Money, though, that can do it, especially if it seems that a new owner will be splashing the cash. And I was not thinking of a top manager, just someone a bit more inspiring. My aspirations were raised by the new owner's claims:D

Aye, he's raised mine too - bring back Lerner it was easier having no hope !

• Like 2

if anybody can name me a manager that was attainable, that has been more successful than RDM il be shocked.

I when I say that I mean, overall. So, some people will wrongly believe david moyes' achievements are better. Even if they are (which they aren't), they were attained over a period of time considerably longer than RDM.