Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

Just now, sne said:

True, we certainly didn't play to his strength.

But can we afford, and should we play with such a extremely limited player?

Therein lies the choice RDM has to make. Glad I'm not in his shoes :D.

I don't think affording him the time to perform is an issue if Xia is to be believed and I do think he's a good option to have on bench as I said earlier. I say keep him for another season and give him a chance as he's at least performed in this division before. With Ayew leaving and Kozak likely broken, it's probably worthwhile.

• Like 1

Gestede is alright as an option on the bench but we shouldn't be building the team around him, which is what we'd have to do, to make him affective. Blackburn did that and it didn't get them anywhere.

• Like 3

I am concerned that we may be stuck with some of the players we really need to get rid of. Di Matteo has a tough job on his hands, as he will need to work with the players we already have and also bring in players that will work with them.

The links to the likes of Gayle and Bamford are promising and hopefully we can get one of them. We are certainly lacking upfront and that is the first thing that needs to be looked at. I would like to see us looking at some pacey wingers too. It's important we address all of the issues asap, as we need to hit the ground running...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John said:

I was hoping we would have something nearer the following left with us at the end the summer window:

GK

Bentley, Steer.

DEF

Okore, Hutton, Clark, Toner, Amavi, Cissokho, Suliman.

MID

Westwood, Gana, Gardner, Grealish, Veretout, Lyden, Sinclair, Green, Gil. 

FW

Adama, Sellars, Ayew, Hepburn-Murphy, Bamford.

along with 4 loan deals with an option to buy from the likes of Chelsea, Manchester City/United, Liverpool, Spurs and Arsenal. 

Eminently sensible and not the total overhaul which may be impractical. I'd prefer better defensive options but very sensible

1 hour ago, Michael118 said:

Want to add also that I would be keeping Guzan unless we can sign Pantilimon who would be an awesome acquisition.

I don't think we can afford to keep Guzan. His confidence is completely shot and he had more than a hand in a number of the goals that we conceded last season. 

Think I'm more intrigued to see who leaves rather than who comes in.

I'd say we're in a relatively unique position in that I doubt we'd lose any sleep over any of them exiting, Grealish maybe but even that would be based purely on potential rather than contribution thus far. Whereas most relegated teams would fear losing their stars, put simply, we don't have any to worry about.

I wouldn't necessarily bring in a shitload of new players either, give the youth a chance, bring Gardner back into the fold, maybe even Baker, Steer and Robinson etc and see how we go for a season, dependent of course on Xia's expectations and RDM's remit / budget.

1 hour ago, Michael118 said:

One of the most undervalued at the moment in English football.

Guzan isn't far behind. I think he's good enough for a mid table premier league team when he is confident. Unless we can find someone above that standard I'm happy for him to stay.

Guzan is a useless sorry sack of shit who has been directly responsible for costing us points in the double figures range last season, he has to go, he's not good enough for any team in the premier league, total, unmitigated shite of the highest order.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Guzan is a useless sorry sack of shit who has been directly responsible for costing us points in the double figures range last season, he has to go, he's not good enough for any team in the premier league, total, unmitigated shite of the highest order.

Pretty OTT (surprise!) given his International status and the fact that he's just not "unmitigated shite" - however, it is probably best for both parties that he moves on.  His form last season (alongside the entire squad) was very poor.

37 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Hey, why don't you tell us how you really feel!

Benitez made some interesting comments recently about why he doesn't play with the classic 'English' mentality of wingers beating full backs and putting crosses in to big strong strikers to smash in. He said that is the easiest type of attack to defend against and the manager/defenders would be pretty furious to concede goals like that these days. Am paraphrasing obviously but it was something to that effect.

Benitez made some interesting comments recently about why he doesn't play with the classic 'English' mentality of wingers beating full backs and putting crosses in to big strong strikers to smash in. He said that is the easiest type of attack to defend against and the manager/defenders would be pretty furious to concede goals like that these days. Am paraphrasing obviously but it was something to that effect.

Worked for him last season at least.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Anyone got any clues about how good or bad Tommy Elphick is? Rumours doing the rounds on Twatter that he's gonig to join us, probably BS though.... 

Some Brighton fan started it. He seems pretty certain of it.

I'd like Bentley as our first choice keeper next season ideally, but was just looking through different options. David Marshall jumps out as a very good option if we could get him here, but if not, would anyone be against Boaz Myhill? Think he'd be a good option, wouldn't have to relocate and RDM signed him for WBA and Clarke played him so there's history between the coaches and him. 

• Like 2

I figured he was one of those who I must have watched a few times but I can't remember anything about his individual displays. As it turns out, he barely played this season (apparently had some injury issues), so I must have been confusing him with another of their centre-backs.