Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

On 08/03/2016 at 19:57, Sam3773 said:

I don't think we need a new XI. I actually think we have some good players. Take Gana or Ayew and put them into a better squad and I'm sure they'll look great. I'd really like to keep:

Cissokho - He's been great since coming back.

Amavi - For once we have a bit of decent depth here. Would be good to see him back, challenging Aly.

Okore - I like him. Maybe because I have fond memories of the Okore/Clark partnership last season.

Clark - He makes mistakes, but he's physical. Could do with him down there to get the usual yellows.

Bacuna - I think he'll be a good asset in the Championship.

Ayew - If we can keep him alone I'll be happy. Passionate and a quality player.

Gestede - Proven at Championship level. I think he'll shine for us next year.

Adama - He'll tear things up and won't be easily bullied.

Gana - Been one of our best players this season

Veretout - Had some good games.

I think that's about it. Offload the rest and replace with quality. If it's a choice between keeping Guzan as backup or Bunn as backup, I'd opt for Bunn as I suspect his wages are lower and get a new first choice in. Toying with adding Hutton to the list as I like how he gets forward. Decided he was just a little too replaceable and probably on high wages.

I'd agree with this in terms of I'd like to see us trying to hold onto those players.

However, like I've said before, we definitely need to add a spine to the first XI. 

Goalkeeper, Centreback, Midfielder and striker. 
If we could sign just four solid players to fill those positions, even if they're only Championship level players who may not necessarily make the step up if we were to get promoted, I think we'd be in a good position if we could also hold onto a good chunk of our better players.

Obviously we'd have to pad those signings out with some squad players too, but in terms of first XI I think we'd be ok if we address those key areas.

• Like 2

There's an article in the Mirror today claiming we're looking to offload our "French flops", the flops supposedly being Amavi, Ayew, Veretout and Gana.

Words cannot describe how utterly stupid I find that. I'm just hoping the stupidity comes from the journalist and not our club.

• Like 3

Despite contracts, we have little control of players if they want to leave.  We have experienced that in the past as you know.

We have experienced it in the past, and we've managed to get decent fees in some cases. But lots of clubs have had players want to leave, who have been told to stay because of the length of their contracts. Why can't we do that?

It's this 'the players are in control at Villa' attitude that has resulted in us being done over by players.

Look at West Ham, Hull and Newcastle (just to name a few) when they went down. Inevitably some players left, but they also kept a lot of their better players. Do you not think that a lot of their players also wanted to leave?

Typical Villa attitude. Let's roll over and have our bellies tickled whilst letting expensive players who have FOUR YEARS on their contracts leave because they don't want to have a fight in the league THEY put us in.

• Like 1

Can we offer the likes of Gabby, Westwood, Hutton (and everyone else that no same club would buy) mutual termination?

It's an option on Football Manager so it must exist, right? :)

they would probably want the remainder of their contracts paid up in full including any potential bonuses.

hutton will be worth keeping next season, he tried hard and unlike most of the players, hes settled

• Like 1

Fox recently said about the prospect of relegation "We have taken significant steps to ensure we can cope financially". Quite what those steps are is open to debate but it would suggest it is a little less than: Closing down sale - everybody must go! Time will tell but I do not see us turning down many bids for players, or bringing many players in (other than on loan) or appointing any new manager who is currently employed because his present club would expect some compensation. :rolleyes:  

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-plan-transfer-liverpool-7527686

The 19-year-old striker's contract at Anfield will expire at the end of the season and he has shown no signs he plans to agree a new one

Aston Villa have made a move for Liverpool starlet Jerome Sinclair as they prepare for life in the Championship.

Teenage striker Sinclair is out of contract at the end of the season, talks over a new deal with the Anfield giants have stalled and he will be available for a compensation fee.

That appeals to Villa who are looking to rebuild their squad on a budget and have made enquiries about highly-promising Sinclair.

Watford made a £3m bid for Sinclair in January and are still keen but Villa are hoping to get the deal done on the cheap for this summer.

The 19-year-old has made made two appearances for Liverpool this season, netting once in the FA Cup draw away to Exeter.

19 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I suspect those accounts very much mean everybody is for sale. 

I'd be happy to sell every single one of them. We don't have anybody in the squad I am remotely interested in seeing next season. Every single one of them is crap in their own way. Some are even crap in more ways than one.

Clear the lot and start again

On 3/8/2016 at 19:57, Sam3773 said:

I don't think we need a new XI. I actually think we have some good players. Take Gana or Ayew and put them into a better squad and I'm sure they'll look great. I'd really like to keep:

Amavi - For once we have a bit of decent depth here. Would be good to see him back, challenging Aly.

Okore - I like him. Maybe because I have fond memories of the Okore/Clark partnership last season.

Clark - He makes mistakes, but he's physical. Could do with him down there to get the usual yellows.

I think that's about it. Offload the rest and replace with quality. If it's a choice between keeping Guzan as backup or Bunn as backup, I'd opt for Bunn as I suspect his wages are lower and get a new first choice in. Toying with adding Hutton to the list as I like how he gets forward. Decided he was just a little too replaceable and probably on high wages.

The problem is a lack of leaders and mental toughness, virtually none of the players listed have those qualities. Of that list the only players I'd be very keen to keep are Ayew, Adama, Amavi and Okore. Gana I'd like to stay but am convinced he will be off the first opportunity he gets. 

We really need leaders at this club. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

On 08/03/2016 at 19:57, Sam3773 said:

Cissokho - Has not been great, he has never been great. He is just less shit than Richardson and more importantly not Richardson ergo he is great

Amavi - Looked promising, however I believe he will want to leave as when he is fit he will be the only French person left here

Okore - Thinks he is brilliant and wants to leave, he is okay but nothing special. Less crap than our other CB's but that's hardly a glowing reference

Clark - 100% committed but a liabilty, probably worth keeping for the Championship though just about although I think wages may be an issue here as I'm not sure he a a relegation clause (not 100%) on that

Bacuna - Useless in a variety of positions. I don't thing he brings anything to the team

Ayew - Had his moments, but there is not a cat in hell's chance he will stay. He will be off to another PL team

Gestede - Can head the ball, unless we buy someone that can cross the ball there is zero point in having him because he can't do anything else

Adama - On way too much money, will not want to be on way less money. Back to Spain for Adama, he does not want to be here anyway and won't be what a waste

Gana - Is he good? Is he crap? Will go anyway so the argument is redundant. FWIW I don't think he is that good and the fact people are saying he is our best player this season tells you just how bad our squad is this season

Veretout - Lazy, goes missing and had about 3 decent games out of him. Doesn't understand why Sherwood dropped him, I would say it's fairly obvious as for the most part he has been crap.

• Like 2