Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

we would all like to see near enough a new starting 11, but the board have made it clear they dont plan on spending much, but then, im bordering speculating seeing as there has been no mention of improving the first team.

we can all definitely see a fair few youths make the step up to save money, like lyden and mason maybe, but what cant be hidden, and the board need to accept, a new keeper, centre back and striker are urgently needed the most, with a right back, defensive mid and an attacking mid not far behind.

I don't think we need a new XI. I actually think we have some good players. Take Gana or Ayew and put them into a better squad and I'm sure they'll look great. I'd really like to keep:

Cissokho - He's been great since coming back.

Amavi - For once we have a bit of decent depth here. Would be good to see him back, challenging Aly.

Okore - I like him. Maybe because I have fond memories of the Okore/Clark partnership last season.

Clark - He makes mistakes, but he's physical. Could do with him down there to get the usual yellows.

Bacuna - I think he'll be a good asset in the Championship.

Ayew - If we can keep him alone I'll be happy. Passionate and a quality player.

Gestede - Proven at Championship level. I think he'll shine for us next year.

Adama - He'll tear things up and won't be easily bullied.

Gana - Been one of our best players this season

Veretout - Had some good games.

I think that's about it. Offload the rest and replace with quality. If it's a choice between keeping Guzan as backup or Bunn as backup, I'd opt for Bunn as I suspect his wages are lower and get a new first choice in. Toying with adding Hutton to the list as I like how he gets forward. Decided he was just a little too replaceable and probably on high wages.

• Like 2

All this talk of Championship experienced players, we've got Gary Gardner. We ought to be preparing him for a big role next season. Not a lot we can do at the moment seeing as he's at Forest, but we'd be mad to overlook him for next season!

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Sam3773 said:

I don't think we need a new XI. I actually think we have some good players. Take Gana or Ayew and put them into a better squad and I'm sure they'll look great. I'd really like to keep:

Cissokho - He's been great since coming back.

Amavi - For once we have a bit of decent depth here. Would be good to see him back, challenging Aly.

Okore - I like him. Maybe because I have fond memories of the Okore/Clark partnership last season.

Clark - He makes mistakes, but he's physical. Could do with him down there to get the usual yellows.

Bacuna - I think he'll be a good asset in the Championship.

Ayew - If we can keep him alone I'll be happy. Passionate and a quality player.

Gestede - Proven at Championship level. I think he'll shine for us next year.

Adama - He'll tear things up and won't be easily bullied.

Gana - Been one of our best players this season

Veretout - Had some good games.

I think that's about it. Offload the rest and replace with quality. If it's a choice between keeping Guzan as backup or Bunn as backup, I'd opt for Bunn as I suspect his wages are lower and get a new first choice in. Toying with adding Hutton to the list as I like how he gets forward. Decided he was just a little too replaceable and probably on high wages.

You can also add Gardner, Steer , Baker, Robinson into that as they're all doing a decent job in the Championship at the minute. You've also missed out Grealish and Gil. If we can keep the players we want to we won't need that many additions but that's a pretty big IF. Is there a squad limit in the Championship? What are the loan rules? We will definitely need at least 1 striker hopefully 2. A new GK and a new RB as a minimum but we've been saying that for months!! 

1 hour ago, dn1982 said:

You can also add Gardner, Steer , Baker, Robinson into that as they're all doing a decent job in the Championship at the minute. You've also missed out Grealish and Gil. If we can keep the players we want to we won't need that many additions but that's a pretty big IF. Is there a squad limit in the Championship? What are the loan rules? We will definitely need at least 1 striker hopefully 2. A new GK and a new RB as a minimum but we've been saying that for months!! 

Individually I have no doubt that the majority of this squad are capable of performing in the Championship.

Collectively, they are a bunch of weak minded, cowardly losers.For that reason alone this squad needs to be ripped to shreds, new blood needs to be brought in, new characters, players with bollocks, players that want to achieve something more than a five year contract. Players that will driag performances out of each other, that will stand up and be counted, that will shout, encourage and cajole their teammates, players that don't just flap their arms and shrug their shoulders.

We need a group that are proud to play for this club, that have the courage and conviction to say "No!!! We will not go quietly into that dark night!!! We will fight for this institution, we will fight for this shirt. We will battle for what we believe in... this game and these fans...because at the end of the day, whilst the monkeys upstairs continue to **** up, we will always be accountable to the supporters and ourselves. So we will fight for every 3 points, we will do everything in our power and ability to get this club back to where it belongs...and then, just then, maybe we can say we achieved something worth remembering!!!!!!!!"

So year, if we could get at least half a dozen out, that would be smashing.

50 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Individually I have no doubt that the majority of this squad are capable of performing in the Championship.

Collectively, they are a bunch of weak minded, cowardly losers.For that reason alone this squad needs to be ripped to shreds, new blood needs to be brought in, new characters, players with bollocks, players that want to achieve something more than a five year contract. Players that will driag performances out of each other, that will stand up and be counted, that will shout, encourage and cajole their teammates, players that don't just flap their arms and shrug their shoulders.

