Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

On a loan deal I'd definitely risk signing Morrisson.  Whilst his attitude is questionable like Gabby and Lescott etc,  at least Morrisson has some talent to back it up.  

If,  abs it's a big if,  we can get the best out of him then why not?  If he's a complete tit we can always terminate the loan.  

Edited by PieFacE

2 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

On a loan deal I'd definitely risk signing Morrisson.  Whilst his attitude is questionable like Gabby and Lescott etc,  at least Morrisson has some talent to back it up.  

If,  abs it's a big if,  we can get the best out of him then why not?  If he's a complete tit we can always terminate the loan.  

He's in a completely different ballpark to Agbonlahor and Lescott in terms of poor attitude - and we're not talking about one season either.  He's basically been rotten his entire career.

He's potentially the biggest waste of footballing talent that I'll see in my lifetime.

3 hours ago, hippo said:

How have we signed Elphick then ? 

If you're going to wait until July 1 - that only gives us 4-5 weeks until the season starts.

I don't think think there is going to be the mass signing\selling of players that was predicted.

Well if he has convinced our better players to stay.. we may not need that many. We were all expecting Gana Amavi Ayew Grealish Okore etc to go.. but they could be staying. Now apparently Sanchez is staying. So maybe what the good Dr said about all the players RDM wants will stay is more true than fantasy. Apparently we also said to Celtic that Sinclair is not for sale. I'm only expecting  us to sign 4-5 players tops.

I think a lot of our players under performed for numerous reasons. A few leaders like Elphick and if Stan signs on.. plus a few more astute signings.. removal of Richards Lescott Gabby etc. We could compete to win it.

Edited by KSV
  • Like 1

On 6/22/2016 at 00:20, Heretic said:

Bring Juanfran with him.

If you're going, sign Juanfran Isco.

Be sure to wear some flowers in your hair...

This comment is absolute gold.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, hippo said:

Mostly agree.

But RDM has said that he won't be making decisions about the squad until after the now extended july training camp.

So in part the amount of time (or lack of) with new players is a decision made by RDM.

Im suspecting that he is not adverse to going with a fair quota of the players from last season. If you look at his management approach at other clubs he has managed, he's not the bull in a china shop type of manager, and himself has said he gets 'Difficult dressing rooms working together' 

Wouldn't be my approach, that said, i still think promotion is very achievable. Its a do or do not - there can be no excuses Im sure RDM knows the remit. 

Can you show me that quote? I looked for it last time I saw it mentioned and couldn't find it. 

42 minutes ago, bobzy said:

He's in a completely different ballpark to Agbonlahor and Lescott in terms of poor attitude - and we're not talking about one season either.  He's basically been rotten his entire career.

He's potentially the biggest waste of footballing talent that I'll see in my lifetime.

He's still young, 23 I think, so who knows where he'll take it from here. Wouldn't mind this signing at all.

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

apparently we are favourites to sign ravel morrison on loan. very good player but shit attitude. god imagine him with flabby, lescott and richards :bang:

Where did you hear/read this? I remember there was a discussion on here a week or two ago based on his tweet about coming to Birmingham, maybe the rumour has grown from that discussion?

5 minutes ago, NeilS said:

Where did you hear/read this? I remember there was a discussion on here a week or two ago based on his tweet about coming to Birmingham, maybe the rumour has grown from that discussion?

here

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

apparently we are favourites to sign ravel morrison on loan. very good player but shit attitude. god imagine him with flabby, lescott and richards :bang:

I would be devastated if we signed somebody with his record of unprofessionalism. 

Would undo all of the good work of the Elphick signing and then some. 

29 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Thanks. That article is basing the rumour on what a betting company are offering odds on his signature. Which could have been affected by the tweet/discussion on here. I wouldn't worry too much just yet.

• Like 2

Good player and would be a excellent signing (in terms of on field ability) for a Championship club. But I'm not really up to date with his off field antics, as he actually done much wrong.

