Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

8 hours ago, guyavfc said:

With Chelsea signing another striker, you'd think Bamford would be off.

The way Chelsea normally operate I'm surprised Batshyaui hasn't been Loaned out to Burton Albion yet. 

The fee for the Toshiba geezer looks well over the top. £5m for a guy with a total of 13 appearances in the championship - and a ropey injury record. Don't think there will be an in between with this one - either a stroke of genius or a flop.

Daily Mail were last night were reporting Gollini wasn't convinced about coming here. Personally I hope we get someone more experienced.

11 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Our current midfield is mentally weak. They need a leader out there, game in game out.

I'd shed Sanchez and bring in a captain type. He just hasn't found any consistency or improved as I would have liked. At all. 

Agree totally. I think we have a lot of good midfield players, especially at this level. But they lack someone who can drive them all on and keep them organised. I'd love to say Petrov is that guy, but in reality we need someone else to do the job.

1 minute ago, AVFC44 said:

Gareth Barry would be beyond perfect for that role in this league.

And with Everton's newfound lofty ambitions maybe they will look to move him on?

He would be perfect, but I still can't see him moving down a division.

I was sure he'd stay at Everton (he was their player of the season last season) but I guess with their new found money/ambition he may well leave there. But having performed that well for a decent PL team last year I think he's probably got another season or two at that level left in him.

I would love to see him here, but I can see a newly promoted team going all out to sign someone like Barry.

41 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Agree totally. I think we have a lot of good midfield players, especially at this level. But they lack someone who can drive them all on and keep them organised. I'd love to say Petrov is that guy, but in reality we need someone else to do the job.

I'm quite surprised Westwood hasn't developed into that player (before anyone jumps on me, this isn't about ability...!).  He was captain at Crewe and has always been talked about as a good role model, leader for youth players etc but he just seems far too quiet on the pitch.  Maybe this is his time?

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I'm quite surprised Westwood hasn't developed into that player (before anyone jumps on me, this isn't about ability...!).  He was captain at Crewe and has always been talked about as a good role model, leader for youth players etc but he just seems far too quiet on the pitch.  Maybe this is his time?

Can't see him ever being that sort of a leader. 

I think he'll play a lot this season and play well, but I don't think he's that guy,

4 minutes ago, bobzy said:

It will never be his time. 

1 hour ago, hippo said:

The fee for the Toshiba geezer looks well over the top. £5m for a guy with a total of 13 appearances in the championship - and a ropey injury record. Don't think there will be an in between with this one - either a stroke of genius or a flop.

Daily Mail were last night were reporting Gollini wasn't convinced about coming here. Personally I hope we get someone more experienced.

Well we are now the equivalent of Man City in the championship, think we will be paying over the odds for players, but hopefully it will get us all the targets we want. 

1 hour ago, KSV said:

Looks like Gollini is getting close. Apparently hes in England. Talking to Fulham Villa and even Inter interested. 

Got a feeling we want this guy as a number 2. Fulham could want him as a no.1

I think we would need to be looking to sign him as our first choice keeper because I doubt he would come here to warm a bench. 

Aston Villa are set to complete the signing of goalkeeper Pierluigi Gollini, according to Italian news outlet Tuttomercatoweb.

The report claims that the 21-year-old goalkeeper has left Italy and flown to England for talks about a deal set to be worth a reported £5m.

New Villa manager Roberto Di Matteo is keen to add new players to his squad, backed by new owner Tony Xia’s funds, and has identified Gollini as the ideal replacement for Brad Guzan and Mark Bunn.

Gollini has already had a spell in England following his apprenticeship with Manchester United, but failed to make an impression at Old Trafford before being moved on to Verona.

The stopper impressed last season for Verona, where his performances have caught the eye of a number of clubs in Europe. However, it appears Di Matteo will be using his Italian connections to lure Gollini to Villa Park as his squad rebuild continues.

Villa were relegated last season from the Premier League after a miserable season under Tim Sherwood and Remi Garde, and will be looking to get back to the top flight at the first time of asking.

Villa fans, what do you think? Happy to be signing a new keeper? Let us know your thoughts!

Clicky

50 minutes ago, John said:

I think we would need to be looking to sign him as our first choice keeper because I doubt he would come here to warm a bench. 

I'd say you're right. You'd assume this puts an end to any Pantilimon interest. You'd also imagine that a Championship club wouldn't be spending £5m on a substitute goalkeeper. Even with a new owner intent on impressing a fanbase. 

Excited about Gollini, he could be huge for us... It's a toss up between Guzan and Bunn for replacement, I'd imagine Bunn would be more content to be on the bench every week, whereas Guzan would just spit chewing gum around.

Never seen Gollini play, anyone actually seen him? 

2 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Excited about Gollini, he could be huge for us... It's a toss up between Guzan and Bunn for replacement, I'd imagine Bunn would be more content to be on the bench every week, whereas Guzan would just spit chewing gum around.

Never seen Gollini play, anyone actually seen him? 

Classic VT, foreign name = excited.

Good to see some things never change 

• Like 1