Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

4 minutes ago, hippo said:

How have we signed Elphick then ? 

If you're going to wait until July 1 - that only gives us 4-5 weeks until the season starts.

I don't think think there is going to be the mass signing\selling of players that was predicted.

Neither do I

I don't think I expected 11 new players, as much as I'd like that, I think we'll probably see another 3 or 4 and that will be it. If they're of decent quality, that should be enough to see us on our way. 

We could get 3 on deadline day, remember when Benteke signed at like midnight that year (2012...?) I didn't know who he was but it was exciting.

Edited by alreadyexists

1 minute ago, hippo said:

If you're going to wait until July 1 - that only gives us 4-5 weeks until the season starts.

I don't think think there is going to be the mass signing\selling of players that was predicted.

As I said, sooner we can do our business the better. 

Who knows if there will or won't be a mass signing\selling of players, I am not sure how anyone can predict that at this stage.

23 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

As I said, sooner we can do our business the better. 

Who knows if there will or won't be a mass signing\selling of players, I am not sure how anyone can predict that at this stage.

Im predicting there won't be. Purely on timescales. 3 or 4 new faces IMO. 

1 hour ago, hippo said:

Doesn't leave much time though. The Euro's finish on July 10 - that doesn't leave us much time to conduct the sort of overall that many were expecting. 

You would assume they're not sitting on their hands doing **** all in the meanwhile. 

If we head into the last week of July with most of the new signings in place that's fine. I won't be blaming them if they struggle, it always was going to be far more difficult than some seem to think.

He's had zero time with the squad and signing players isn't as simple as football manager would have you believe. We were 'quick' last season and look where that got us.

Players are back next week aren't they?

There's still plenty of time to get things done and I'm sure there will be stuff going on in the background.  We're usually pretty discreet about signings until they're pretty much done and with the focus on the Euros there aren't as many journos with time to fill on rumours.  I'm still expecting 5-6 more to come in (+ the outs...)

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

The transfer window opened on 9th June.

May mistake then. I had read in the Birmingham Mail and elsewhere that "the summer window officially opens on July 1, but players, agents and clubs will be discussing contract terms and final fees long before then (link).  Still says as much on the official PL website i.e. "The summer transfer window will soon open" (link

Edited by Gary Thomas

26 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I think we need 8-9 by the way. I think we will get 5-6. I was impressed by the signing of Elphick, give me more like that and my positivity will rise. 

All depends on the 'outs' I suppose - if we can hold on to most of our better players, while replacing our worse players with 5-6 good players we may be OK.  If we start to leak our better players 5-6  may not be enough. Really hope we can cull some of the words removed and replace them with characters like Elphick - need a few more leaders and role models.

Edited by Gary Thomas
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

You would assume they're not sitting on their hands doing **** all in the meanwhile. 

If we head into the last week of July with most of the new signings in place that's fine. I won't be blaming them if they struggle, it always was going to be far more difficult than some seem to think.

He's had zero time with the squad and signing players isn't as simple as football manager would have you believe. We were 'quick' last season and look where that got us.

Mostly agree.

But RDM has said that he won't be making decisions about the squad until after the now extended july training camp.

So in part the amount of time (or lack of) with new players is a decision made by RDM.

Im suspecting that he is not adverse to going with a fair quota of the players from last season. If you look at his management approach at other clubs he has managed, he's not the bull in a china shop type of manager, and himself has said he gets 'Difficult dressing rooms working together' 

Wouldn't be my approach, that said, i still think promotion is very achievable. Its a do or do not - there can be no excuses Im sure RDM knows the remit. 

18 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

May mistake then. I had read in the Birmingham Mail and elsewhere that "the summer window officially opens on July 1, but players, agents and clubs will be discussing contract terms and final fees long before then (link).  Still says as much on the official PL website i.e. "The summer transfer window will soon open" (link

Whatever - I think effectively can sign players before July 1 if we want to.  

"The window isn't open yet" IMO can not be used a reason for not signing players... 

Edited by hippo

We always had this under MON...why aren't we signing players in mid June? We would then sign a few in July and plenty in August and our starts to the season were usually pretty good.

Who knows who we're targeting but there are a couple of major tournaments that are being played. And those players who aren't involved are away on holiday. Let's remember Elphick had to cut short his honeymoon otherwise we'd still be wondering if he would sign.

Let's say Pantilmon is a major target...he's been with Romania last few weeks...will now go on holiday for a bit, you can see why that signing wouldn't be imminent.

I'm not too concerned. If we get to pre season and mid July and Elphick's our only signing I would be concerned as we certainly need 4-5 to freshen the place up.

41 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I think we need 8-9 by the way. I think we will get 5-6. I was impressed by the signing of Elphick, give me more like that and my positivity will rise. 

It's all down to who stays. If by some fluke we could keep Adama, Okore, Amavi, Aywe, Grealish, Gana, coupled with Elphick then that's a good starting point. Another 5-6 added to that lot would be reasonable. That would mean a goalkeeper, RB, CM and striker would be priorities. I'd add another midfielder to that. This would leave us people like Gestede, Hutton, Richards etc as squad players.

It could then be that another 2 could be bought in in January to give us a push, if needed (which they probably would be) 

Until the squad is back training for  week or so I doubt RDM will be making any more transfer dealings. He might have a rough idea of who he wants to stay or go but he'd be better to look at the guys training and see where we stand. 

It might also be the case that he's waiting in signing a technical director to take charge of transfers 

19 minutes ago, Butterfingers said:

It's all down to who stays. If by some fluke we could keep Adama, Okore, Amavi, Aywe, Grealish, Gana, coupled with Elphick then that's a good starting point. Another 5-6 added to that lot would be reasonable. That would mean a goalkeeper, RB, CM and striker would be priorities. I'd add another midfielder to that. This would leave us people like Gestede, Hutton, Richards etc as squad players.

It could then be that another 2 could be bought in in January to give us a push, if needed (which they probably would be) 

More likely we will keep Richards, Lescott, Bacuna and Gabby.