Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

18 minutes ago, skarroki said:

Pretty sure Donacien has been released, as his contract is up and there is no reason to extend it. He is League 2 standard at a push and will probably end up playing there if he improves his game, but shouldn't be kept on. 

Disappointing if true. I thought he had a lot of potential and was genuinely expecting it to work out for him here. I would be really surprised if he ended up spending his career in League 2.

• Like 1

I was hoping we would have something nearer the following left with us at the end the summer window:

GK

Bentley, Steer.

DEF

Okore, Hutton, Clark, Toner, Amavi, Cissokho, Suliman.

MID

Westwood, Gana, Gardner, Grealish, Veretout, Lyden, Sinclair, Green, Gil. 

FW

Adama, Sellars, Ayew, Hepburn-Murphy, Bamford.

along with 4 loan deals with an option to buy from the likes of Chelsea, Manchester City/United, Liverpool, Spurs and Arsenal. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BG_Villa_Fan said:

^ This midfield will get destroyed in the championship. So weak. 

Yeah, think it will struggle to, especially at the beginning.

Still better than having Sanchez or Westwood in it.

We need at least 1 solid new midfielder

Edited by sne

Just now, John said:

I was hoping we would have something nearer the following left with us at the end the summer window:

GK

Bentley, Steer.

DEF

Okore, Hutton, Clark, Toner, Amavi, Cissokho, Suliman.

MID

Westwood, Gana, Gardner, Grealish, Veretout, Lyden, Sinclair, Green, Gil. 

FW

Adama, Sellars, Ayew, Hepburn-Murphy, Bamford.

along with 4 loan deals with an option to buy from the likes of Chelsea, Manchester City/United, Liverpool, Spurs and Arsenal. 

Amavi, Gana, Ayew are all dead certs to leave IMO - should raise around £30m THOUGH...

In terms of offloading Gestede, if we had not signed him, and were linked with signing him, we would very quickly write off his last season as having a crap time in a crap team and look to all the goals he scored in the championship the previous season. And even last season he picked up a few goals. He'd be one of the first ones I'd keep.

As a back up striker, who can work his way into the first team 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, hippo said:

Amavi, Gana, Ayew are all dead certs to leave IMO - should raise around £30m THOUGH...

I agree that they look among the most likely to go but we need to hold on to our better players and get rid of those we need to. Easier said than done I accept but I trust RDM will do what he can to try to persuade the likes of these three to give it to the next window at least.   

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, YLN said:

In terms of offloading Gestede, if we had not signed him, and were linked with signing him, we would very quickly write off his last season as having a crap time in a crap team and look to all the goals he scored in the championship the previous season. And even last season he picked up a few goals. He'd be one of the first ones I'd keep.

I can see where you are coming from but he has the touch of a rhino on the floor. 

1 minute ago, John said:

I can see where you are coming from but he has the touch of a rhino on the floor. 

And his work rate was apealling 

3 minutes ago, John said:

Precisely the reason we're using him all wrong and that's probably why he's a target man. There's a reason why he did this:

OptaJoe @OptaJoe 21 - Rudy Gestede has scored 21 headed goals in league competition since Aug 2013; 6 more than any other player in the top four tiers. Leap.

Edited by JPAngel
Apologies for the formatting!

12 minutes ago, JPAngel said:

Precisely the reason we're using him all wrong and that's probably why he's a target man.

But will we play the sort of game he might need us to in order to give him the chance to come good next season? I myself doubt that we will and have my doubts that he would score goals for fun if we did. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John said:

But will we play the sort of game he might need us to in order to give him the chance to come good next season? I myself doubt that we will and have my doubts that he would score goals for fun if we did. 

Perhaps not all the time but I think he's a dynamite option to have. We've seen how effective a "big man, little man" combo can be in the past and as someone to chuck on to give us an outlet/battering ram up top he can't be a bad choice.

Imagine, knackered opposition defenders, 85th minute, on comes Gestede... That's a nightmare scenario for them if we use him correctly.

I wouldn't mind betting my footballreputation that at least on of our players who's been cast as a villain last season will be an hero next year. Regression (Progression) to mode

7 minutes ago, YLN said:

I just don't see RDM playing a wide man to sling crosses into Gestede 

8 minutes ago, JPAngel said:

Perhaps not all the time but I think he's a dynamite option to have. We've seen how effective a "big man, little man" combo can be in the past and as someone to chuck on to give us an outlet/battering ram up top he can't be a bad choice.

Imagine, knackered opposition defenders, 85th minute, on comes Gestede... That's a nightmare scenario for them if we use him correctly.

For that to work thou he needs to try.

Last season he was so immobile he made Fred's performance for Brazil against Germany in the world cup* seem like that of an hyperactive greyhound

*This one:

article-2685130-1F7DEEE400000578-464_634

Edited by sne

@sne He's a target man, if the ball is being passed around in front of him on the ground he can't get in to positions where he's effective. If the ball isn't being put out wide and crossed in, he's pretty much useless.

I'd love to see some stats on balls crossed into the box or even matches where we've had actual wingers on the pitch.

• Like 1

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Is Pantilimon the last good goal keeper left on the planet?

One of the most undervalued at the moment in English football.

Guzan isn't far behind. I think he's good enough for a mid table premier league team when he is confident. Unless we can find someone above that standard I'm happy for him to stay.

4 minutes ago, JPAngel said:

@sne He's a target man, if the ball is being passed around in front of him on the ground he can't get in to positions where he's effective. If the ball isn't being put out wide and crossed in, he's pretty much useless.

I'd love to see some stats on balls crossed into the box or even matches where we've had actual wingers on the pitch.

True, we certainly didn't play to his strength.

But can we afford, and should we play with such a extremely limited player?

46 minutes ago, YLN said:

Or you could judge him on his record of only really scoring well in one season and not assuming his YouTube clip was brilliant. I've seen enough of hit his year to realise he has zero movement and for him to have any chance to work we'd have to buy wingers to feed him and even then there's no guarantees as he's only scored well the season before we bought him. I'd gladly keep him as back up but I don't want him to be number 1 but if we got a decent offer I'd sell him. I've no idea what style RDM will want to play but I want movement from our strikers something we've lacked for a few years. 

• Like 2