Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

14 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I think it's still WAY too early for talk of promotion by the way. There's a LOT of work that needs to be done first. Our squad is a joke.

Would agree with you DDID, but with an injection of money and a complete overall, we may at least be competitive again.  I just hope RDM doesn't wish to assess the squad during pre season first and he has already done some homework.  Big job, but not impossible.  RDM's first 2/3 signings will be the most interesting I think and will show where we hope to be.  I would like his first signing to be our new captain, just not sure who? 

Edited by ferguson1

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

How embarrassing will it be and where will we stand if tomorrow's news is Di Matteo turns us down.

It is very much a "what if?" that I do not really see happening but if it did who would be our next cab off the rank?

Rowett? Hughton? Bruce? Someone who has not managed on the dark side of the city?   

8 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

How embarrassing will it be and where will we stand if tomorrow's news is Di Matteo turns us down.

If he turns us down i will eat my own hands. 

He needs us more than we need him. 

Still amazed it's took them months of searching and he's the best they could find.

Oh well it's only a game I hear!

Edited by Kingman
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Kingman said:

Still amazed it's took them months of searching and he's the best they could find.

Hate when people say that. We know its just a game... but we are passionate.. so f*$% off. (Not at you obviously Kingman)

Edited by KSV

If he turns us down (which I would be very surprised) we move on. Given the issues of ownership I think we weren't not looking at those in a job already and as such having to pay compensation etc. IF RDM did turn us down, then I reckon we will probably open up search range and consider Rowett, McCarthy, Bruce (if Hull don't win today), Martinez (I know he isn't in a job but wasn't available before) plus whoever. There are still plenty of options that can do the first stage which is promotion. It would be better if the manager can stay as long as possible but it's not mandatory. That's why RDM has been chosen, because he has the experience of it all and knows what is expected/needed to be done. 

Besides all discussions of what if RDM turns us down will be pretty academic anyway. It looks a good fit from an "outside the discussions" perspective (like Moyes and Pearson) so probably is only issues about his image rights that are holding things up...

8 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

From tomorrow we have ten weeks to make enough repair to this football club before the new season is upon us.

Last season we were back in training on the 5th July - that means we have about six weeks to let players go, move players on, persuade players to stay, find new players, get a manager, get a staff to go with that manager, finalise our owner, revamp our staffing department, announce our new kit release date, appoint our board and figure out exactly how we want to behave as a football club in a new league.

Tick tock.

It's going to be a very very long season

2 hours ago, Kingman said:

Hmm don't know about everyone else but 6 weeks ago I would have never imagine di Matteo as our manager.

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Hmm don't know about everyone else but 6 weeks ago I would have never imagine di Matteo as our manager.

TBH I said the same thing about 6 days ago, 

All the noises our new owner has been making about going to do this, going to do that etc. 

I assumed they had bigger fish to fry than RDM. 

Oh Well you know what they say about assumption, Its the mother of all **** ups! 

Edited by Kingman

17 minutes ago, Kingman said:

TBH I said the same thing about 6 days ago, 

All the noises our new owner has been making about going doing to this, going to do that etc. 

I assumed they had bigger fish to fry than RDM. 

Oh Well you know what they say about assumption, Its the mother of all **** ups! 

Yes. All the talk of where we are aiming for, and we get Di Matteo. Very uninspiring. Makes me wonder what our ambitions actually are.

23 minutes ago, Ginko said:

Where we are aiming for is very much in the future.

We are about to become a Championship club. I don't know why some people struggle to understand this. Getting a Champions League and Championship promotion winning manager to manage us in England's second tier is about the best we can hope for. It's a lot better than what we could expect up until a few weeks ago. I'll be pleased as punch if we get RDM in. I can't think of any other realistic targets since Moyes ruled himself out who I'd prefer.

There's ambition and then there's reality. Prospective managers will listen to the former but make the majority of their decision based on the latter. I really don't know what some fans expect.

Fully agree with this.

Seriously what are some of you thinking, who could we get? We are a championship club now. 

RDM could even be seen as a coup for us. In his short managerial career he has achieved more then all of the other realistic targets, he will have good contacts throughout the game, I honestly think this is a very smart appointment on many levels. 

Last season in the top flight we had Sherwood and Garde as our  mangers... Hardly big names and have won bugger all.  This year we may have a Champion's league, FA Cup winner and championship runner up in charge when we are not even  in the top tier.  That's progress,  so be thankful. ;)

• Like 3

Even with a new owner,

Having had Lerner stuck to us like shit on a blanket for years, it has taken its toll on new found levels of acceptance. 

Bit like coming out of a shit relationship and everyone saying "Next time you could do better than that" 

Through desperation you settle for the first one that comes along, Thinking you've got a love boat but she's just a **** tug boat :crylaugh:

Edited by Kingman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ginko said:

Where we are aiming for is very much in the future.

We are about to become a Championship club. I don't know why some people struggle to understand this. Getting a Champions League and Championship promotion winning manager to manage us in England's second tier is about the best we can hope for. It's a lot better than what we could expect up until a few weeks ago. I'll be pleased as punch if we get RDM in. I can't think of any other realistic targets since Moyes ruled himself out who I'd prefer.

There's ambition and then there's reality. Prospective managers will listen to the former but make the majority of their decision based on the latter. I really don't know what some fans expect.

La La La La Ginkgo is talking but I'm not listening. All we need is to offer Pep Guardiola £20 squillion quid and he can take us from last seasons respectable 6th place in the PL to next seasons champions. I don't understand all this talk about playing next season in The Aston Villa founded football league.