Keinan Davis

a-k

His performance against Sheffield Utd was good, regardless of what we think about his fitness record. Good touch, movement and bossed their defenders on a number of occasions. 

The thing for me -- and I'm hardly being original here -- is that he needs someone close to him. He isn't 2015 Benteke. He isn't going to hold the ball up, swivel and go at defenders. He's taking defenders out of the game and gives us an out ball. 

Our failure to score on Wednesday was more a reflection of the lack of support from Jack and McGinn. When Jack comes deep to collect the ball, we lose that connection between midfield and attack. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

His performance against Sheffield Utd was good, regardless of what we think about his fitness record. Good touch, movement and bossed their defenders on a number of occasions. 

The thing for me -- and I'm hardly being original here -- is that he needs someone close to him. He isn't 2015 Benteke. He isn't going to hold the ball up, swivel and go at defenders. He's taking defenders out of the game and gives us an out ball. 

Our failure to score on Wednesday was more a reflection of the lack of support from Jack and McGinn. When Jack comes deep to collect the ball, we lose that connection between midfield and attack. 

Didn't look like he needed much help on Wednesday.

He pretty much bulldozed his way through their centre backs on his own.

But yeah Jack and El Ghazi needs to get closer to him.

He had a really good game. Deserved a goal, only an outstanding save denied him a goal. We notably conceded more of the game when he went off, we were poorer for his absence. I do think we can tweak our set up to get even more benefit from him. I’d prefer to see Grealish more central in a 4-14-1, whereby our midfield could get closer to Davis, or a 4-1-3-2 with Samatta in and around Davis. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

I’d prefer to see Grealish more central in a 4-14-1, whereby our midfield could get closer to Davis, or a 4-1-3-2 with Samatta in and around Davis. 

You're onto something here.

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Against Sheffield we saw all the attributes we saw in the championship that made us all notice - big future for him. 

If he proves his fitness and shows he can score goals, not likely to get much support from elsewhere on the pitch unfortunately...

Regards,

VLD.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, lexicon said:

But the thing is that if he doesn't score or help score, it doesn't matter if he got into the position or not - that's the reality when it comes to strikers. 

I'm not saying that he's bad or anything, I just think it's important to temper our expectations for the time being. 

What about other players? And who’s to say he’ll not score? Once he score he’ll keep scoring.

2 hours ago, Jareth said:

Against Sheffield we saw all the attributes we saw in the championship that made us all notice - big future for him. 

Notice, I agree but lack of goals will be his downfall if he doesn’t change that.  I’m not convinced he will change that as he doesn’t have that ability in his wheelhouse but I’m cheering for him during this end of season run.

• Like 1

Championship level player. Unfortunately, we'll probably need him next year.

1) Put the ball in his own net.

2) Put through clean on goal. Never looked up and had awareness of what the GK was doing. Let the defender back in easily. Fortunate to have the offside flag save him.

3) Jack plays ball through with their defence caught square and dead to rights. Keinan fails to appreciate the open goal in front of him until too late, hence only fast running, rather than explosively accelerating as a goal scorer would in that situation. Ends up being miles away from the square ball.

• Like 1

Does anyone think Rashford or Martial played better today than Davis yesterday? I think they were quite similar. They each had equally as many chances as Davis, yet Davis also had a better hold up game. He is quite good. Needs to sign a new deal soon before he breaks trough.

39 minutes ago, villakram said:

Championship level player. Unfortunately, we'll probably need him next year.

1) Put the ball in his own net.

2) Put through clean on goal. Never looked up and had awareness of what the GK was doing. Let the defender back in easily. Fortunate to have the offside flag save him.

3) Jack plays ball through with their defence caught square and dead to rights. Keinan fails to appreciate the open goal in front of him until too late, hence only fast running, rather than explosively accelerating as a goal scorer would in that situation. Ends up being miles away from the square ball.

