Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

14 minutes ago, villa89 said:

You are in for a shock next season. Our current squad isn't good enough. We'll need to make a lot of signings.

We need a striker, that's it I think.  Our current squad would have stayed up had we had a striker I think.

• Like 2

I think for next season we should try and keep what we've got for the most part like Newcastle did.  I think only Ayew would attract any serious interest anyway.  Rudy would go back to scoring, especially if we line up with Adama and Amavi on the wings.

Edited by sharkyvilla
  • Like 1

Garde will not get a clear out. Can't see clubs lining up for many of our players. Ayew and possibly Okore will be gone. Veretout would probably be best to loan out to France. Gil and Sanchez we might be able to offload to Spain. The rest are here cause no one else will have them. If Garde don't get money we will be in the top half but not in anyway favourites for promotion.

9 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

We need a striker, that's it I think.  Our current squad would have stayed up had we had a striker I think.

Firstly a lot of our squad will leave, including some of our 'best' players, secondly we're woefully short both up front and at the back even for the championship. 

We need to spend around £20m net to have a chance of automatic promotion (I doubt we'll spend this much though). It's fair to say that you're going to be in for one mighty shock next season.

On 2/25/2016 at 14:11, Stevo985 said:

Sums up how I feel.

I really think that we SHOULD come up fairly comfortably. 

But my fear is that we are such a shambles behind the scenes that we'll **** it up. Remi won't be backed to bring in the right kind of player, or he'll end up leaving and we'll be back to square one, or we'll sell absolutely everybody we can meaning we have to start the squad from scratch.

If we were suddenly well run, I'd be confident. **** it, I'd actually be looking forward to it. But as it is I'm nervous.

I think this is just totally wrong. Let's assume that we retain our entire squad next season, then (using the same assumption) there will be at least two better teams in the league than us (whoever goes down with us). 

I also think that there are teams in the championship right now who are better than us (Hull, Burnley and Middlesbrough). There's really no situation where we 'should' go up without us spending a lot of money strengthening. Our squad right now is utter, utter shite and not, even by championship standards, good enough to go right back up. 

19 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Firstly a lot of our squad will leave, including some of our 'best' players, secondly we're woefully short both up front and at the back even for the championship. 

We need to spend around £20m net to have a chance of automatic promotion (I doubt we'll spend this much though). It's fair to say that you're going to be in for one mighty shock next season.

You don't need to spend anywhere near that to be up top at championship, SHA's squad costs about 2m I think.

Loans and freebies will have to do the job I'm afraid but then that's the transfer business of the vast majority of championship clubs so we'd be in good company at last.

If we keep,

Okore,Lescott,Amavi,Richards

Gueye,Veretout,Grealish,Adama,Gil,Bacuna

Ayew,Gestede,Kozak

Then we would have an ok squad which needs a quality keeper. Quality striker. Possibly midfielder.

I think with the striker and keeper we would look a different side.

An onform Grealish and settled Traore would change a lot. The new striker too.

Must keeps for me....Okore, Amavi, Traore, Grealish (year down there will do him good as he's blown it going to a decent team way he's played this year). Think those can stand out at this level. Keep a few squad players like Bacuna and Gestede, woeful in the prem but might do a job as it's a relentless Tuesday-Saturday-Tuesday slog of 46 games let's not forget which mainly explains the inconsistancy.

Important though you add 3-4 players who have experience of the championship, maybe a couple who've had a promotion or two as we desperately need leadership and know how in our team.

5 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

You don't need to spend anywhere near that to be up top at championship, SHA's squad costs about 2m I think.

Loans and freebies will have to do the job I'm afraid but then that's the transfer business of the vast majority of championship clubs so we'd be in good company at last.

Ah and Blues are in a whopping 7th place, doesn't really make much of a point does it.

We will if we want to go straight back up, it's as simple as that, top strikers for that division now command a fee of close to £10m, we need to be spending that on a striker alone. You're in for a shock if you believe we can get back up on the cheap. 

1 minute ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Ah and Blues are in a whopping 7th place, doesn't really make much of a point does it.

We will if we want to go straight back up, it's as simple as that, top strikers for that division now command a fee of close to £10m, we need to be spending that on a striker alone. You're in for a shock if you believe we can get back up on the cheap. 

After their efforts in the last few seasons I think SHA will be delighted at 7th, they could easily make the play offs which would be an incredible achievement considering they sold Gray in January. Clayton Donaldson is one of the most effective strikers in the championship, a free transfer for them.

Teams like Brighton and Preston are also in the play off mix having spent **** all.

I think it's a bit simplistic saying get a big money striker in and we'll be halfway there....when Blackburn went down they spunked 10m on Jordan Rhodes and have come nowhere near promotion, more likely getting relegated. Same for Fulham and signing Ross McCormack. Why as their team is very weak in other areas and they have clueless owners, sound familiar?

I think we need to be solid all over the pitch first, bit like Burnley who have reliable championship players in defence and midfield so could then add Andre Gray.

In any case Gestede has shown he can score goals at that level regularly, dosen't look likely based on his "efforts" this season but a lower level with poorer defenders he should score a few.

I think it's important we keep the players with a bit of pace. We don't have many but Amavi and Adama are must keeps if we want to be challenging near the top as most championship defences are very slow.

Gestede is shit and has had a couple of terrible seasons in that division, I don't think he would deliver for us, we need an Andre Gray type player and need to spend whatever it takes to get that sort of striker, without that we simply won't go up automatically. 

We need some big changes. We are spineless and need to invest right through the core of team. 

Losing is ingrained into these clowns. You don't just turn it off like a tap.

The fact they will be technically the best in the league and have the best CVs won't cut it. 

We need new recruits, we need to freshen up the squad. We need to move people on. 

We cannot afford to be arrogant and naive.

• Like 1

I realise that, to me the four players that sum up our losing culture are Westwood, Clark, Gabby and Guzan. They probably stand out to me as they're our four longest serving players in the squad so I'd try to get shot of those four before anyone else.

Some may argue for Westwood and Clark to stay but think Gardner needs a proper chance given he's fine for Forest and Baker as back up given he's had a full season playing at Bristol CIty and seems to be alright there.

That's what it's going to be really, players who have relegated us will still be playing for us next season just like they were tonight for Hull and will be for QPR. Supplemented by 4-5 new players although how much they cost and in what positions is anyone's guess.

5 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I realise that, to me the four players that sum up our losing culture are Westwood, Clark, Gabby and Guzan. They probably stand out to me as they're our four longest serving players in the squad so I'd try to get shot of those four before anyone else.

Some may argue for Westwood and Clark to stay but think Gardner needs a proper chance given he's fine for Forest and Baker as back up given he's had a full season playing at Bristol CIty and seems to be alright there.

That's what it's going to be really, players who have relegated us will still be playing for us next season just like they were tonight for Hull and will be for QPR. Supplemented by 4-5 new players although how much they cost and in what positions is anyone's guess.

The thing for me is those teams, to some extent, went down fighting...they just weren't good enough.

Garde is getting nothing out of this group, he has alluded as much on the training pitch. Lescott's apology summed it up.

I just get the feeling people think we are going to come back next season with this group outplaying the opposition. It has never been a question of talent for me. They don't have it in them. We maybe have two players in the whole squad with a set of bollocks and a heart. What makes people think they will give ANYTHING in pre season going into the Championship when they don't now.

I will happily get rid of double figures.

Edited by rodders0223
  • Like 1