Keinan Davis

a-k

27 minutes ago, Genie said:

He just doesn't have the clinical instinct.

The first one over the top (when he was offside) I was screaming at the TV, he waits and waits, lets it bounce, then he's still waiting for something. I'm screaming HIT THE BLOODY BALL.

The backpost header, not even on target.

The ball across from El Ghazi where he was a yard too slow to poke it into an empty goal.

Its frustrating to watch because he's doing the job of being a nuisance very well, and this makes things happen. He's just not the man to put them in the net consistently. He might work much better as part of a 2 man strikeforce.

I think he gets closed down too easily on his own, a bit predictable......needs a partner.

but I agree he does all the ugly stuff well.....I think its a feature of our squad, players who can do some things, and not others....too limited.......too many not good enough overall.

Edited by TRO

8 minutes ago, sne said:

That one was such a perfect example of why he isn't a natural scorer or poacher.

He does a lot of things well and is certainly a nuisance to the opponents but the anticipation and instinct of a scorer he has not.

That run, as an ex Inzaghi type attacker it was frustrating to watch :D 

I don't disagree but he is also creating space for others the way he bulldozes past defenders.

Players around him need to take more advantage of that and get closer to him!

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Genie said:

The first one over the top (when he was offside) I was screaming at the TV, he waits and waits, lets it bounce, then he's still waiting for something. I'm screaming HIT THE BLOODY BALL.

The ball across from El Ghazi where he was a yard too slow to poke it into an empty goal.

Its frustrating to watch because he's doing the job of being a nuisance very well, and this makes things happen. He's just not the man to put them in the net consistently. He might work much better as part of a 2 man strikeforce.

Very much agree with the last paragraph. He definitely causes problems, Sheff Utd defence struggled with him as have Man City in two cameos this season. Think he works best not as the focal point though, remember him looking v good alongside Kodjia for a spell under Bruce - Barnsley away springs to mind. 

14 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He was up against one of the best defences in the league. If he plays like that every game he will eventually bang some goals in. Samatta looked pretty useless when he came on so we need Davis to stay fit and play his part. 

Davis makes a poor/average  team good, Sammata needs to be in a good team, we were disjoined instantly when Davis came off

2 minutes ago, penguin said:

https://www.skysports.com/football/a-villa-vs-sheff-utd/report/408251

The squared ball is at 1:30.

Watching it again I think it’s harsh to hold against Davis. He’s staying onside before Grealish releases and breaks into a sprint once it’s played to El Ghazi who just puts too much pace on the cross.

I too think the cross was a tad too heavy.

Edited by TRO

He's actually got the lot apart from scoring goals. Which means he's a pretty useless striker. Might work with a Michael Owen type striker next to him.

He played well tho, He unsettled the sheffield united defence and I hope he proves me wrong and bangs some goals in

45 minutes ago, Genie said:

Its frustrating to watch because he's doing the job of being a nuisance very well, and this makes things happen. He's just not the man to put them in the net consistently. He might work much better as part of a 2 man strikeforce.

This is what I have been saying in the Davis thread for ages, well before lockdown.  He never looks like scoring.  He had a superb game yesterday for him but at no point did I think he would score because it's not him.  Yes their goalkeeper played well but game after game he never looks like scoring in his career.  Yes I want him to play in the next set of games but you have to have somebody around him that will take advantage of his other skills, so we need to play him with Samatta because Davis wont score goals and players around Davis arent running off him or utilising him enough to score goals for themselves.

Long term, this lack of goals is going to be the determent to the level for which Davis plays at.

Just to re-iterate though, I thought he played really really well last night just frustratingly never looks like scoring.

• Like 1

He has an element of a giraffe on roller-skates about him at times , he can be a little heavy on the touch then somehow get the ball back under control , he's clearly quite strong but lacking the finesse that some strikers have ... but he's another Villa  striker in a long list lately who find themselves isolated and chasing shadows for large chunks of the game  .... i think its the system as much as it is the players  ,  I'd like to see him given a go alongside Samatta , but I don't think Smith will entertain the idea at this stage of the season ....

Edited by tonyh29

6 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Are you saying he is Heskey?

NO! I am saying that he's that type of striker that a goalscorer would like to play with. Heskey, Gudjohnsen , Kevin Davies, Nwankwo Kanu type stiker. Not prolific but wins headers and bullies defenders which helps the other striker to score goals 

Edited by messi11

6 minutes ago, messi11 said:

NO! I am saying that he's that type of striker that a goalscorer would like to play with. Heskey, Gudjohnsen , Kevin Davies, Nwankwo Kanu type stiker. Not prolific but wins headers and bullies defenders which helps the other striker to score goals 

Very few sides play 2 up front these days though, Birmingham City, Burnley, I can’t think of too many more. Smith just generally doesn’t play two up front, even at Brentford. I think he is too stubborn to change his ways

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Genie said:

You missed the other chance where Henderson made a top-quality save. On another day, or with a shitter keeper, that would have been a goal.

13 minutes ago, Rolta said:

You missed the other chance where Henderson made a top-quality save. On another day, or with a shitter keeper, that would have been a goal.

Not really it was at keepers height who was in standard keepers position.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Rolta said:

Could also equally say a better striker would have hit the net... I think the keeper did make the save look a bit more extravagant than it needed to be though. 

He has a lot of promising attributes to his game, it’s just concerning this lack of killer instinct and abundance of injuries might stop him from having a good career at this level.

• Like 1

He is a truly excellent footballer. I do wonder he if he could play off the front man in and around the 10. Great feet. Great touch. Great skill. Great composure. Has that thing all good footballers have - he is never rushed and rarely gives the ball away.

Provided you have McGinn and A N other to do the defensive side of course.

He is an intriguing one. Would tie him down to a long termer. 2 years of football and an injury free run he would be a 10m footballer minimum.

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

Not really it was at keepers height who was in standard keepers position.

only if he scuffed it he would have scored. Or done what Aguero does and aimed for the roof of the net. But then Davis would be a 60 million player 🤣.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, lexicon said:

Any game where a striker scored a goal was more use to us tbh. 

It was encouraging but I think you're blowing it out of proportion somewhat. 

How many games our strikers scored?

Everton, Arsenal, Norwich, Burnley. Thats for Wes.

Then Samatta, Bournemouth and Spurs.

We lost 3 of those, won 3. For Wes case it was out of 20 games.

The thing with Davis is he gets into scoring positions more than others, Samatta is the best, but sometimes Davis is much needed as we don’t offer a lot of scoring chances from open play. 

Â