People keep bringing up this square ball, he was sprinting in and the pass was too heavy, the only way he was scoring that was if he was

1) 2 yards offside

2) prime Gabby pace wise

3) had 20ft long legs like Peter Crouch 

There are only a handful of players in the league who could have scored there and they are all the quickest ones, Vardy, Aguero, Sterling etc

I love Davis, I think it's only a matter of time and some regular games before he starts scoring 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, weedman said:

People keep bringing up this square ball, he was sprinting in and the pass was too heavy, the only way he was scoring that was if he was

1) 2 yards offside

2) prime Gabby pace wise

3) had 20ft long legs like Peter Crouch 

There are only a handful of players in the league who could have scored there and they are all the quickest ones, Vardy, Aguero, Sterling etc

I love Davis, I think it's only a matter of time and some regular games before he starts scoring 

Why? No history of him as a regular scorer at any level.  Hope is fine but history is not on his side that your last sentence states.

I like big Kienan but he's a striker that never looks like scoring. He has no goals or assists in 9 league appearances, which is poor.

Also Smith saying he's the "Heskey type" is equally ineffective if you don't play him alongside an "Owen type". Doh!

2 minutes ago, Spray said:

I like big Kienan but he's a striker that never looks like scoring. He has no goals or assists in 9 league appearances, which is poor.

Also Smith saying he's the "Heskey type" is equally ineffective if you don't play him alongside an "Owen type". Doh!

But he makes up for it if he creates space for others and players around him is getting into scoring positions as a result of it.

Hourihane and McGinn had chances on Wednesday. Not just Keinan. On a different day we would have scored.

42 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

But he makes up for it if he creates space for others and players around him is getting into scoring positions as a result of it.

Hourihane and McGinn had chances on Wednesday. Not just Keinan. On a different day we would have scored.

But if your sole striker doesn’t score goals you are going to struggle in the league there is no getting away from that.  Defenders will love Davis because they don’t care if they get bullied around as long as they don’t concede a goal.

I’m not sure he does create space, his attributes are more holding the ball up and should be laying it off to his striker partner (which we don’t have in this formation) or attacking midfielder and our midfielders don’t play close enough to him for that, even Jack.

For Davis to be successful we need to utilise his skills otherwise what’s the point if he plays superb if we don’t benefit from it because he isn’t going to score goals on his own.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

The goals will come Nick. Show some faith in him.

Davis will become a great player

Well management must see that from him that he's a very good player because the impatience management can have with a striker who isnt scoring, alot would of been put the door would they not.

I still say maybe it would be best for Davis to take up a new role, maybe behind the striker in attacking midfield. If Davis isn't going to be a scorer at least remove the pressure of him being one and accept that we can utilise him in other ways that the team benefits from it. If we dropped the Wingers there would be room for Davis behind Samatta. I think if we removed the pressure away from Davis of looking for some goals it allows the lad to concentrate on his game that he's very good at. He's a very fast player that can be used both attack and defence like minded so having him join in on attacks and if need to he can always play more defensive by dropping back further into midfield. I think we all agree that Davis is no scorer, we all agree that he needs to be used somewhere so again best place for me is in an attacking midfield role.

Edited by Dave-R

1 minute ago, Dave-R said:

Well management must see that from him that he's a very good player because the impatience management can have with a striker who isnt scoring, alot would of been put the door would they not.

I still say maybe it would be best for Davis to take up a new role, maybe behind the striker in attacking midfield. If Davis isn't going to be a scorer at least remove the pressure of him being one and accept that we can utilise him in other ways that the team benefits from it. If we dropped the Wingers there would be room for Davis behind Samatta. I think if we removed the pressure away from Davis of looming for some goals it allows the lads to concentrate on his game that he's very good at. He's a very fast player that can be used both attack and defence like minded so having him join in on attacks and if need to he can always play more defensive by dropping back further into midfield. I think we all agree that Davis is no scorer, we all agree that he needs to be used somewhere so again best place for me is in an attacking midfield role.

Nah.

Goals will come. Not every keeper is Dean Henderson.

No need to change anything. Formation is fine. The goals will come if he put in performances like that.

Just now, villalad21 said:

Nah.

Goals will come. Not every keeper is Dean Henderson.

No need to change anything. Formation is fine. The goals will come if he put in performances like that.

I'm not so sure Goals will come for Davis, so you may as well use him without him thinking is this the day I get pushed away from my Villa family, he must think that and it must plague his mind with how he does not score. Formation is not fine at all, not in the slightest, I don't know who you've been watching but to say our formation is fine is a tad bit crackers. Your entitled to your opinion, I'd just like to know why you think our Formation is fine considering we cant play it very well at the moment???

Â