Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

15 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

Yes, they stopped making the game "grasping at straws" in 1957.

Damn, I have always been so GOOD at it. !!!!   Actually. come to think of it.  Being good at "grasping at straws" might be a pre-requisite for Villa supporters.

Edited by srsmithusa
better idea
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, mykeyb said:

Your judgement on Pearson will be proved correct or otherwise next season ......

I am calm. There are better team builders and motivators in the football world than Nigel Pearson. Claudio Ranieri is one.

I have to admit that Pearson's selection of Chris Powell and Kevin Phillips to work alongside him looks good to me. But that bird has flown and we now have just one candidate still standing rather than three as far as I am aware? Given that why are we still dithering? We need a new manager and we need the right manager. If the decision has been made that RDM is that man let him get working on bringing in players and shifting players out without any further delay because time is not on our side!    

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, John said:

I have to admit that Pearson's selection of Chris Powell and Kevin Phillips to work alongside him looks good to me. But that bird has flown and we now have just one candidate still standing rather than three as far as I am aware? Given that why are we still dithering? We need a new manager and we need the right manager. If the decision has been made that RDM is that man let him get working on bringing in players and shifting players out without any further delay because time is not on our side!    

2 owners having to agree is my thought.  Lerner as usual messing things up

4 hours ago, Richard said:

We have been engaged in a meaningful fight for the last five seasons , against relegation 

Indeed.

A nice meaningful fight then, the sort we originally started watching for, if memory serves correctly, its been so long.

45 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Not necessarily, Derby have a squad that should be getting promoted, not having this "if Derby finish above us hen we made the wrong choice" their squad is ahead of us right now, they should be finishing ahead of us, Pearson has a far far easier job

In a typical villa fashion there will be plenty of fans almost waiting for RDM to fail just so they can say i told you so

I'm not disputing that the Derby squad might be better then ours, I'm just wondering should it be, we have quite a few internationals and former internationals in the squad, what's happened to them collectively as a group to make them so bad?

surely on paper the Villa squad is better? 

46 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Not necessarily, Derby have a squad that should be getting promoted, not having this "if Derby finish above us hen we made the wrong choice" their squad is ahead of us right now, they should be finishing ahead of us, Pearson has a far far easier job

In a typical villa fashion there will be plenty of fans almost waiting for RDM to fail just so they can say i told you so

I really don't think so.  You could argue plenty will jump at the chance the other way around, if Derby falter, just as easily....but I doubt anyone will care.  people had their views on Pearson, some vehemently against, some less so, quite a few mildly pro, and a couple fervently so - that's all to be expected but its yesterdays news now, I cant think anyone will be daft enough, or care enough, to think "If ABC has happened then that means XYZ would have happened if we had him and they had our guy, etc"  - I think we will have more than enough to either be cheering about or crying about ....

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

I'm not disputing that the Derby squad might be better then ours, I'm just wondering should it be, we have quite a few internationals and former internationals in the squad, what's happened to them collectively as a group to make them so bad?

surely on paper the Villa squad is better? 

think its a mixture of derby being better suited to that league and our collection of billy big bollocks who didnt care as they cruised to relegation arent going to suddenly start caring now, hopefully by the end of the season we'll be in a better position but right now id take their squad over ours going in to the championship

thats why i think derby is an easier job

I'm not convinced anyone should be finishing above us. Newcastle perhaps. That may sound bullish, but the quality of the championship is often overstated in my opinion.

2 minutes ago, PompeyVillan said:

I'm not convinced anyone should be finishing above us. Newcastle perhaps. That may sound bullish, but the quality of the championship is often overstated in my opinion.

To early too make predictions to. Don't know what may happen with squads. Newcastle with Benitez is tough to crack even if they lose a few players but I think we can be challenging them all.

More importantly I think Di Matteo will be under immense pressure from Dr Tony. Looking at his statements about the importance of getting promoted quickly out of the Championship, I reckon RDM could be toast by Christmas if he is not seen to be making enough progress.

37 minutes ago, NoelVilla said:

To early too make predictions to. Don't know what may happen with squads. Newcastle with Benitez is tough to crack even if they lose a few players but I think we can be challenging them all.

We get our act together then it's 2 premiership teams battling it out for promotion. There will be one or two other teams who would be naturally going for top spot too, so we could easily come in fourth, but play-offs I think is deffo on the card as a minimum - then it's a cup compo so anything could happen. We'll get back up, eventually. 

1 hour ago, HeyAnty said:

2 owners having to agree is my thought.  Lerner as usual messing things up

It's doubtful. Even I think Lerner has finally washed his hands of us, and we of him. 

There is still a process, however, which will be delaying all decisions. Possibly and crucially in the mind of RDM.