We need a group that are proud to play for this club, that have the courage and conviction to say "No!!! We will not go quietly into that dark night!!! We will fight for this institution, we will fight for this shirt. We will battle for what we believe in... this game and these fans...because at the end of the day, whilst the monkeys upstairs continue to **** up, we will always be accountable to the supporters and ourselves. So we will fight for every 3 points, we will do everything in our power and ability to get this club back to where it belongs...and then, just then, maybe we can say we achieved something worth remembering!!!!!!!!"

So year, if we could get at least half a dozen out, that would be smashing.

Hopefully we will get rid of the likes of Guzan Richards Lescott Gabby Hutton and a few others and replace them with fighters. If we had some true leaders allied to the younger players we'd be in a decent place but we tried getting some leaders last summer and they've turned out to be a bunch of clearings in the woods!!! That's the problem these days when players are financially secure they lose the desire when the going gets tough. 

Get rid of Gay or whatever he is called and Vertout useless. But would agree on paper we look good enough to stay up. I think Amavi was decent, little dodgy defending but in the Championship would cause problems. We need a new Keeper and at least one in the midfield. If we can keep the rest we would be ok. I would keep Gabby as though past his best, (not that we have played to his limited strengths) He would be a problem for teams in the Championship). We do need some more decent strikers though. We bounced back last time we were down here but i'm sure we had a certain player for £200,000 from Crewe called David Platt and goodness knows we need another similar (last few seasons it was Benteke).

For starters in the summer, we desperately need to sign our new captain and get them in quick so they can be a good influence on the training ground!  Not really sure who but someone in the mould of a Gareth Barry would be good.  Then we need to build a team with some of the best players from the lower leagues, supplemented by some experience.  Here's a few suggestions - David Marshall, Charlie Adam, Liam Bridcutt, Bradley Johnson, Dwight Gayle, Nathan Redmond, Matt Phillips, Lewis Dunk, Joe Mason, Lewis Joao, Rico Henry.

Gabby for me is a big part of the rot, his attitude and "performance" is t acceptable

For me personally we have to identify and bin off the bad eggs before we do anything else, otherwise all we are going to do is buy more players to have the life sucked out of them by the lethargic older heads that we have here

More than anything else the rot has to stop

gabby should be nowhere near the team ever hes name gets brought up as one of the bad eggs in the dressing room . And even if we arent playing to hes limited abilities he should still look like he cares considering hes meant to be a fan ?

I hope, against all odds, the club can screw their collective heads on and tell clubs and wantaway players that we categorically WONT let our players go for cut-price deals this summer.

We spent decent sums on a number of players last summer, putting many of them on long contracts, and it would be foolish for the club to let them go for cheap at the first time of asking, making massive losses on them.

Even in our current situation, we should aim to become one of those clubs we often peer jealously over the fence at, who look to get the very best deal in all situations.

If someone wants Veretout, tell them to cough up £10m or he's staying for another season. If someone wants Ayew, tell them it's £15m for him because of his newly gained 'Prem experience', otherwise he's staying another season. If anyone wants Gana or Traore, cough up! Etc etc!

We know we can't keep all these players, because of their wages, but the buying clubs don't need to know about other deals that are ongoing. If they pull the 'you need to sell' card, we should stand firm with the 'no we don't' response, and look to get the best deal possible.

• Like 2

People talking about keeping and selling for championship, I pretty much think some of these guys will force their way out of Villa and I expect us to be a bit of a pushover because we'll think we can get different players more suitable for the championship.

Amavi will only stay because he has been injured, if he had been fit somebody wouldve come and pinched him.  Vertout, Gana, Ayew and Adama, I assuming at least half of them gone because I cant imagine they enjoyed their first season here, they still have reputation in Euorpe for their prior performances to Villa and will blame the team rather than themselves and clubs can pick them up for $5m ish, which is cheap for young talent.  

I'm also sure that whoever is the manager of Villa in the summer will want some changes, so more than half the team is likely to change

Despite contracts, we have little control of players if they want to leave.  We have experienced that in the past as you know.

Edited by nick76

15 minutes ago, nick76 said:

People talking about keeping and selling for championship, I pretty much think some of these guys will force their way out of Villa and I expect us to be a bit of a pushover because we'll think we can get different players more suitable for the championship.

Amavi will only stay because he has been injured, if he had been fit somebody wouldve come and pinched him.  Vertout, Gana, Ayew and Adama, I assuming at least half of them gone because I cant imagine they enjoyed their first season here, they still have reputation in Euorpe for their prior performances to Villa and will blame the team rather than themselves and clubs can pick them up for $5m ish, which is cheap for young talent.  

I'm also sure that whoever is the manager of Villa in the summer will want some changes, so more than half the team is likely to change

Despite contracts, we have little control of players if they want to leave.  We have experienced that in the past as you know.

The issue is we paid big fees of 7-9 mil for these players and probably paid more in wages than a lot of clubs were offering, so the biggest question is will clubs abroad pay the fees and wages needed?

If you look at teams that have gone down such as QPR, a lot of their best players have been loaned or had to stay because no-one would pay the fees they wanted, so they'll be a good few players stuck on our books that don't want to be at the club and that the club doesn't want to fund any further or lose out on.