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I know this is a speculation thread. .....but whilst this statement is literally true, in that Bet Victor had us as favourites, I think it illustrates what a silly world we live in........no quotes, no evidence, nothing, just a bookmaker who has us as most likely.

Which could easily be as a result of 2 people on here putting £20 on him. Barely the basis for a second glance, let alone a debate about the guy.

52 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Can you show me that quote? I looked for it last time I saw it mentioned and couldn't find it. 

Theres not quote. It was an article i think in the birmingham mail - backed up by one or two itk's. Its now only just over a week until the training camp so I thinks its correct. 

I think we will unlikely see any signings until RDM has had a proper look at the squad in training.

RDM will be clear of some major deficits last season (hence Elphick) and I wouldn't be surprised if he is looking at Pantilimon/Morrison/Bamfors as these are areas with clear deficits in the team from last season, a blind monkey could tell you that! 

Othewise I think he will be looking at the squad and seeing who he can use/who needs to go. Those that have told him they want out (I remember reading that he has already spoken to each player) he will be lining up replacements in readiness. 

Thats what I would do anyway :) 

And FWIW if RDM wanted Morrison, he reckons he can get his head back on straight and actually play football; which if he can would be brilliant! 

1 hour ago, KSV said:

Well if he has convinced our better players to stay.. we may not need that many. We were all expecting Gana Amavi Ayew Grealish Okore etc to go.. but they could be staying. Now apparently Sanchez is staying. So maybe what the good Dr said about all the players RDM wants will stay is more true than fantasy. Apparently we also said to Celtic that Sinclair is not for sale. I'm only expecting  us to sign 4-5 players tops.

I think a lot of our players under performed for numerous reasons. A few leaders like Elphick and if Stan signs on.. plus a few more astute signings.. removal of Richards Lescott Gabby etc. We could compete to win it.

Hmmmm....I had trouble voting for a Man of the Match on many occasions last season, and had nobody at all for player of the season.  I'm not alone either.  Our 'better players' were frequently awful, and had us hitting record lows. I really hope RDM's view isn't as charitable as yours !! We need to get rid of a lot of crap.  I'm a long way from being remotely convinced that, of those you mention, Grealish, Okore, Sanchez and Sinclair have either shown ability or attitude that would put them in a group called 'best' anything !

I agree totally they underperformed for various reasons..but see no reason why they should now be immune in any way from the criticism others are  - rightly  - getting.

Of course it is true that a different Manager and different circumstances can alter performances, but I'm less sure character can be altered as easily, and that, above everything else, is what we lack and need.....I haven't seen evidence of good (footballing) character in those I've singled out here.

I'd agree with you on Gana (albeit with a few glaring lapses), Amav (albeit based on little evidence), and Ayew though.

Do we even need that much change to challenge for instant promotion? I'd say the squad, if tinkered with a little by a competent management team could, even should, do well enough to get promoted. Then you buy the players to keep us in the Premier League. Most purchases now will be relatively short term as true PL quality players won't join us yet so we need a few promising players and to utilise better what we already have.

A match day squad I'd be happy with would look something like

Guzan (Maybe new keeper)

Richards Okore Elphick Amavi

Traore Westwood (New Signing) Sinclair

Ayew Gestede (hopefully New Signing to replace one of these, Ayew if we have to or Gestede out of choice)

Subs: Bunn, Clark, Gardner, Grealish, Petrov (please!), some youngsters...

So definitely need a midfielder, would like a striker (or need if Ayew goes) and possibly a keeper. No point selling poor Premier League players to replace them with good Championship players - it's much of a muchness and invariably you spend more than you make for little, if any, improvement.

Retention of the likes of Ayew, Amavi and Traore is more important than puchases, those three players alone make up a quarter of a top 10 PL team. Add in the likes of Grealish, Okore for promise, Richards, Sinclair and Westwood for experience and even Gestede is good at this level and we're not that bad. Hopefully the mindset will be thd biggest difference this year, we may be surprised now it's all change at VP and we can start getting performances out of some of these players.

If we then get promoted, that's when a true overhaul would be needed.