Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

Just now, TrentVilla said:

It's not like our rivals are signing people, Benitez is quoted only yesterday saying it's tough at the moment.

I agree, and am not too worried at this stage as there is still time, but we do have a "lot" more work to do than Newcastle who have a better squad. My feeling is things will happen after the Euros.  We are bottom of the food chain at the moment - the business done by those in the premier league will partly determine who becomes available and who we can realistically go after.  ideally start the first game with 3-5 new players, including a quality striker, and then maybe pick up a few in August, maybe loans.

With such a strong Chelsea connection in our new management team, two loans I'd love to see are, young striker Bertrand Traore and young centre-back Tomas Kalas, both with an option to buy if we gain promotion.

• Like 2

I think Newcastle punched themselves out last season trying to stay up they invested a significant amount trying to avoid the drop

I think any further signings they make will be dependent on who they sell i think they will need to reduce their wage bill significantly

In comparison i think our job is easier we have had austerity measures in place for years prior to us going down and we just need to trim the squad get rid of the underperforming unachievers and add some experience and guile to add to some of our exciting youngsters such as Adama

Edited by AshVilla

1 hour ago, AshVilla said:

I think Newcastle punched themselves out last season trying to stay up they invested a significant amount trying to avoid the drop

I think any further signings they make will be dependent on who they sell i think they will need to reduce their wage bill significantly

In comparison i think our job is easier we have had austerity measures in place for years prior to us going down and we just need to trim the squad get rid of the underperforming unachievers and add some experience and guile to add to some of our exciting youngsters such as Adama

EDIT: Sorry, I re-read and I now realise you meant financially burned themselves out, I agree that we're probably carrying more weight moneywise. 

Edited by alreadyexists

Yeah, I think they certainly spent some of their summer money trying to keep themselves up and it failed. I agree that it's better to do that than what we did, but it certainly puts them under a bit more strain. Rafa's a top manager though, I fully expect them to come straight back up.

I'm wondering if Di Matteo will give Bacuna a chance to resurrect his career this season.

If he does, I hope it's in one of his correct positions.

Bacuna was bought from Groningen as an adaptable midfielder, playing either right, central, attacking midfield or right wing.

He did fill in at right back for 5 or 6 games for Groningen but, that was as a last gasp measure because of injuries. 

As we have seen Bacuna is not a natural defender and was much more effective when employed in a wing-back role.

In fact, his best and most effective displays, have all been when he has been used further forward.

By using him properly, it could save the club some money.

21 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

I really hope not. For me he is the epitome of how poor we have been recently. No discernible attributes

Probably not mikeyp but, remember he has been played out of position virtually the entire time he's been at the club.

I'd be willing to give him a season, in his correct position, to see if he can play in the UK.

5 hours ago, sne said:

Newcastle look like they might lose both Townsend and Sissoko.

Could be good or bad news depending on how they reinvest

Newcastle United are understood to have stepped up their interest in Dwight Gayle.

The Chronicle reported on June 6 that the Magpies had been offered the 26-year-old Crystal Palace striker, and it is now believed he is ready to move on from Alan Pardew’s side as he looks for regular first-team football.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/newcastle-united-believed-stepped-up-11525208

Wish we could have signed Gayle a couple of years ago & woulnd't really want him going to Newcastle as he will smash them in for fun in the Championship

2 hours ago, 1958Villan said:

I'm wondering if Di Matteo will give Bacuna a chance to resurrect his career this season.

If he does, I hope it's in one of his correct positions.

Bacuna was bought from Groningen as an adaptable midfielder, playing either right, central, attacking midfield or right wing.

He did fill in at right back for 5 or 6 games for Groningen but, that was as a last gasp measure because of injuries. 

As we have seen Bacuna is not a natural defender and was much more effective when employed in a wing-back role.

In fact, his best and most effective displays, have all been when he has been used further forward.

By using him properly, it could save the club some money.

Bacuna will probably move on to a Champions League side.... 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, KJT123 said:

James Chester anyone? WBA were willing to listen to offers in January earlier this year. 

Not sure a CB pairing of Chester and Elphick would be ideal.

Would be funny thou having them standing on either side of Pantilimon, he's probably taller than them combined.

Edited by sne

37 minutes ago, KJT123 said:

James Chester anyone? WBA were willing to listen to offers in January earlier this year. 

Nothing against Chester personally but him and Elphick are both right sided/right footed I think?  Not ideal if this is the case, so signing a left sided centre half would be better.  If we did this, we could then offload Clark and/or Lescott. 

5 hours ago, 1958Villan said:

I hope not.  His performances last year - the one against Liverpool at home is burnt on my mind - were so half-arsed, lazy and poor I would struggle to ever forgive him.  I think is attitude is bloody awful to be honest and i just want him gone, probably more than anyone else. If RDM decided to keep him I would support him for the sake of the team, but I really hope we never have to see him in a Villa shirt again. I am sure there are clubs out there that would take him and it will give him, and us, the fresh start we need. 

Edited by Gary Thomas
  • Like 3