Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

2 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

For me, if we can sell/terminate the contracts (unless already going to be OOC) of the following players at the end of the season then half the problem has been solved.

Guzan, Bunn, Bennett, Richards, Lescott, Hutton, Cissoko, Sinclair, Veretout, Richardson, Agbonlahor, Traore, Gestede, N'zogbia, Gana, Bacuna, Kozak, and if his attitude does not improve then you can add Grealish to that list as well.

The rest who I have not mentioned have at least shown some sort of quality and attitude to merit building a team with those triers in it,

Is this the part where I say "...but I think XXXXXXX could do a job in the Championship"

Would keep Traore as he hasn't been given the platform to show us what he can do, the rest can get ****.

• Like 1

Gana was talking up playing Champions League football earlier this season so it's unlikely he would stick around. 

Veretout has been utter shite and doubt he will stay. Of the 'new' signings I'd like to keep Ayew and Traore, I think both would be extremely good players in the Championship. I'd consider Gestede as well, as shite as he is he's at least experienced in that league. The rest can get ****

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Bamford on loan?

Yes would take him, dosen't look up to it at prem level but scores goals for fun in championship.

Dwight Gayle aswell, can't get a run at Palace but again has a good record in the championship and we need pace and mobility upfront.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 3

- - - - - - - - Myhill - - - - - - - -

Hutton - Clark - - Baker - Amavi

- - - - - Barry - - Gardner - - - - -

Grealish - - - - - - - - - - - - Gayle

- - - - Bamford - - Gestede - - - -

Replace Baker with someone more experienced, and I think that has the makings of a half-decent and fairly realistic side. Maybe replace Grealish with someone who would put a proper shift in though.

I know I said I wouldnt take anymore City players but is a young Irish lad called Jack Byrne who is on loan in Netherlands and playing well and is highly rated by people like Vieira that we could probably take him on loan for next season

I'd love Dwight Gayle, think he's pretty good to be honest.  quick, direct, neat control and has a good range of shots on him - he'd score loads in the championship (providing we give him players to play with that will provide opportunities).

• Like 1

Id go for a few "cream of the crop" lads from the lower divisions............. Bradley Dack for one, looks a gem at Gillingham, could make the stepup to Championship no problem........... 

1 minute ago, Adbo9 said:

Id go for a few "cream of the crop" lads from the lower divisions............. Bradley Dack for one, looks a gem at Gillingham, could make the stepup to Championship no problem........... 

I don't doubt you for a second, but that sentence makes me sad.

Just now, sne said:

I don't doubt you for a second, but that sentence makes me sad.

Yeah, but weve gotta harden ourselves to it............... FWIW I always feel when Villa go for Big names, big money players they never do the business by and large, our success in signing player, certainly in my era of watching from the late 80s to now, has been of players coming from lesser clubs that the fans raised their eyebrows, or busted flushes at bigger club who came as damaged goods............. For example of players coming from nowhere, Platty, Yorke, Taylor, Delaney, Teale, Cox, southgate, ehiogu, bosnich, Mellberg to name a few and then the Saunders, McGrath, Staunton, Townsend, Laursen players who came from bigger clubs stepping down (townsend not so much).....................

Not really sure what Im trying to say, but id always back a lad from Gillingham to step up and perform for Villa more than I would if we signed the european golden boot winner at the top of his game..............  

Heads out the clouds, the Bradley Dacks, Rico Henrys of this world are where were at, and I for one think well be better off for it..............

• Like 1

On 6 March 2016 at 12:24, VillaChris said:

Doubt it, Huddlestone can't get in the Hull team now.

Hull got it right though....keep hold of a decent core in McGregor, Dawson, Curtis Davies, Robertson, Diame, Snodgrass (missed most of season through injury so maybe like Amavi), Abel Hernandez and then added decent lower league players like Clucas and Moses Obujao.

I think he's dropped down the pecking order because he talked about leaving as he hasn't been offered a contract. At 29 he's still got a good few years in him and would easily get into our midfield. We will need a big squad next year as the games come thick and fast. Getting those 2 for nothing enables us to spean whatever money we have on getting goals into the team. 

12 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

I think he's dropped down the pecking order because he talked about leaving as he hasn't been offered a contract. At 29 he's still got a good few years in him and would easily get into our midfield. We will need a big squad next year as the games come thick and fast. Getting those 2 for nothing enables us to spean whatever money we have on getting goals into the team. 

Huddlestone, yes good just what we need, another "experienced" player on a big contract with a questionable attitude and inconsistent performance

35 minutes ago, mwj said:

Huddlestone, yes good just what we need, another "experienced" player on a big contract with a questionable attitude and inconsistent performance

35 minutes ago, mwj said:

Unfortunately you do need experience. It's only your opinion he has a questionable attitude and I've not watched Hull enough to judge his consistently and I doubt you have but we were linked with him last summer heavily at a time he was touted for England  and as for the contract he'll be on a free and I doubt he's on a massive wage at Hull so he won't be on anything near what Richards is on. Ultimately though we should only be asking is he an improvement on what we have and the answer is yes.

Disagree. We have a serious problem with attitude in the squad at the moment, we shouldn't be buying any old player just because they are an improvement on the pitch.

What slightly terrifies me is the world of the unknown that we're going in to.  I know the Speculation thread is always at best full of borderline lunacy, but this close-season more than most we have absolutely no idea who we're getting, not least because this close-season more than any other we don't even know which market the board will decide to go shopping in.  We can guess (or 'speculate' ...) but we have no historical yardstick.  Do we go hell for leather to try and get back up and out of the Championship at the first time of asking, in which case we buy top Championship, peripheral Premier League and speculative foreign-based players, or do we; as Hollis so terrifyingly put it; "not waste a good crisis" and use next season to strip the club down to its bare bones in order to build it back up "properly" and try to come back up in year 2 as a much more efficient outfit, in which case you possibly shop in a slightly lower market this summer.  All of this of course whilst operating at a time when the owner is still presumably trying to get shot of the place.

There are so many variables and directions we could choose to go in from the summer onwards.  Euro 2016 will be a welcome distraction but it'll be an entirely squeaky bum summer I think.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mwj said:

Disagree. We have a serious problem with attitude in the squad at the moment, we shouldn't be buying any old player just because they are an improvement on the pitch.

Out of interest at what age do you think we should draw the line? 29 is too old for you? 27? Like Micah Richards? 24? Like Bacuna? Or is it better too judge each player on there own merits. I agree with the squad attitude but it's not an age issue its a personality one!